It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida mom shot in back by 4-year-old son, deputies say

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12 I saw that term jacked up. What does that mean in American? In the uk jacking up to me sounds like something you do with a drug. Like jackinging up on heroin. Just thought it was a strange term to use for a child

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I doubt it was a Colt 1911. No 4 year old could engage the grip safety and the trigger at the same time (after undoing the manual safety). Should've bought a Colt lady!

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Posted in an article, possibly from her twitter

One of these people who call their firearm a toy to play with. Outspoken on the internet about the 2nd but leaves a cocked handgun on her vehicle seat with a 4 year old loose. Great job in instructing people what not to do.

A high-profile pro-gun activist was shot in the back by her four-year-old son after he found her pistol lying on the back seat of her truck just 24 hours after he boasted about his shooting skills online.

Jamie Gilt, 31, who posts about firearms on her social media accounts was driving through Putnam County, Jacksonville, Florida, on Tuesday in her truck when she was wounded after the toddler picked up the weapon and shot her in the back.

Link

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   

She is for gun sense. Good. Now maybe she has learned a lesson in gun sense.

Ironic that she says the right to protect her child with a gun trumps people's fear of guns. True. But she created a situation where she needed to protect herself from her child with a gun.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

No, her child tried to protect itself from her stupidity.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: BMorris

This is beyond stupid ! Do any of you nasty anti-gun clowns know anything about the function of a 1911. We don't know if the weapon was cocked an locked ? If it wasn't a child would have to rack a round into the chamber. Then manually hold down the back strap safety while pressing the trigger which would be beyond the reach of a child. If said weapon was not cocked and locked he would have to rack a round into the chamber and still hold down the grip safety WHILE pressing the trigger.
If said 1911 was cocked and locked he would have to disengage the manual slid safety, FIRMLY hold down the back strap
safety while simultaneously pressing the trigger if he could in fact reach the bloody trigger. I know adults with small hands that can't do this. I've had occasions where I could not engage the trigger due to lack of sustained pressure on the back strap. Additionally he would have to know all those procedures prior to being able to fire a 1911. Puff. WW11 solders would frequently have to wrap their grip safety to ensure their 1911 would go bang. Whatever !

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: dazbog
This is beyond stupid ! Do any of you nasty anti-gun clowns know anything about the function of a 1911.

Does it matter, Mr. name-caller?

The woman was shot with her own .45 caliber pistol by her 4-year old son. Are you disputing those facts?

ETA: I'm not anti-gun ownership, but I am strongly anti-ignorant gun owners.
edit on 3/10/2016 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I would envision the child holding it with two hands, one on the grip and the other for the trigger.
I have a Colt .45 auto (factory) and it doesn't take take much to hold in the grip safety and pull the trigger.

edit:

Will add that it does mean it is the same as her firearm.
edit on 3/10/2016 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: dazbog

I'm not anti-gun owner, I'm anti-idiocy.

Unless you consider guns to be toys and it to be fine to leave a weapon where a CHILD can pick it up and start playing with it, loaded or otherwise.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
How something like this happens.

How does a 4 year old kid shoot its mother in the back from the back of a car?

I can’t even figure how that could be possible.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
I can’t even figure how that could be possible.

Consider your firearms as toys to play with.
Have your 4 YO shooting your firearms and/or playing with them.
Leaved your charged firearm in the back seat.
Leave the child out of the car seat next to the firearm.
Wait a few...
edit on 3/10/2016 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: BMorris

What was such a 'professional' gun advocate doing leaving a loaded, chambered weapon with its safety off, anywhere a child could reach?

Depending on which weapon is was, there is no external safety.

reply to TaleDawn -

I wonder how many of these accidents does it need to occur before the gun advocates realize how badly America is behind on gun laws?

Please, tell us which perfect country you live in.
edit on 10-3-2016 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   
The worst and stupidest thing in the world is for an adult to either be shot by a child who is clearly not supposed to in access to it, or even having them point it at you because the kid knew where parent kept it. I had to deal with this personally once at a friends neighbor's once. They went to store, had my kids hanging out with one of theirs. I am just chilling in the yard enjoying the sun. My son comes over to tell me this boy has a gun in hand.

Thinking they playing a game, I turn to see this kid holding a .380 smiling pointing it around and waving it with his fingers on the trigger. I held my arm out and calmly asked him if he knew that he was not holding a toy after I had the other kids go around the back of the building. He full well realized it, and had to ask him without approaching if he could just show me with his fingers how old he was. That got his fingers off the trigger at least, and then I asked if he could put it down so I could see it to tell him if he got a good one.

He complied, I grabbed it asap, and spent the rest of my time waiting for everyone to get back explaining to young boy the reality of what just happened, and what could have happened. It was loaded and chambered, and I really wanted to pistol whip the father with his own when he got back. I just puled him to the side and gave him an ear full about whether he really wants to see his son live to his 7th b day, cuz anyone COULD have died that day from his ignorant negligence.

I cannot understand why there are still people who do not practice universal firearm safety protocols. Like it disappoints me when some of my friends show me their new equipment now and then, and they call me over cautious when I drop the mag and rack the slide back. Some will even get upset when I empty the chamber because they have to re-rack it. Like umm hello?? that's what being responsible is, especially if you are showing it off to a friend or group of friends. I know its fun, like when you show your neighbor the new circular saw you just got for your garage, but please don't get upset when others exercise universal precautions even if you don't.

This lady was a clear idiot.
edit on 3/10/2016 by AmericanRealist because: punctuation, grammar, etc

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Or jacking off which is something man does with his hands on th middle region of his body.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   
has everyone else read the same tail as i did ?

because several people seem to have extracted " facts " that i missed

its a funny old world - i suspect a lot of people just make it up to suit thier bias

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   
For shame.

A bad lapse in judgement or was she doing this despite of laws, etc., sure that will be known soon enough. Her social media career is done now she faces prison(for example if '10, 20, Life' applies here) and or a misdemeanor if then held responsible and of course this is making responsible gun owners(and supports of rights) look bad.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

This dim bulb is only very lucky she didn't cause her childs death..who will protect her child from her.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

An example?

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 01:02 AM
link   
If I read that correctly, the article states that the 4 year old was "Online boasting about his shooting skills."

I'm pro-gun all the way - I have a firearm, I call it my toy, it's got a name - I also would never allow my 4 year old to touch a firearm - and I also wouldn't allow a loaded gun ANYWHERE NEAR my child. I don't even allow my dogs to get near me while cleaning my firearms. I spent the money on the gun, I also spent the money on a safe. If you want to carry a loaded firearm, carry it on you! Not on your backseat where a booger-flinging mini-human can access it.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 03:22 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader
That story stinks like a three day dead fish.
I think she's protecting somebody by blaming this shooting on the kid. I've never seen a four year-old who could manage to actually pull the trigger on any 45 I've ever seen. I would need to see the kid's fingerprints on the gun before I would believe her story. Who else was in the back seat before the cops arrived?
I have, however, known of four year-olds who could manage to get themselves out of their federally approved child seats.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join