It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A little trick my Mom showed me

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Treespeaker
I used to work Shock Trauma, and I now am a Forensic Nurse. The brain kicks into survival mode when trauma occurs. Most people would be amazed at how well the brain can shut down your body's ability to feel pain, when being aware of the pain, will prevent the person from removing themselves from a more dangerous or life threatening situation.

People have moved through fire, they have moved with broken or missing limbs, they have walked miles with injuries that would normally kill you right away, under normal circumstance. Almost all will tell you they didn't feel anything during the trauma.

It even works with thirst and hunger. Once the brain realizes that there is no food or water coming in, it shuts down the signals for thirst and hunger. If you go without food or water long enough, not only will the brain shut down the body's ability to generate those signals, it will shut down your ability to even take in food or water.

The brain is one of the least understood parts of our body. It continues to constantly amaze us. It says a lot about us as a species, that we continue to put such restrictions and limitations, on our brain, when it is constantly surprising us in its amazing complexity.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   

This is placebo at work

Great story, I would not call it Placebo - placebo usually means no active ingredient; You used your mind and body in re-routing the bodies "normal" response

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Yeah.

The fight or flight response, and a way to slow and stop it, or reverse and start it. Creating pockets in time...to do what?

Not a cure for age or death.

No matter how you slice it starting with finding the positive in a situation leads to understanding the next lesson on the road.

So I have had quite a few negative experiences, and learned my fair share and then some.

Knowing that I am confined to watch from here on out in life, it allows me to fuel my desire to make positive change in my surroundings. And is like kicking against the goad but not really....the rewarding feeling is better than what came before.

My kids will never have to experience what I had to, nor a lot of folks in my surroundings.

I managed to change the path My kids and friends would have to face for a positive outcome over a long duration.

Then moved from that with what I understood.

So why I am sure ....the sensation told me I'd watch from then on, because the sum of my understanding caused my death and I was left with a choice ,I couldn't help myself I had to see it play out because it was the thrive.

So describing not doing anything becomes more and more complex.

You find what creates balance in your life then you keep balancing, walking on a razor and money is not an object but an obligation.

I love to cook so the recipe analogy is good.

What limitations? Other than death I mean?

I have spend my life reading non-fiction. And a few good stories.

It may have been because of a great person like you! Otherwise I guess I would have been gone long ago.

The folks in my life have really made an impact on me clearly.

Including everyone who cared to reply to me in the thread, thank you.

edit on 9-3-2016 by Treespeaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I once had my entire arm chopped off and my mom had it sewn back on in less than 3 minutes. She sprayed some Bactine on it and I was back to being a special ops weapons and hand to hand combat expert for a highly classified military branch in no time.

Basically, my mom>your mom

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Great strory and will give it a try

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: BrokedownChevy
You bet. Your mom is definitely better than my mom. I hope you treat that special lady in the manner she deserves. My dad accidentally cut of his pinky finger, all my mom did was wrap up his hand to stop the bleeding, stuck the amputated finger in saline soaked gauze, and drove my dad to the ER.

Think about the time and money my mom would have saved if she had had your mom's skills.

She definitely deserves her propers.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Outstanding OP and thanks for sharing.

A little trick that I learned when I was young and still use very successfully today...although not pain related..

When I get hiccups..I take a moment to breath slowly but comfortably and focus on my breathing...then I simply fully believe/imagine I simply do not have the hiccups and they stop. I can usually get it done in less than 30 seconds at most.

I can also do a trick that kind of freaks my friends out...where if they have the hiccups...I tell them to breath slowly, relax and look into my eyes...I tell them to imagine they are seeing through my eyes...I then imagine I am them looking out through their eyes (what it feels like to be present in their body and have the hiccups) and once I have that vibe going I "insert" the thought "I don't have the hiccups" and maybe 8 out of 10 times I can take away their hiccups in less than a minute. Sometimes I don't say anything and just ask them to look at me for minute quietly and their hiccups stop. that always freaks people out. It developed as an instinct as a child and I really don't know why it works.

edit on 10-3-2016 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I don't recall the source now as it's been years, but I am able to stop most pain by lying on my back and starting from my toes upward and making that part of my body pain free in my mind. It's as though the absence of pain creeps slowly up my body, and I feel the skin become numb to pain as it creeps upward. Most people do not feel a specific area of their body like say their calf or knee or thigh unless they touch it.

But with this method awareness of the absence of pain follows the feeling in all the surface as it rises up my body. I can only describe it as like a sensory deprivation chamber and being suspended in it. Once I have imagined this all the way up to my head, I am pain free. One might say its akin to Transendental meditation where you are in a meditative place, yet aware of your surroundings if you need to return to everyday conciseness.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I had a similar experience growing up in Poland. I think this was part of the Slovak / Pagan tradition, but the thinking and method was similar.

So if we got hurt in a localised area, my mum would put her hand over it with fingers spread around the injured area and palm hovering around the middle. Then with repeated gentle strokes gather the fingers together towards the center of the pain. All the while repeating phrases to the effect of: "gather the pain into a ball, all the pain is moving into a small ball" and after a while of that she would gesture that she is actually picking the pain out of the body and throwing it out.

A few of those always worked. I've never been sure if it was just a silly games mums play to make their kids feel better or whether it actually worked.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Mind over matter. You'd be surprised what the brain is capable of. I used to do something similar with headaches and freezing sensations. In my opinion I believe its possible to have actual control over autonomous functions such as releasing painkiller chemicals, self regulate body temperature or even alter one's own serotonin levels.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   

wow thanks for sharing

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Guided imagery. Most RN's know about this. We learn it in school.

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Its nice to see some one else knowing about placebo's and their true nature because not many people know or can even articulate practical mental shifts in awareness.

My own story of the same technique is this but i have knowledge about it also. I started removing head aches at around the age of 17, i am a fairly conscious individual and i had a real bad head ache this one time, i was using the vitalizing before quite a bit before i had the head ache that day but didnt really practice much with it but i would feel around my brain, just sat chilling feeling energys and moving them shifting pressure almost from left to right in my head, it felt weird and tingle, too much pressure as well so i stopped messing around.

Anyway i got this head ache, thought i can remove it, i concentrated on it and i separated it, like pushed it around my brain and the pain faded, iv been removing pain ever since. I dont even hiccup anymore, i started to control my hiccups and everytime i hiccup now the consciously input subconscious programming activates and i dont hiccup again but i feel the shift in my pipe of energy move that i first started to move with the tactile imaging but it does it automatically rather than me willing it, in that respect the minds a dangerous thing to change.

PS. I read later that the technique for doing this is called mental transmutation, it is written in the kybalion : chapter 3 - Mental Transmutation, which was written in the 1960-80s and its from the hermetic philosophy/religion. Its a philosophy that focuses purely on mind over matter, the universe is mental, matters mental, every things mental they say and i believe them because ive experience it.

The other technique of visualization where like your looking with your hands like grabbing something from down the back of a seat and its like your concentrating and been more aware of the hand than any other part of your body is called tactile imaging.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
This is a perfect example of consciousness being the creator of your reality. This is also what "new agers" call "energy manipulation". Same thing different terms.

The theory goes, pain, or pressure, is consciousness focused on one area of the body causing a build up of energy and awareness which makes you feel that area of the body more. By pushing your awareness away from that specific area and focusing on another area of the body, you literally are moving the bulk of your consciousness out of the injured area into another area. This causes less pressure and less registered pain.

You can try this experiment right now. Pick any area of your body, focus all your intention on that area, whether its your elbow, your feet, your eyes, anywhere. Focus all your awareness on that part of your body for about 5 minutes and you will feel more blood flow to that area, you might even being to feel your pulse in that area. Now you can move this pressure and awareness around your body by focusing on different areas. This can help in painful situations, or healing, or just because it feels good.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
double post
edit on 13-3-2016 by booyakasha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 04:17 PM
link   

What a beautiful story and trick !!

Will remember, and try, you know, when Mr. Payne comes a-knockin.

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 06:42 PM
link   

You are so right, consider a Dolphin if you try to get blood out of its flipper, it will close down the blood supply to the extraction point. If the Dolphin is badly injured it just controls the pain and heals the wound providing it isn't too bad. Humans must be able to do this as well if taught how to internalize, the pain has no evolutionary or survival use in fact if left it's a dangerous distraction as far as survival goes. I am pretty sure I have done this with teeth if the tooth was bad i would just concentrate on it and it would get looser over a few weeks and then one day it would just pop out no pain or blood for that matter.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join