It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy International Women's Day! How you could you help Gender equality in your life?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Willingly

Cake or death?
Which one would you choose?

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrsNonSpecific
a reply to: filthyphilanthropist

What are we not equal in? other than pay, and in some countries rights, job opportunities and education.
We just aren't equal. Our physical differences are numerous:

14 real differences

Brain differences

Of course, there is always a margin of exception, and we can obviously adapt and change ourselves. Still, men and women are different (not equal), but our differences compliment one another (equal value). That lack of equality manifests in the world around us up to and including gender roles and pay discrepancies. I hate to make this sound so cold, but women make less than their male counterparts because men negotiate for higher margins of income. Plenty women do too, and they don't make less.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

I'm not a professional, but might be occasionally intuitive. It sounds to me like you two have defined your roles quite some time ago, and your hubby might be a tad more comfortable with them than you are.

Never too late to have a real talk. Who knows? Maybe the change you are able to negotiate will provide benefits for both of you. Perhaps you two might rekindle your passion, or enjoyment of time together if you both feel satisfied.

I admit this is a bit afar from your OP, so I will bring it back around by answering your original question. Happy Women's Day, by the way! I will help gender equality by talking with people who are receptive about gender paradigms and roles, and hopefully counsel those who wish it toward an honest and useful discourse within their relationship that allows them both to realize a harmonious balance.

That sentence was a mouthful, yeah?

Gender equality in the workplace is going to be a tough nut to crack. No pun intended. I think it is getting better, but not fast enough. I don't think legislation is the answer. [some] Women (in general) are already working harder than their counterparts for the same recognition. The human mindset must change, and the archaic good-ol'-boyness must contain itself to male gatherings.

You have to understand -- and I'm sure you do -- that most men are really grown up kids. Things that amuse us as children are still amusing. We can't help it.(generalization warning) In that same way, we tend to glamorize women and think of them in a feminine way, rather than as, say, coworkers toward a common goal. We can't help checking women out. Those of us that are smart learn to do it furtively. Those of us that evolve understand that women can do the same job, and even enjoy the realization of it.

We're living in history. Our ancestors will look back on this time and we will seem backward and primitive. We are. It takes two to tango.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I helped create gender equality that day by not celebrating womens day?

The day before had been Grandmothers day, then there is Mothers day, and there is no Grandfathers day, Fathers day goes basically unnoticed... I, frankly, get uncomfortable with all this celebration of various female roles, in which it is never a day to celebrate my husband similarly.

But I'm one of the X Gen who really doesn' t feel she suffered any injustice as a woman in my life, and am hostile against the new Princess wave and their Safe Spaces, while in some other countries, women suffer for real. Us in the first world have no idea what real sexism is experiencially. It seems disrespectful to those that do to focus on our "need" to create more of it where we are. Geezus, we already have more rights than men - we can have a man put in jail because our "yes" doesn't count later because we had chosen to get drunk before saying it!

I'm more ashamed of this younger generation of women.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Provide better child care for all employees supported by senior citizens who are looking to do something sociable and constructive in their retirement
edit on 10-3-2016 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: MrsNonSpecific

Cake or death?

That's Eddie's question. And my answer is: More wine!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join