It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy International Women's Day! How you could you help Gender equality in your life?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Hi People, (was guys, until someone pointed out the obvious irony)

Today is International Women's Day. At my work they did a pledge board about how you would pledge to create a flexible and non gender bias working environment in the company. We shall see if they put these things into practice.

My pledge was to be understanding of people's circumstances and adjust my way of working to accommodate them.

What do you think you could do to support gender neutrality in your workplace or home life?

Just a question.

Thoughts please.

edit on 8/3/2016 by MrsNonSpecific because: ironic correction

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Wait, is that why it's free pancake day at IHOP?

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: MrsNonSpecific
By ignoring idiotic concepts like "Women's Day."

I treat everyone with as much respect as they deserve already.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Well if the women would just get back into the kitchen then they wouldn't have to worry about the treatment in the workplace!

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

I do agree with you we are all human, however the workplace does still hold some gender bias and pay gaps. Having a day to make people think about it isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it is kind of the pink elephant in the room at times.

Some countries are a lot further behind in their gender equality agendas, if any, than where I am sat in the UK.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

That would just encourage the EU to issue HSSE Regulations at home, as a homemaker technically works from home.
Ergonomic sofas are coming your way, and black and yellow hazard tape for the stair risers.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Fantastic, I am all for equality... Whilst we are at it maybe we could bring to light and stop the man bashing from the third wave feminist brigade. Making it social unacceptable to label all men (Insert horrible stereotype here). All whilst totally ignoring all real situations that are affecting women the world over..

RA

edit on 8-3-2016 by slider1982 because: edit

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I probably wouldn't open a thread on this topic with "Hi guys" for starters.

edit on 3/8/2016 by Klassified because: quotes

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrsNonSpecific
What do you think you could do to support gender neutrality in your workplace or home life?

Ban the wearing of ties by males in office environments. Allow males to wear tee-shirts which are effectively what female blouses are.
Allow males to wear shorts in hot offices so they have the same breezy freedom for legs as females have.
...then we've got equality.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   

edit on 8-3-2016 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I completely agree. A rather large building society company based in Swindon has a completely unfair dress code policy which is Gender eschew.

Girls/ women come in leggings *cringes* as a form of business dress, boys/men aren't allowed to wear jeans or shorts.
edit on 8/3/2016 by MrsNonSpecific because: typo

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Wow, you are a breath of fresh air!
Many years ago I challenged the 'tie' thing in the civil service and got permission/consent/exemption to not wear one because I argued it was discriminatory, same with shorts one boiling hot Summer.
They gave in to avoid a formal challenge supported by the union...the union begrudgingly backed me because I was technically correct, although they didn't really want the fight.
I was just taking the piss for a laugh though.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Rikku

Sure it is. We use it the same way as everyone else.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Ban the wearing of ties by males in office environments. Allow males to wear tee-shirts which are effectively what female blouses are.
Allow males to wear shorts in hot offices so they have the same breezy freedom for legs as females have.
...then we've got equality.

Any sort of gender-specific clothing expectations should be phased out. Ties are only acceptable (taken seriously) when they are on men and that gives men an automatic illusion of authority or expertise. Likewise, like you said, allow the men to wear freakin' shorts (or skirts if shorts are simply not allowed).

Many professional businesses have grown up finally and are far less opinionated on corporate dress codes. But some still cling to false paradigms of the 50's.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Nothing. Everything I find beautiful is woman. I respect women as I do my own gender. What more must I. I cant wait to get to the point of my life where I can shower the woman of my life with love and flowers for no reason but that it's a Wednesday and I just felt intense love.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Any sort of gender-specific clothing expectations should be phased out. Ties are only acceptable (taken seriously) when they are on men and that gives men an automatic illusion of authority or expertise.

Is there a piece of women's business dress that does the same? Hmmm..

Or is it just sexy when we wear pencil skirts?

Just asking...

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rikku

originally posted by: Klassified
I probably wouldn't open a thread on this topic with "Hi guys" for starters.

in the uk, 'guy's' is not gender specific.
just a casual reference to you (plural).

It's not necessarily here either. Just teasing the OP.

edit on 3/8/2016 by Klassified because: missed a word

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Everybody get a sex change!

link   

a reply to: Abysha

Any sort of gender-specific clothing expectations should be phased out. Ties are only acceptable (taken seriously) when they are on men and that gives men an automatic illusion of authority or expertise.

Is there a piece of women's business dress that does the same? Hmmm..

Or is it just sexy when we wear pencil skirts?

Just asking...

Well yeah, it totally works both ways. But comparing the "sexy" of pencil skirts with the "respect" of ties isn't really "equal". That's part of the problem of overcoming the "sex appeal" vs "competency" dichotomy so many buy into.

But yeah, I totally see what you are saying.

link   

originally posted by: Abysha
Likewise, like you said, allow the men to wear freakin' shorts (or skirts if shorts are simply not allowed).

Haha, I threatened the skirt with my senior manager because I knew I'd win that on the discrimination argument, this was early 90's, looking back now the civil service was pretty advanced in employee rights in my mind.
It was funny forcing their hand though.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join