It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK question: Would you vote for Richard Branson as Prime Minister?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Hey nonspecific!

That was interesting, especially to me...so thank you.
I've actually been thinking 'along the same lines', and recently wrote (for my own amusement) an article on Why George Clooney Should be President (of the U.S.).
I had thought about posting it here as a thread, but after reading the response to yours...I'm just not up for the arguments. I do agree that some people have better credentials (in my opinion) than those who actually run (no specific country).

Anyways, S&F for you,
jacy

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

George Clooney for President!

*Rushes out to make life size cut out and banners... Just for the bedroom*

Could you imagine how he would look in suits in the White House conference room. Phwoooooaaaaarrrr!!

Ronald Reagan did it, he set the President.

*A Bum Bum Tisch*

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Why would anyone vote for a tax exile who is not prepared to pay his taxes to The U.K. ?

Why not?
I lawfully avoid as much tax as I can. If he's not breaking the law then I don't care.
...or do you have some moral argument about it?

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Why would anyone vote for a tax exile who is not prepared to pay his taxes to The U.K. ?

Have you seen some of the other people we have given the job to?

What about all the expenses that the MP's claim for?

Is he really any worse than Cameron or Blair?

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: MrsNonSpecific

Lol...

There are a lot of good reasons for him, besides his pretty face. He and his wife make quite the dream-team.
I think they are a stellar pair, very humane individuals...definitely outclass certain presidential wannabe's, no names mentioned.

jacy

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

For sure!
...I wouldn't vote for him if he was standing in my constituency though, the Lib-Dem candidate is a proper hard working chap who does loads of advocacy work for local citizens. I personally know him, and I trust him...that's worth much more to me than business reputation.

I'm not a Lib-Dem voter though, I just respect the local candidate for what he does for 'the people'.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Why not? I lawfully avoid as much tax as I can. If he's not breaking the law then I don't care. ...or do you have some moral argument about it?

Are you being serious ?

How could a Primes Minister have the moral standing while asking the U.K. population to pay their taxes, when he himself avoids doing so.

It's like an alcoholic asking everyone else to stop drinking.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Why not? I lawfully avoid as much tax as I can. If he's not breaking the law then I don't care. ...or do you have some moral argument about it?

Are you being serious ?

How could a Primes Minister have the moral standing while asking the U.K. population to pay their taxes, when he himself avoids doing so.

It's like an alcoholic asking everyone else to stop drinking.

But tax is deducted at source? you do not pay tax unless you are a company or sole trader and then you need to deal with the tax man not the PM.

Do you think that all the current MP's pay their fare share of taxes or do you think they use expensive accountants and loopholes to avoid paying it?

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Yes, I'm serious.
If he is avoiding tax in a lawful manner then good luck to him.
I exploit tax legislation so I have no problem with anyone else doing the same. If you have a problem with it then campaign the government to change the rules.
You could advocate a system such as the only two countries in the world who tax citizens on overseas earnings, Eritrea and the US.
Good luck with that, I would advocate against it though.

Nope, if it is legal then I don't give a #...you can bleat about the morality as much as you like but really your anger should be directed at the legislation, not the person taking advantage of it.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   

I think you are loosing the plot here.

As a Tax Exile, Branson can only spend a maximum of 183 days in The U.K.

So i would assume his Deputy PM covers the other 153 days he's not allowed in the country ?

You gave me a good laugh anyway.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Ah, of course under those circumstances one would expect him to be resident in the UK.
If he changed his domiciled status prior to taking office then I would have no problem.
...no plot being lost here fella

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

If he changed his domiciled status prior to taking office

And Pigs Can Fly

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Oh of course it is unlikely but this entire thread is hypothetical so I'm just running with the imagination.
I don't give a toss that he avoids paying as much tax as he can in the UK though, I do the same, and if being domiciled in say the Cayman Islands was a realistic option for me I'd do the same....ooh the outrage eh?

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Depends entirely on what his policies were and if they appeared to be realistically achievable.

His public persona is entirely a media construct thats been meticulously crafted and I have no way to gauge the reality behind it. Maybe he's a good dude, maybe he's not.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Oh of course it is unlikely but this entire thread is hypothetical so I'm just running with the imagination.
I don't give a toss that he avoids paying as much tax as he can in the UK though, I do the same, and if being domiciled in say the Cayman Islands was a realistic option for me I'd do the same....ooh the outrage eh?

You may have the beginnings of a plan

www.independent.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join