It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK question: Would you vote for Richard Branson as Prime Minister?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
This came about in a conversation about Trumps presidential efforts when a friend of mine could not understand why he seems to have so much support.

I said maybe the US population are sick and tired of politicians and maybe a good leader would be a businessman,someone with a proven track record of managing a large organisation.

A country is quite similar to a business, it has books to be balanced, profit to be made, deals and agreements to be made, People to be looked after and administrated.

So I asked him if he would vote for Richard Branson who has a lot of business experience and negotiation skills as opposed to a career politician like Cameron or any of the others out there.

We both said it was something that deserved consideration.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific
No way man.

He is just as much as capitalist scum as others.

Sure he has a nice beard and long hair but the doesn't mean anything to me.

Virgin will own most of the NHS in a few years and he knows it. It's not going to be pretty.

Only my lowly opinion though!

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Check this out...

He's as bad as the rest of 'em.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
No way man.

He is just as much as capitalist scum as others.

Sure he has a nice beard and long hair but the doesn't mean anything to me.

Virgin will own most of the NHS in a few years and he knows it. It's not going to be pretty.

Only my lowly opinion though!

But could it not be said that his clever actions in amassing wealth could be utilised beneficially when running a country.

He is a clever chap when it comes to getting what he wants.

As to the NHS it could be argued that some level of privatisation could actually improve the service but I am not sure how I feel about that as a concept.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

A country is quite similar to a business, it has books to be balanced, profit to be made, deals and agreements to be made, People to be looked after and administrated.

Except for a country the books don't need to be balanced, the aim isn't to make a profit, the deals and agreements are completely different and I'm not sure that either countries or businesses do a good of looking after and administering people.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

originally posted by: nonspecific

Except for a country the books don't need to be balanced, the aim isn't to make a profit, the deals and agreements are completely different and I'm not sure that either countries or businesses do a good of looking after and administering people.

But who would you prefer to run things someone with a proven track record of achieving goals and getting results or someone with a track record of being good at talking about how they would do things.

Think of it like a football team choosing a manager, do they choose someone who has managed a team or was a coach/player and has an actual understanding and experience or do they pick someone who has never actually been a football manager but can talk a lot about how they would manage a football team if they got the chance?

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Maybe......

Depends on what platform he ran on.

I do admire the man. Whether or not he would make a good PM?
Not to sure.

Though our system works diffrent than the US as you dont elect a PM, you elect a MP. So its more a case of would I elect him if he ran for my local constituency.

Really a UK equivalent of Trump would be katie hopkins.......

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Joseph Chamberlain was a businessman (he made a fortune out of selling nails) and had prospects of party leadership and the top office.
Obviously the crucial difference is that under our system he had no chance of jumping straight from one to the other. He had to win the trust of other party leaders first, over a term of years, and get their support.
That is because we don't actually vote for Prime Ministers. We vote for the people who vote for them.

edit on 8-3-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
He doesn't pay enough tax.

He's in bed with the rest of them... See this link www.theguardian.com...

The only thing going for him is his PR department. His fakeness is nauseating.

Not a fan.

I'm going to stick to my posting rule and get out of this political chat!

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Really a UK equivalent of Trump would be katie hopkins..

Surely a more direct equivalent (setting aside specific views) would be Alan Sugar? I'm surpised nobody has mentioned him.
edit on 8-3-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Yes, I was thinking hypothetically and if he was the leader of a major party.

I will google Josheph Chamerlain.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

originally posted by: crazyewok
Really a UK equivalent of Trump would be katie hopkins..

Surely a more direct equivalent (setting aside specific views) would be Alan Sugar? I'm surpised nobody has mentioned him.

I did think of Alan Sugar but figured the question would be pointless using him as an example.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
branson, creating a party and running it is highly unlikely.
he is a labour guy and any left leaning party gets crucified by the murdoch press.
the crazies and far right have latched onto ukip.
there's no chance he could run.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Alex Ferguson would be my man one of the most successful leaders of men in recent history. Wouldn't stand for any crap and would put those politicians in their place and keep them there

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: stinkelbaum
he is a labour guy and any left leaning party gets crucified by the murdoch press.

It was more posing the question of if you would feel better with a businesman with a track records of sucess over a career politician who's main job is to protect his parties interests.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: stinkelbaum

No its just the Labour brand name thats ruined.

Their fault for #ing up royally.

Sorry but there name is now sernonomous with war, expense scandels, wasteful spending, disasterous immigration policys and out right incompetence.

Maybe a new left wing party should form that ditches the tainted labour name Blair dragged through the mud ands goes back to labours old values?

If corbyn had sense he would boot every former new labour MP out the party and change its name.....
edit on 8-3-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   

My point being that I don't think there is much correlation between being a good businessman and being a good leader for a country. The skill sets required are very different.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

My point being that I don't think there is much correlation between being a good businessman and being a good leader for a country. The skill sets required are very different.

So what is it that a politician possesses that an international cross platform business man does not?

Someone like Branson knows how to do a deal, knows how to give people what they want and how to go about it ect.

What skills is he or someone similar missing?

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Just popping my head back in....

Branson would make a good politician. That's the bad thing!

Right I'm definitely off this time!

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Why would anyone vote for a tax exile who is not prepared to pay his taxes to The U.K. ?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join