It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it me, or has there been an influx of trolls in the past few months?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Its the nitpickers that really can send a thread spinning off the rails and into the burn bin.....
The ones that add nothing to discussion and insist on you presenting your poetic licence for every little alliteration or simile....never once commenting on the gist of the thread....
Or the neat freaks....
You spelled something wrong,... got the wrong date......on and on...ad nauseum...

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   

There's someone who keeps getting banned and who just seems to sign up again and start straight back in to the same thread topics.

One of his previous names was gnosisfaith but he's had many of them now.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I was thinking along these lines just the other night when Boscowashisnamo posted the thread referenced. I've noticed that there seems to be a rise in the attacks on people of faith and gun owners. Random posts that seem to come from bots.

I don't read or comment in many of the political threads but I've witnessed many otherwise fine threads be immediately derailed by a few posters with attacks that almost seem coordinated. No factual back-up, just useless repetition of negatives.

And then there are the members of the Cult of Authority who will brook no criticism of the "legal" powers, no matter how heinous the infractions of freedom. They claim ultimate knowledge of all things legal.

Yes, they're easily spotted because no matter what handle under which they post, their grammar errors usually give them away because they're consistent.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Some of us know of at least one haunting the religion forums, having a series of accounts, some of them simultaneous, and getting banned multiple times. Recognisable, as someone has observed, by interests, posting style, and attitude. A one-man tsunami.
I don't think that one has any devious plan to discredit any of the various viewpoints he takes up. In one of his personas, he has said that he is here to enjoy himself, and I believe him.

edit on 8-3-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 02:18 AM
link   
It isn't just the OP that has noticed.

One cannot present anything here of interest without being bombarded by self righteous idiocy... This was once a great site to "discuss" various topics of which were fringe thinking. Now, it's a mouthpiece for mainstream bashing of observations which once carried merit.

It is sad, but I suppose it was inevitable.

All the more reason to join paid forums where like minded folks can converse without being harassed by some threatened opposition.

As far as ATS becoming one of those places, it's too late. I wouldn't waste my money to present a topic which would take up valuable time to defend, only for the purpose of making a point. It is in fact pointless.

I do have a sense of humor, which is why I keep coming here. The joke of it all still makes me laugh on occasion.

Moving on is inevitable.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147
To be clear, I would describe a 'troll' as a person who posts deliberately provocative messages with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.

'Truth' hurts.
Sometimes bringers of 'Truth' are considered 'trolls', because they might make someone 'uncomfortable'.
I have been called a troll on here by an ignorant twit who couldn't understand what I offered, but took offense at something that I wrote.
Truth is often unpleasant (to the ego), and it is NOT 'falsifiable'!

Once we have a 'category of people' who 'no one likes', what's to stop any one of us from being dismissively tossed into it?
Just say something unpleasant to the sensitive type and BAM, you are a 'troll' and dismissed.

On the other hand, it is predominately trolls who inspire me to support abortion into the 140th trimester! *__-

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:11 AM
link   

I have not really noticed. I would say there are less trolls than ever before.

Maybe you can give us some example threads that you think have trolls in them and we can decide for ourselves.

No need to point out who you think is trolling.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:28 AM
link   
a reply to: BIGPoJo

In the spirit of conducting research, I might suggest the following searches for you.

Anything involving:

Climate
Politics
Sandy Hook
Electric Universe
Sovereign citizen movement
Boston Bombing
Fukushima
Gun rights
God

You will find more trolls than a 90's toy store.

If you haven't noticed, you haven't paid attention.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:47 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

And then there are the members of the Cult of Authority who will brook no criticism of the "legal" powers, no matter how heinous the infractions of freedom. They claim ultimate knowledge of all things legal.

These mindless drones seem afflicted by some sort of OCD to have the last word in everything.

Sad but come a time when finding another forum not infected by this disease is the only way.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Light, it is said, can turn a troll to stone, at which point they can be smote to ruin with blunt instruments.

Therefore, use the light of intellect to turn them to stone, then lay about them with the blunt force of the truth, and crush their bones to dust! Also, the alert button is your friend!

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 04:16 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI a one man tsunami

surely a troll would take that as a compliment

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Trolls I can sort of understand.

I have more difficulty in understanding people who engage with them post after post. It becomes apparent that one is being baited by a troll - as opposed to being robustly debated - after just a couple of exchanges and yet people just won't let it drop.

Then everything descends into a slanging match, ruffled feathers, and a need to save face. So a win for the troll.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 04:37 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr
I'm more puzzled about where he gets the time. Surely this is not the school holidays even in Australia? (I think "Australia" for time-zone reasons and the occasional "good day").

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

No, no...

It's "G'day" in Australia, and "good day sir/madam" in the UK.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
But surely in the UK "Good day" has been a form of farewell, not a greeting? Or is that just among southerners?

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Well, it depends on the scenario. I am an anachronism of a fellow, so I tend to greet, and farewell with the phrase in equal measure. That's nothing to do with where I live, just my own personal habit. If my diction and verbosity were dictated exclusively by geography, I would more than likely greet people, and bid them farewell by telling them to go and copulate with themselves with great enthusiasm.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 05:50 AM
link   

I've noticed that as well. What is even more concerning is that some "respected" longstanding members seem to start derailing threads or clog up the arteries with minimal posts that try to disparage the source quoted .

One wonders if their real reason for being here is less than genuine - ie some Govt agency shill

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 06:35 AM
link   

reply to TrueBrit

Keep it up both of you, in a thread about Trolls....sheesh...you've been long enough, you should know better

en.wikipedia.org...

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion,[3] often for their own amusement

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

reply to TrueBrit

Keep it up both of you, in a thread about Trolls....sheesh...you've been long enough, you should know better

en.wikipedia.org...

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion,[3] often for their own amusement

although technically correct I always feel that off topic threads are OK for a little light hearted thread drift and tomfoolery.

It is only in proper discussions that it becomes an issue for me personally.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join