It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFC Fight: Why Nate Diaz Beat Champion Connor McGregor

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: AnarchoCapitalist

Dr's don't usually tell people to be vegan or vegetarian for depression. It's for weight loss.

There is zero evidence vegan diets do anything on their own to help depression. It should be obvious that people who are vegetarian and vegan are making concious diet choices. Where as a general meat eater is not. Loosing weight in itself is not an overall health decision.

Your studies again don't disprove anything I said and they definitely don't prove anything you say.

The word associated is the loosest scientific affirmation. It means could be. When the author said these associations should be considered carefully he wasn't saying to become vegetarian he was saying they are only associations and you should be careful about drawing too much from them.

Again this was a questionnaire. Not a good scientific study for completing an actual causation claim. You need to study the blood and genes and have food logs to see what is actually being eaten and what the effects are.

Also JAMA is well known for making rediculous claims. Just look at all the marijuana propaganda they put out.

They published a study about the expectations of glaucoma patients recently using less than 300 patients and claimed people have unreasonable expectations for mmj.

I would like to read these studies in full when I have the time. But already I see some errors your making with your claims. The second study does not support your diet info so far. I never claimed eating red meat all the time for most people wasn't a problem.

Itsball about the genes man. That is the code for your body processes. In regards to digestion and diet it's a good idea to test what works for you not listen to the latest medical fads that change every few years. You have to apply common sense and moderation. There is nothing moderate about being a vegan and telling people they should flat out be vegan is extremely dangerous.

Like my Shepard in Dagestan example. One where would he get all the vegis he needs. Two how often would he have to eat climbing mountains all day.

It may be fine if you are a computer programmer or wealthy enough to shop health food and but supplements but it's not OK for everyone. Things beyound heart attacks will kill you. Like falling off a cliff when your dizzy from lack of nourishment.

edit on 10-3-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Just for everyone else's information, there's actually a large body of evidence linking diet to depression. If you are on anti-depressants, it's worth taking a look at the evidence.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

There isn't any evidence a vegan diet prevents depression.

There is a good deal of evidence about food and depression.

Here is an article about depression from the most unnatural diet in history veganism.

www.psychologytoday.com...
edit on 10-3-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Congratz, you found a crazy lady who cites the Weston Price Foundation and lies to her readers about the results of the studies she cites.

Here's what the study she talks about actually found:

"There was no evidence for a causal role of vegetarian diet in the etiology of mental disorders."

The only studies to show an association between vegetarian diets and depression are cross-sectional studies. I already explained why such studies are incapable of determining cause and effect.

Go find me a prospective or dietary change trial that shows a linkage. Here's a tip, you won't be able to find one.

edit on 3/11/2016 by AnarchoCapitalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I guess you never read the article. But hey say what you want. She actually explains everything you said saying vegetarians are more likely to have mental illness because the mental illnesses make people neurotic which in turn makes them have anxiety about eating and have eating disorders etc depresion etc.

The point of the article is to use a moderate approach. Eat mostly plants. If that works and your willing to spend a large portion of your time making sure you get enough nutrients and calories then fine.

There are no studies done on diet conscious moderate omivores and vegetarians. The studies that would prove causation of any of the bs you are spouting are with animals. They are not convincing and damning to your cause. There have been no large scale blood, DNA, foodlog, time length expirements with human beings. Only animals. It's much harder to monitor people.

I have read hundreds apon hundreds of nutritional studies as a former competitive athlete. I also met hundreds of athletes from dozens of countries using just as many diets and nutritionalists helping them. The vegan diet is UN natural but in sports because you are already paying so much attention to your input/output it's much easier to have this strict diet and manage any deficiencies you are already looking for. Putting 12,000 calories in your body as a vegan and accounting for mineral loss through excessive perspiration is not easy as a vegan. It takes serious discipline .

What you did in an arguement is called a genetic fallacy you can also throw in an adhominem attack on the author who is a respected professional. Unlike a guy who has to post on YouTube.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I remember hearing years ago (20 years ago) of marathon runners eating a vegan diet for improved endurance as there is far less lactic acid build up in the muscles. I am surprised 20 years on that so many endurance athletes have high meat diets.
Its the falsely taught belief that not eating meat will somehow diminish your physical abilities, which prevents people from accepting the evidence that vegan athletes can excel over meat eaters when it comes to endurance sports.
However when it comes to strength based sports I am not sure whether a vegan diet would be better???
I think the strongest men in the world are meat eaters.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Update:

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join