It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFC Fight: Why Nate Diaz Beat Champion Connor McGregor

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

Science is science. It's hard to argue with the data.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnarchoCapitalist

There is no data that says that if a vegan person, and a meat eating person, train the exact way and have the same endurance, the vegan will win because of "arterial dilation"

Simply put, its your training regimen , your ability to take the blows and maintain your endurance and focus

This win has nothing to do with being Vegan

Your supposition is like me saying that because your vegan, and not taking in the same proteins that omnivores eat, your brain isnt functioning in a way that lets you think logically........and hence made this post.......

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

A true statement, problem is you have presented no science. Sure you have used the words we would see in said science, but you have presented the experiments with results able to be reproduced.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
This is simple really.

Diaz beats almost anyone close to his weight on a short notice street fight. He has one of the best chins in the UFC and way more weapons and experience than most of the UFC. His endurance and ability to get better, faster and stronger as the fight goes on is unmatched almost as well.

The fight was more about the money and putting on a show. Being kinda for nothing major the mentality to win this fight was lower as well as preparation for the fight was minimal. Give these two fighters at least a month or two and this is a 4th or 5th round brawl as long as conor can stay off the ground.

The weight effected Conor and was his demise as he explained it perfectly post fight on what went wrong. He kind of left out the fact that he dropped his hands and tried to show boat and show he can take the punches thrown but he could not. This fight will teach him a wonderful lesson and probably another 7-10 fight win streak. No one in 145 or probably only a few in 155 can stand with Diaz.

I had Diaz by choke in the third round. He surprised me in the second due to little to no training camp.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: AnarchoCapitalist

LOL OMG I"m literally ROFLMAO...

Macgregor, one, didn't get his butt kicked (on the contrary, he was beating Nate's ass), he lost. Two, he lost for one simple reason. He got too cocky and stuck his chin out a little too far, got rocked and couldn't recover before giving up his back...

Vegan...lol

Jaden

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

McGregor said he lost because he, in his words, was "inefficient." So what does that translate into? That means he spent too much energy too quickly, right? So if his fighting style didn't change, what caused him to get winded so fast?

Do you think he stopped training or didn't train as hard? - I don't.

Do you think he fought in a manner that was inconsistent with his normal style of fighting, causing him to expend far more energy more rapidly than he normally would have? - I don't.

So what's left?

And actually, there is data on vegan vs. meat eating arterial function. To quote one study, "The consumption of high levels of saturated fat over the course of several weeks may lead to exaggerated cardiovascular reactivity. The consumption of a single high-fat meal has been associated with a transient impairment of vascular function. "

jn.nutrition.org...

www.researchgate.net... nalysis

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

edit on 3/7/2016 by AnarchoCapitalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I don't think it has a lot to do with mcgregor going up so much weight quickly. Diaz had less time to prepare than he did.

McGregors main aspect of his fight is boxing. I know him from the amateurs in ireland and he was decent but nothing more. My best friend beat him twice, but then again he is very good.

Diaz had a much longer reach and just naturally bigger. McGregor excels against the smaller man. He is a bit like a bully. Buy we he comes up the weight he is found out.

Dos anjos would have destroyed his career had he fought.

I think he has now lost his fear factor and fighters will know how to fight him. Take away his boxing.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: InMyShell

I'm not sure about that. Conor's got a decent ground game. He said he was out of energy. Take his lack of energy coupled with Diaz smashing his face a few times and it was game over before they even went to the mat.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I'm open-minded to different diets and how a training strategy won't necessarily reap the same rewards across the board. A vegan diet might be the way for some although I think the evidence points to a lean meat diet being the most effective for most fighters. Before we get tempted into an 'evidence contest,' it's a nightmare sourcing neutral peer-reviewed research in this field.

I was laid off from running with an ITB strain from over training. Took out the energy in the gym and boxing and began to build different muscles. When the ITB injury was over and I was running again, the added weight took minutes off the timings. I wasn't unfit, the cardio hadn't kept up with the weight gains and it demoralised me having to return to training and be less than second best.

So yeah, we've got different experiences, but both of us know what it's like to have cardio or weight out of balance.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
What a fight. A few things.

If you are a health vegetarian, raw foods or vegan athlete you generally speaking will have more discipline in general with your diet which is a large cause of its health benefits. You say no to all types of food all the time which helps keep on your diet. If you can do this as an omivore its also beneficial. Most pro athletes eat pretty restrictive diets and lean meats.

I was a competing Judoka and wrestler for more than a decade having to do weigh ins of 12 lb cuts. I ate vegetarian to stay deciplined as far as when eating out. Also no refined sugar. Only fruit.

When cutting weight it definitely helps to be eating fiber and raw foods instead of meat. For obvious reasons and most weight cutting athletes do stay away from red meats a couple weeks out if they are doing huge cuts.

Connor lost that fight because of himself and his coaching. They didn't prepare for the very dangerous veteran fighter and paid the price. They though connor was good enough to just walk through Nate which was a huge mistake. He never put Nate in any danger so the guy who said he destroyed duaz in the first round is delusional. He cut Diaz. He hit him hard but he was being realed into a gameplan. He got cocky thought he was more than he is and paid the price.
edit on 7-3-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
This is moronic. So Diaz didn't beat him because he's a cardio machine that does triathlons for fun which enables him to continually throw punches for 25 minutes, or because he's a BJJ black belt under Caesar Gracie, or because he spars with some of the best boxers in the world, or because he's a highly experienced martial artist that has been competing for 10 years, or because he was fighting in a weight class where he's comfortable... or even that he did a better job on the night against an opponent that was tragically under prepared for the nightmare he'd walked himself into, that panicked and went to the ground which is literally the last place you want to be if you're fighting one of the Diaz brothers.

Nope, it's because he doesn't eat meat.

Fantastic logic. Thanks for that.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Absolute nonsense. McGregor lost because he was carrying to much weight without the time to develop his cardio.He won the first round,got cocky and dropped his guard then got rocked. Nate's diet had nothing to do with it and he isn't vegan, he eats fish. You vegans love to shoehorn facts to push your delusional ideology.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   

I feel hungry now. Time for a fat steak!

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: mekhanics

I feel hungry now. Time for a fat steak!

I've just had a nice sirloin.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015
This is moronic. So Diaz didn't beat him because he's a cardio machine that does triathlons for fun which enables him to continually throw punches for 25 minutes, or because he's a BJJ black belt under Caesar Gracie, or because he spars with some of the best boxers in the world, or because he's a highly experienced martial artist that has been competing for 10 years, or because he was fighting in a weight class where he's comfortable... or even that he did a better job on the night against an opponent that was tragically under prepared for the nightmare he'd walked himself into, that panicked and went to the ground which is literally the last place you want to be if you're fighting one of the Diaz brothers.

Nope, it's because he doesn't eat meat.

Fantastic logic. Thanks for that.

Hey, I'm just relaying what McGregor said himself. He ran out of gas.

While those things are obviously important, McGregor is just as equally trained. So you have two competent fighters, with the biggest difference being their diet. McGregor didn't seem to think any of those things you mentioned mattered much. Go listen to his after fight debriefs.

I think McGregor is being totally honest and his self-assessment is spot on. He just looked wore out by round 2.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   

McGregor said he lost because he, in his words, was "inefficient." So what does that translate into? That means he spent too much energy too quickly, right? So if his fighting style didn't change, what caused him to get winded so fast?

Do you think he stopped training or didn't train as hard? - I don't.

Do you think he fought in a manner that was inconsistent with his normal style of fighting, causing him to expend far more energy more rapidly than he normally would have? - I don't.

So what's left?

And actually, there is data on vegan vs. meat eating arterial function. To quote one study, "The consumption of high levels of saturated fat over the course of several weeks may lead to exaggerated cardiovascular reactivity. The consumption of a single high-fat meal has been associated with a transient impairment of vascular function. "

jn.nutrition.org...

www.researchgate.net... nalysis

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

The two greatest triathletes ever both ate low carb diets and hold many records.
Look up the name Paula Newby Fraiser and Mark Allen.
I eat a ketogenic diet,have perfect cholesterol,perfect blood pressure,constant energy and I'm the fittest I've ever been.I also recently set a personal record of cycling 30 miles in 67 minutes.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: LostThePlot

Nate doesn't fight at 170 either. He had a few fights in the past at 170. This was a fight between two lightweights who didn't cut weight. Conor choses to be cocky and fight at 170. It was his mind that lost the fght. He win the first round. But that rarely is a sure sign of anything. He and his coach just strait up got caught being arrogant in preparation. I am not sure he could ever beat Diaz and now he has been further exposed as having a bad guard game he probably won't do well in lightweight division either. Give him pettis and see where his striking is at that weight. But he just gets mauked by the top 5 who all have good ground and standup. Khabib being so explosive and so good with takedowns would be a nightmare for connor.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: LostThePlot
The two greatest triathletes ever both ate low carb diets and hold many records.
Look up the name Paula Newby Fraiser and Mark Allen.
I eat a ketogenic diet,have perfect cholesterol,perfect blood pressure,constant energy and I'm the fittest I've ever been.I also recently set a personal record of cycling 30 miles in 67 minutes.

While it's totally possible to have excellent cardio health while eating a diet of steak and Ding Dongs, washed down with a gallon of Jack Daniels every night, along with chain smoking cigarettes, the odds are against it.

Study after study has shown low carb diets put people at a high risk for cardio vascular disease. Most people who chain smoke their whole life never go on to develop lung cancer, but that doesn't mean smoking doesn't cause cancer.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   

So you have two competent fighters, with the biggest difference being their diet. McGregor didn't seem to think any of those things you mentioned mattered much. Go listen to his after fight debriefs.

I think McGregor is being totally honest and his self-assessment is spot on. He just looked wore out by round 2.

I think you're wrong. The biggest difference is one guy lost a bunch of weight and the other had to gain a bunch for the fight.

When your body gets used to throwing punches and shuffling around at it's current weight what do you think happens when you add another 25 pounds onto it?
You'll slow a bit and tire quicker.
Opposite, if you drop a bunch of weight you'll quicken a bit and your stamina will seem increased cause you're used to moving more weight.

It's similar to the effect you feel when you wear a cast for weeks then get it taken off. Your arm feels way lighter all of a sudden.
Or ankle/wrist weights.

This whole argument with no studies makes me feel like I'm reading a flat earth thread.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ShadowLink

No, you think McGregor is wrong. I'm just relaying what he's saying.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join