It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Utah gay wedding expo connects couples, friendly businesses

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Utah gay wedding expo connects couples, friendly businesses

Jason Langlois and Will Bladh are in the early stages of making plans for their summer 2017 wedding, and they don't want their excitement pierced by the pain of being rejected by a venue, florist and photographer who have a legal right in Utah to refuse to serve a gay couple.

That's why they joined several hundred people Sunday at a gay and lesbian wedding expo in Salt Lake City aimed at connecting couples with businesses who want to make it known they're open to doing same-sex weddings.

"We don't have to worry about, 'Will they or won't they,'" said Langlois. "It's a group of businesses that are LGBT friendly."

This^^^ is how it's done in a free market economy in a free country... or at least how it should be done. Bravo!!!

There is no virtue in forcing anyone to serve others in any way or for any reason. None. Zilch. Nada. Zero. No good can come of it. Even those who seemingly benefit from forced servitude are selling themselves short and receiving -- at best -- mediocre service.

But this benefits and rewards all involved -- the merchants who are happy to provide their services, and will give their absolute best to the effort, as well as the fortunate receipients who receive the best service for their hard-earned dollars. Win-win!

And those who choose not to? So be it. As long as the government is not using color of law to prohibit people from offering their services to others (and/or prohibit gay unions altogether) in the private market, it's far better to reward "good behavior" -- which incentivizes others to do the same -- than to punish "bad behavior" -- which only creates more resentment and hatred and paves the path for ever more government intrusion into our private lives and the systemic violation of our inalienable natural rights.

In time, I expect to see businesses adopt a symbol or phrase to let the public know they are "gay friendly," and the shopping public can easily choose to spend their dollars accordingly. And not just the gay shopping community. Gay people have friends and loved ones too who do not want to patronize (and reward) businesses that discriminate... if you don't want to bake a cake for their loved one's gay wedding, they may decide they don't want you to bake a cake for their mother's birthday either.

The free market works -- when we let it.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

A great idea i hope they have big success with this.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   

This is what a Libertarian world looks like.

Bravo!

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
In time, I expect to see businesses adopt a symbol or phrase to let the public know they are "gay friendly,"...

You see that now occasionally if they are displaying a rainbow flag or window decal.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I'm sure some people will still have a problem with it.
After all... It's not "traditional", so say the snowflakes.

I agree though, nobody should be forced into business ventures they wish not to take part in.

And yet at the same time, discrimination should be (and is in most places) illegal.

Quite a conundrum.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

I wish more businesses would find more ways to discriminate regarding who they're willing to profit from. If it hit the right tipping point, I would start my own businesses, open to all. When it comes to income, everyone's money is green (not that I would care to discriminate anyhow, but dollars are dollars.)

This is a great idea.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Really, so no good came out of civil rights legislation getting rid of Jim Crow laws in the South?

You have to force people to stop discriminating at first. Then society will usually follow along after some adjustment time, so that the forcing isn't necessary any more (for the most part). It's what history has shown us.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23
I wish more businesses would find more ways to discriminate regarding who they're willing to profit from. If it hit the right tipping point, I would start my own businesses, open to all. When it comes to income, everyone's money is green (not that I would care to discriminate anyhow, but dollars are dollars.)

When I had my businesses I did not care what color your skin was, your religion, your sexual proclivity or any other external factor. All I cared about was, could you pay the bill. If the answer was 'yes' then everything else was a non-factor.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane

A great idea i hope they have big success with this.

Me too!

It's a great way for small businesses to promote their services, as well as to fill a niche market that needs filling. Everyone wins!

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

This is what a Libertarian world looks like.

Yes indeed!

I hate the way we have to label things and put everything in this or that box these days though... maybe one day we can just recognize and accept it as the "American Way"...

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

On the contrary, the civil rights legislations were great.
Fantastic even.

Here's the flip side in today's world...

No one should have to partake in business ventures they'd not wish to.

If they openly discriminate, they've not very smart.

If they choose themselves not to divulge why they do not wish to take part, only thing left is to bring in the thought police to determine what happened.

I reminded of a lovely member who was sued by a gay guy, and having seen all the evidence available it was clear to me that the lawsuit was frivolous dross.

Thought police decided differently.

That's a slippery slope in action.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You see that now occasionally if they are displaying a rainbow flag or window decal.

Good to know -- thank you!

I haven't noticed that yet, but I'll definitely start paying more attention...

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I wonder how many Right wing Christian groups will show up to protest the "sodomites" "homos" and downfall of American culture? Like the Westburo Baptist Church folks.

I'm all for anyone protesting anything they want. Just don't be surprised when you get your ass kicked.
edit on 7-3-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
I'm sure some people will still have a problem with it.
After all... It's not "traditional", so say the snowflakes.

I think it was PT Barnum who said, "You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time." There will always be those who have a problem with anything and everything... let them go their own way and leave the rest of us alone!

I agree though, nobody should be forced into business ventures they wish not to take part in.

And yet at the same time, discrimination should be (and is in most places) illegal.

I have to disagree. Discrimination is a necessary and vital component of our natural defenses, the right to say "no" cannot be violated, no matter how virtuous it might seem. In the end, it is far better to promote and reward the good, which encourages and incentivizes others to do the same. No need for the force of law.

Quite a conundrum.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
Really, so no good came out of civil rights legislation getting rid of Jim Crow laws in the South?

You have to force people to stop discriminating at first. Then society will usually follow along after some adjustment time, so that the forcing isn't necessary any more (for the most part). It's what history has shown us.

If you really study the civil rights movement, you will see that free market principles actually started having an affect in tandem.

Many business owners started to see they were leaving money on the table by discriminating against blacks. This is why you started seeing integration in sports long before some hillbilly diner.

Greed is good and often is a motivator in treating people equally. After all, we all spend money the same way. With that said, I have a problem forcing businesses to participate in things they don't want to. That business should be punished by the market, not government.

I'm black. I would not bake a cake for a klan rally.

Businesses that don't cater to gays, do so at their own peril. I don't have to necessarily agree with the lifestyle, but at the same time, if they want to patronize my business, I would not turn them away. Instead of suing a business because that business has made it clear, they don't want to cater a gay wedding, they should find another business who wants the money and opportunity.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23

I wish more businesses would find more ways to discriminate regarding who they're willing to profit from.

I so agree! Too often we look at it from the reverse, but it can be played both ways -- and I think should be. I want to see businesses be able to say, "Well, if you don't like me serving the gay community (or fill in the blank), then you can take your business elsewhere -- I don't want it!"

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Discrimination is a necessary and vital component of our natural defenses

I disagree.
It's an Amygdala Hijack.

Nothing but an irrational fear based response.

Discrimination Laws are absolutely necessary.

One day you may find out why. Hopefully you don't suffer from such an affront.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Rainbow flags in businesses windows have been going on for years here in the UK, especially bars, clubs, etc.
In fact it's become so tolerant in my area that the two gay nightclubs we had have closed because there is no need to hide away anymore, nobody really has any issues...or if they do they are forced to keep their bigoted opinions to themselves.
Definite progress I've witnessed in my lifetime.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Much good came out of ending government forced discrimination under color of law!!! There is a very big difference between people choosing to discriminate and people being forced to discriminate.

No, no force is necessary. Neither I nor my friends and family nor anyone else needs a law to not discriminate. Plenty of us were never racist to begin with, and therefore never needed anyone to force us to do otherwise. Let the haters hate... and let the lovers reap their just rewards.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I'm black. I would not bake a cake for a klan rally.

I don't think that falls under D.L's.

Nobody is born as a clan member, it is, as some like to call Gayness, an absolute lifestyle choice.
Not protected.

I salute your decision not to cater to such Neanderthals too.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join