It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help and advice for setting up a Youtube channel, any pro's out there?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I have been thinking for some time now about setting up a Youtube channel and am looking for advice on the following things.

Best free editing software.

Best type of camcorder and should I use 2 and combine the footage?

Revenue, is it even possible to generate real cash and what is the best way to go about this.

To give a bit more insight my idea is this, Every day I do stuff, either cooking unusual foods, baking breads and whatnot or making stuff out of wood in my little workshop. I also invent things or make cheap alternatives to otherwise expensive stuff and come up with quite a few life hacks.

I figured that as I am doing these things anyway I might as well make a vid to go online and over the years would end up with a whole load of vids that when added up might generate a little cash. I have also seen that a lot of youtubers get sent products to review and then keep and I like the idea of free stuff.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific
Sorry, I have no advice as I have no experience either.

However I just wanted to say that if you do get it up and running please PM me a link as I would be interested in seeing your ideas.

Thanks and good luck nonspecific,
Steve

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Just dive in make an account and start making videos. Learn as you go you will figure it all out in a week.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: ilikebooze
Just dive in make an account and start making videos. Learn as you go you will figure it all out in a week.

I was going to but I would like to hit the ground running as it where. I don't want a load of crappy badly done vids that I later regret, I see this with a lot of youtube channels where they appologise for earlier vid quality ect.

I want it to be a nice professional project that will stand the test of time.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Lightworks, DaVinci Resolve is probably the best free editing software but it's definitely not for beginners unless you're willing to spend a lot of time on it due to the huge learning curve.

As for camcorders the Sony PJ530 is decent, not cheap but not expensive either. Unless you're after a 4k camcorder ?

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I think before monetizing you need to become a youtube partner, for that your channel needs subscribers, hundreds of thousands of views, compliment of copyrights laws (ie no background music, no video games...)

Then you can make about 1$/1000 views, depending on the type of ads you run.

Not an easy stuff to do.

I tried something called blender once to do 3d models, it got video editing too

www.blender.org...

I learned never to try again to do fancy stuff

YouTube Partner program
edit on 7-3-2016 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   

To set it up takes a few minutes. Done. The rest...quality and content really is trial and error and you'll learn as you go what works best.

Just create the account and upload one video...and youre off!

*took me about 6 minutes to create and upload 1st video. Good luck!

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Probably depends on the type of vids you are doing. If you are just sitting there with not much movement then you probably don't need a real pricey one. If you plan on doing taping on the go then you should probably invest in a GoPro.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: HawkeyeNation

No action shots, either in a workshop or kitchen, I thought with 2 matching cams then I could have one fixed on a tripod and the other freehand or different angles, I have done a fair bit of editing and used to work in a photographic studio so know quite a bit about lighting ect.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

No action shots, either in a workshop or kitchen, I thought with 2 matching cams then I could have one fixed on a tripod and the other freehand or different angles, I have done a fair bit of editing and used to work in a photographic studio so know quite a bit about lighting ect.

I use my dslr and a Panasonic Hmc45 for my films. Final cut for editing. The 2 camera deal is great, even three if possible. Close, med, long.
Don't ignore sound!!! Good rode shotgun into a zoom H4n or F8 is what I prefer. Use camera sound only for a scratch trac and slate.
edit on 7-3-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

I use my dslr and a Panasonic Hmc45 for my films. Final cut for editing. The 2 camera deal is great, even three if possible. Close, med, long.
Don't ignore sound!!! Good rode shotgun into a zoom H4n or F8 is what I prefer. Use camera sound only for a scratch trac and slate.

Aha! I hoped you might pop along.

Sound is something I am happy with as used to have a little recording studio and have some Mic's and a desk ect. I also have a friend who is a pro musician and he is doing some incidental music for me, as There will be quite a bit of power tool usage I was thinking of cutting the sound and replacing it with some nice guitar work as It annoys me to hear a table saw and assume others would think the same?

As to multiple cams how important is having matching cameras? it's been years since I used any software(last cam was a mini dv tape to give you an idea) Is it easy to match the different cams so it does not look odd?

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Sound is something I am happy with as used to have a little recording studio and have some Mic's and a desk ect. I also have a friend who is a pro musician and he is doing some incidental music for me, as There will be quite a bit of power tool usage I was thinking of cutting the sound and replacing it with some nice guitar work as It annoys me to hear a table saw and assume others would think the same?

As to multiple cams how important is having matching cameras? it's been years since I used any software(last cam was a mini dv tape to give you an idea) Is it easy to match the different cams so it does not look odd?

It can look odd but we color correct in post and you can't even tell. I'm not sure it is necessary for youtube as long as the lighting is consistent and you white balance. I'm anxious to see your work.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

I have no experience with this myself, but have toyed around with the idea in my head. Have you thought of using Twitch to live stream? You could use that while you refine your production quality before releasing videos to Youtube.

blog.twitch.tv...

Then eventually, you could have two income streams, one from Twitch, and one from Youtube.

Good luck!

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Ulyeney

Ustream and livestream are more appropriate for live streaming what he wants to do, Twitch is really for gaming although they have branched out a little in offering options for Artists, Musicians and Poker players in recent years. There's also live stream option from youtube itself as well as google hangouts

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I'm afraid I don't have any video editing expertise to advise you with, just wanted to say your channel sounds really cool and don't let the difficulty in monetizing it stop you making it.

You could consider opening a little online shop to sell some of the stuff you make for a bit of revenue? I'm sure there'd be a market for it, however small..

Throw me a link if you go ahead with it.

edit on 7-3-2016 by spygeek because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: spygeek
I'm afraid I don't have any video editing expertise to advise you with, just wanted to say your channel sounds really cool and don't let the difficulty in monetizing it stop you making it.

You could consider opening a little online shop to sell some of the stuff you make for a bit of revenue? I'm sure there'd be a market for it, however small..

Throw me a link if you go ahead with it.

Cheers, I already have an outlet for my stuff, it was more the idea that I could monetise the things I do anyway and also maybe show people that they can do things to save them money.

I am getting nowhere with my book entitled "how to live better and have more cool stuff but work less and have more free time" so thought that youtube might be the way forwards.

I also like the thought that it is a residual income in that nothing earns much in itself but a lot of vids over time would add up and once done would be good for a long time. Almost like a pension?

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

It can look odd but we color correct in post and you can't even tell. I'm not sure it is necessary for youtube as long as the lighting is consistent and you white balance. I'm anxious to see your work.

Thanks but it will be quite a niche market!

Not sure how relavent turning a crappy table saw into a good one would be to you? Or how to make an oscillating sander for less than a fiver would be to you?

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   

I have been thinking for some time now about setting up a Youtube channel and am looking for advice on the following things.

Revenue, is it even possible to generate real cash and what is the best way to go about this.

To give a bit more insight my idea is this, Every day I do stuff, either cooking unusual foods, baking breads and whatnot or making stuff out of wood in my little workshop. I also invent things or make cheap alternatives to otherwise expensive stuff and come up with quite a few life hacks.

I figured that as I am doing these things anyway I might as well make a vid to go online and over the years would end up with a whole load of vids that when added up might generate a little cash. I have also seen that a lot of youtubers get sent products to review and then keep and I like the idea of free stuff.

My son has a couple of game review channels but they generate zero revenue (not enough views) and the content is rather patchy and amateur.

I've also seen other channels with multiple studios, script writers, incredible hardware and vast $$.

But I think that content is king. It doesn't really matter how slick the production is, if you have something that people want, and you advertise its presence properly, you will get views.

Consider all those whose channel just "unboxes" stuff. You don't need to waste money on software and hardware if a webcam and something like Windows Movie Maker does the job.

Just my two cents, I have no real experience, just an opinion.

PS: PM me when you get your channel up. I'd probably like to subscribe.

edit on 7/3/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: ilikebooze

I was going to but I would like to hit the ground running as it where. I don't want a load of crappy badly done vids that I later regret, I see this with a lot of youtube channels where they appologise for earlier vid quality ect.

I want it to be a nice professional project that will stand the test of time.

You don't need to apologize from working your way up. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Also, it is best to 'do what you do', not waste time beside the point of your channel.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

My son has a couple of game review channels but they generate zero revenue (not enough views) and the content is rather patchy and amateur.

I've also seen other channels with multiple studios, script writers, incredible hardware and vast $$.

But I think that content is king. It doesn't really matter how slick the production is, if you have something that people want, and you advertise its presence properly, you will get views.

Consider all those whose channel just "unboxes" stuff. You don't need to waste money on software and hardware if a webcam and something like Windows Movie Maker does the job.

Just my two cents, I have no real experience, just an opinion.

PS: PM me when you get your channel up. I'd probably like to subscribe.

it is valued and thank you.

As I said I have no delusions of fame and fortune it was just an idea and the cash is a bonus if any.

I was watching a guy give a review of a pretty cheapish power tool as an honest review and ended up watching some more of his stuff, a few vids later and he was talking about how he had been sent a £250 power tool by a company to review and he only had about 30,000 views per vid and had been going about 2 years. It got me thinking that if you find the right niche and do it well then sponsorship and freebies would be worth far more than crappy ads that annoy folks and give you 5 pence per thousand.

I also really like the idea of showing people how to do things, I will not be around forever but I am a pretty clever and ingenious chap and am thinking about preserving some of my genius for future generations

I don't like the thought of people spending money if they do not have to as most do not have enough, I have a 10 part epic in mind entitled "how to eat flour in interesting ways" it's cheap but it has so many uses and over time might make a few pence and inspire a few cheapskates.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join