It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Birdie Navigation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Lol, I feed birdies on my balcony. they will have their breakfast , lunch and dinner on my balcony. inbetween their meall times they disappear out of sight, but always home in at their appointed mealtimes. so how do these birdies navigate? as i have been a pilot in the past, to navigate in the air you need a compass. right or left of this or that does not work. so these birdies ought to have a built in biological flux gate compasses in their brain and it is my belief that if you put atmosphere on the moon and some birdies, they will not be able to navigate themselves on the moon.
what do you all say.
edit on 6-3-2016 by Nochzwei because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
yep, I feed the wild birds like doves and crows come in all year....they disappear and make rounds elsewhere during their absence....

but I need help figuring out where the roadrunners go in winter.....they seem to go off-planet, I swear....early spring now.....they're suddenly sneaking back....

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Nochzwei

I say:

I wish people who can't tell the difference between science and scrambled eggs would stop making threads in the Science & Technology Forum.

That's what I say.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

I say:

I wish people who can't tell the difference between science and scrambled eggs would stop making threads in the Science & Technology Forum.

That's what I say.
Lol nice one.
wt do you know of navigation anyway

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

You know its almost time for a midnight snack in my parts and fortunately I have some cheddar cheese to mix with my scrabbled eggs.

Magnetoreception is a sense which allows an organism to detect a magnetic field to perceive direction, altitude or location. This sensory modality is used by a range of animals for orientation and navigation,[1] and as a method for animals to develop regional maps. For the purpose of navigation, Magnetoreception deals with the detection of the Earth's magnetic field.

Magnetoreception is present in bacteria, arthropods, mollusks and members of all major taxonomic groups of vertebrates.[1] Magnetoreception in humans is controversial.

Source

Further reading...

www.ks.uiuc.edu...

edit on 6-3-2016 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Wow, thanks for the info n
a reply to: Kashai

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   

I would recommend one review the "TCB Publications" in the second link offered in my last response.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 11:27 PM
link   
It's a really complex, amazing system that takes many things into account - like sky polarization...

Behold!

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

I reckon they just use local landmarks to navigate between their nests and Nochzwei’s feeder.

top topics

join