It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BUFFs could replace Bones in ISIS fight

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   
With the last of the B-1s leaving the Middle East in January a gap has been left in the fight that is being filled by more fighter and TacAir missions. Come April, B-52s may be deployed to finally replace the B-1s, until the first of them returns this summer. B-1s dropped 3,800 munitions on 3,700 targets during their time in theater, but all the aircraft required significant upgrades that could only be done at the depot level. This would be the first deployment for the B-52 in the anti ISIS mission.

According to the Air Force the fleet required $3B in upgrades, covering everything from an updated cockpit, to new brakes. In the FY14 year the fleet had a mission capable rate of less than 50%, due to aircraft going through the depot at record levels. There were as many as 12 aircraft at a time there, undergoing various upgrades.

The B-52 Stratofortress could begin dropping bombs on the Islamic State group come April.

The bombers would be headed to the Central Command area of operations to replace the B-1 Lancers, the last of them returning in January, officials were quoted saying at an Air Force Association Conference last week. The B-1s should return this summer after they receive additional upgrades.

Neither the number of B-52s nor number of airmen, under Air Force Global Strike Command, have been disclosed yet for the potential operation.

The aircraft, which had been used to drop unguided bombs in previous wars, including Afghanistan, can now be used to provide backup with the accuracy of precision-guided munitions. If scheduled, it would be the first deployment for the bombers to fight Islamic State targets, also known as ISIS or ISIL.

www.defensenews.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Good for the BUFF guys. Lord knows they've been frustrated just sitting idly by instead of dropping some hate for quite a few years.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   
You know...
That is just so right. Tool for the job.
A hammer instead of a nail gun.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I am thinking of the B52s being used as missile trucks while the F22 and F35 ID the targets.

Is that the likely scenario because otherwise, carpet bombing is likely to upset the 'partnership'.

Assad could loose entire divisions in one hit. Russia would get upset if that happened and frankly, those B52s would simply be a target rich airspace for the Russian ground to air batteries.

P

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I love those planes. Don't care how ugly they are, they're magnificent to watch and can deliver enough payload to level a small country

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

They'll use PGMs. They recently were upgraded to carry them in the internal bays, as well as on the wings.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
You know...
That is just so right. Tool for the job.
A hammer instead of a nail gun.

Yeah this is really gonna guarantee us some signifigant collateral damage allright....so much for next generations jihad...
maybe some good ole fuel air bombs too....gotta clear us some LZs....
edit on 5-3-2016 by bandersnatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: bandersnatch
No.
B-52s can deploy precision munitions quite effectively.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage
Im sure they can Phage....

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: bandersnatch

Yes, because the B-52 isn't capable of using precision guided weapons like every other US aircraft. They can only use carpet bombing and FAEs.

Tinker AFB Airmen will update ground maintenance and mission planning software in support of a new Air Force contract that will increase the B-52 Stratofortress's "smart-weapons" capacity by 50 percent.

The $24.6 million agreement stipulates that Boeing will develop a modification to existing weapon launchers so the aircraft can carry smart weapons in the bomb bay, which will enable aircrews to use the B-52's entire weapons capacity.

www.af.mil...

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: EequalsMC2
B52 ugly? I find them beautiful.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384

Everyone finds them beautiful in an ugly way, hence, BUFF.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
I hadn't realized the meaning of the acronyms. I suppose in an ugly way. I mean, really? Ugly? What I don't understand is that some news outlets have to mention their nuclear capable. What's the point of mentioning that besides fear mongering?

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

The same reason they discuss Russian planes trolling the ADIZ. Slow news day, stupid reporters, fear mongering.

As for the looks, compared to the B-1 or B-2, the BUFF really is an ugly beast, but it's like a Timex. It never stops working. I can count the number of times one broke and had to delay a mission on one hand.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Cause it sure looks like one Big Ugly Fat F*ck

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I visited the museum at Barksdale last year. While I was there, I watched two 52s making touch & goes. It was a helluva sight for these old sore eyes!

Isn't the BUFF's forte flying really high and ,,,,,,,,,,,,surprise!!!!

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Has anyone considered the psychological impact of the BUF in the war zone? One three plane "arch light" strike and ISIS may consider their long term options for heavenly arrivals.

The B-52 was fear inspiring in Vietnam. It was like a 4.0 earthquake at 3 miles from the strike...and that was with dumb bombs.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

If we were serious about that, we'd send 10 C-17's loaded with MOABs and do a little pattern bombing.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

scary

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
5 B-52H deployed to the uk in 81 to the local base 3 miles away from home dear old mother was convinced one was going to crash into the house one time when we were watching them fly over......i was used to victors and vulcans and f111's .....that was something special and i will never forget it for the rest of my days

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join