It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AZ Repulicans freak out when atheist gets to speak opening prayer

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
First off: who exactly called it a prayer?

Did the atheist call it a prayer?

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: rnaa

Yeah, but I don't think Mendez was reading a poem

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   
INVOCATION: the act of mentioning or referring to someone or something in support of your ideas : the act of invoking something.

God not required.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Thank you, God.

...which religion did I just endorse?

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Pisses me off when an atheist gives an invocation.

Then a "god believer", minister has to jump in with his God.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Keplero

Define poem.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: rnaa
a reply to: Keplero

Define poem.

You win

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu
Thank you, God.

...which religion did I just endorse?

Why would it matter which religion to an atheist?

God - - no God.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Who would an Atheist pray to? An Atheist leading an invocation perhaps, but prayer? I think it was intended to be a smack in the face to people who believe in God and as such people have a right to be offended. Heck, even if it wasn't intended to be an outright mockery of Theists people have a right to be offended. It's America, damnit.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 03:08 AM
link   
youd think they would be happy and hopeful for a lost sheep to finally go in the "right direction" but theyre not happy unless he believes the way they believe.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Maybe those Republicans should move to Saudi Arabia?
since they punish atheists heavily there.
edit on 5-3-2016 by TaleDawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 04:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Who would an Atheist pray to? An Atheist leading an invocation perhaps, but prayer? I think it was intended to be a smack in the face to people who believe in God and as such people have a right to be offended. Heck, even if it wasn't intended to be an outright mockery of Theists people have a right to be offended. It's America, damnit.

Prayer for an atheist is more about self resolve. In this case, the person was addressing his coworkers and saying that many people have diverse beliefs, rather than rely on them to give us the strength to do what we're here to do, lets rely on ourselves to do it.

I honestly don't see where the offense is in that.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: shinethelight

Why would an atheist want to say a prayer anyway?

Basically because 'atheist's' don't believe no one should.

They act like two year olds and stick their fingers in their ears because they're screrred the religion might rub off.

(post by Looselungjones removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Did the atheist call it a prayer?

Or did someone else?

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Basically because 'atheist's' don't believe no one should.

Separation of church and state.

What you do on your own. That's your business.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Prayer for an atheist is more about self resolve. In this case, the person was addressing his coworkers and saying that many people have diverse beliefs, rather than rely on them to give us the strength to do what we're here to do, lets rely on ourselves to do it.

I honestly don't see where the offense is in that.

I find it offensive when a man believes HE is greater than God. I don't want to be around or involve myself with that kind of egotistical, arrogance.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

That 'separation' works like this as per the first amendment.

Amendment I Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances

www.law.cornell.edu...

, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

It that part religious BIGOTS seem to have a problem with aka 'atheist's'

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Annee

That 'separation' works like this as per the first amendment.

Amendment I Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances

www.law.cornell.edu...

, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

It that part religious BIGOTS seem to have a problem with aka 'atheist's'

Separation of church and state.

Legal cases won.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I find it offensive when a man believes HE is greater than God. I don't want to be around or involve myself with that kind of egotistical, arrogance.

We're talking about legislating, I find it arrogant to think it's so important and difficult that it can only be done properly through God's intervention. Especially when, given the state of most legislation if that's from God's influence, that's not saying much for God's capabilities.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join