It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Only Democrats Supported the 2nd Amendment

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   
If only the Democrats supported the 2nd Amendment I think it would be game over for Republicans. Granted the lack of personal responsibility and nanny state would still be annoying to many, but the fact is this one issue would bring a 5-10% swing for the Democrats effectively ending any resistance to Democrat control of our Government.

I am not talking about the BS lip-service 'reasonable restrictions'...I am talking about absolute unequivocal support a la the Republicans. Anything less would be like Republicans trying to give 'reasonable restrictions' to abortion and that wouldn't work for many feminists and special interests on the Liberal side either.

I suppose Republicans could just be 100% pro-choice, but it wouldn't have the same effect as the Democrats going 100% pro-second amendment. The Democrats are essentially 'everyone else' in that they have all the special interests and you would have to change more than one thing to get any of these people to switch their votes.

I actually think that it would make a difference. Are Democrats willing to 'bite the bullet' so to speak and make this change in their stance? If they did I think it would make them the dominate party for the foreseeable future. I know the 2nd Amendment is my #1 issue as it is for many other people I know.

Just some food for thought.

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I know the 2nd Amendment is my #1 issue as it is for many other people I know.

Not education, not the economy, not poverty or crime, but your right to bear firearms.....

This is why the repub voters will have a clown like Drumpf as their candidate, they dont think think of the bigger picture, just whether or not they can shoot all those dangerous bandits and Injuns...

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
The problem is being pro second takes power away from the government. There are two separate ideologies- one side believes that govt control makes things worse, the other side believes that govt control makes things better.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I think gun control is overblown by the media. I think on an individual basis more people support the 2nd amendment than oppose it. I know many democrats who support the 2nd amendment. I think the media and "community organizers" are the ones that make this an issue.

I find it interesting that Dems have used laws and regulations applying to the 2nd to imprison more people which seems to do the most harm to black communities. What is even stranger is they seem to draw a lot of anti gun support through these organizers working in the black community.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I am pro gun ownership but, I also support back ground checks, safety courses and people being held responsible for securing their weapons (since most criminals get guns from legal gun owners). I see that as falling into the well regulated part of the 2nd.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy
The problem is being pro second takes power away from the government. There are two separate ideologies- one side believes that govt control makes things worse, the other side believes that govt control makes things better.

Those that are pro 2nd think that the power should rest with the people.

Those that are anti 2nd, think that power should rest with government.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   

What you want is for Democrats to support your version of the 2nd Amendment and I don;t think my version is 'BS lip service'.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Ooh just imagine if as part of the new policies they gave out free guns to people who fill out the paper work and qualify for the program. The general American public would be lined up out the doors for free guns.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

Actually, I'd have to say after free speech, comes freedom to arm oneself.

Gun education in school would be a good thing...
Plus the economy thrives off of gun sales...
It doesn't do much for poverty but it is a great hinderance to crime.

So it is established in 3 of your 4 examples.

Honestly if I was from the Police States of America I'd be armed to the teeth.
edit on 4-3-2016 by Hazardous1408 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
I am pro gun ownership but, I also support back ground checks, safety courses and people being held responsible for securing their weapons (since most criminals get guns from legal gun owners). I see that as falling into the well regulated part of the 2nd.

That is nonsensical, because it doesn't say anything about guns or gun owners being " well regulated ".

" well regulated " is stated specifically about the militia.

What "well regulated" means could be argued, but " the right of the people to keep and bare arms shall not be infringed " is very specific, and without debate as to its meaning.
edit on 4-3-2016 by Sargeras because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Here is something that will convince you to NEVER TRUST THEM IF THEY DO!

New York mayor Bill de Blasio is trying to put a positive spin on a recent rash of stabbings and slashings across the city. He credits the NYPD taking guns off of the street.

"I'm not a criminologist but I can safely say that guns are being taken off the street in an unprecedented way. Some people, unfortunately, are turning to a different weapon," de Blasio says.

De Blasio credits less guns for more stabbings

I really get a kick out of trying be humorous, but it would be foolish to try and take any credit away from the Mayor of New York City!

edit on 4-3-2016 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   

You may be right, but then something would come about (or rise to the fore) to keep the split close to the 50/50 mark. I find it incredible that, politically, the nation seems to be split really close to 50/50. It seems voters used to be a lot more flexible in terms of which party they would vote for - voting for whom they perceived to be the best candidate for the nation at the time. I'm talking about all the way through Reagan. Since then, it seems a few issues, usually "social issues" have, by design, split the nation more or less to a 50/50 split. Elections are won based on which half is more motivated in that particular election.

It seems there's a whole bunch of "stupid" reasons to keep either party from being what people want. I may be wrong, but I think the majority of Americans don't want the government to infringe on the 2nd Amendment, don't think government should prevent gay marriage, don't want us to spend trillions of dollars dropping freedom and democracy bombs, want a return to protective trade policies (tarriffs), want lower taxes, etc. Personally, outside of a utopian world of my design, my ideal political party would consist of about half Republican policy and half Democratic policy. The halves I don't keep would make for a perfect arch-enemy nation.

Despite what people's driving skills would have me believe, I believe very few Americans are truly stupid enough to agree completely with either party, YET, no party has arisen (or changed to become) the one the people want, which also happens to be the one that would usher in a golden age.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369

Not education, not the economy, not poverty or crime, but your right to bear firearms.....

I wonder how many Democrats make Abortion their number one issue?

I value my freedom and the Constitution more than anything else. Education is already controlled by the Democrats...how is that working for you? Poverty is a personal responsibility issue and crime is resolved for me by my firearm and right to own one.
edit on 2016/3/4 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   

This is why the repub voters will have a clown like Drumpf as their candidate, they dont think think of the bigger picture, just whether or not they can shoot all those dangerous bandits and Injuns...

I know right?

The US economy is in the #ter, education amoung the worst in the western world, a broken health care system.

Yet there magic boom boom sticks are the number one priority

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
If I was a democrat. I'd be clinging on to my guns right now, knowing Donald trump and his band of goon supporters will be riding the waves of right wing populism if trump becomes leader of the country

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

I know right?

The US economy is in the #ter, education amoung the worst in the western world, a broken health care system.

Yet there magic boom boom sticks are the number one priority

It sounds like my point has hit home for you.

So if guns and the 2nd Amendment aren't a big deal for you then why not stop trying to take away gun rights? I guarantee you that this issue of personal liberty IS a big deal to a lot of people.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Who said im trying to take your gun rights?

Where have I or what point did I say ban guns?

O thats right I didn't!

Personally I dont care what happens to your precious boom boom sticks.

Im neither pro or anti gun. I simply dont care!

Hell you could have a house made of guns and sleep on a bed made of guns a d have your arms a d legs replcaced by guns and for all I care care marry a gun.
Honestly I really dont care.

I just think there are far more important freedoms and concerns to fret over.

Unless I live in a gun and eat a gun or use a gun as currency I honestly dont give a #.
edit on 4-3-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-3-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   

I wonder how many Democrats make Abortion their number one issue?

I don't know, however I do know that a recent poll showed that the gap between the rich and everyone else was the #1 concern.

I value my freedom and the Constitution more than anything else.

Would you value the constitution as much if it didnt include the 2nd?

Education is already controlled by the Democrats...how is that working for you?

Best to focus on your guns then, right?

Poverty is a personal responsibility issue

Yeah if everyone in poverty would just get their s*** together then there'd be no poverty!

and crime is resolved for me by my firearm and right to own one.

Yep as long as you're ok and you got yur guns.....right?

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Not education, not the economy, not poverty or crime

Metalli is a libertarian & libertarians really don't give a crap about any of the quoted topics or society as a whole in general.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I think that if government wasn't so nearly up in everyone's regular business in every other aspect of our lives, people wouldn't be so keen to keep them away from the 2nd Amendment and so touchy over any mention of it.

The Nanny State is not "just annoying" it is part of that problem. Look at the very term itself - NANNY State. It implies that the state is actively engaged in your life the same way your babysitter or parents were ... seeing to it that you lived every detail to their satisfaction and when you did something to your own liking, it felt transgressive even if it wasn't precisely.

I think the leftist rash when anything religious is mentioned is the flip side to the 2nd Amendment coin.
edit on 4-3-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join