It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Make a Logical Thread - The Basics

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Disclaimer: I am not the best writer out there, and that's fine, this is just the basics of making a thread.

THREAD TITLE
-------------------------------------------------------------

The thread title should be short and sweet while getting the point across. It should not contain a period on the end. It can use capital letters and special characters at ones own discretion.

Special characters: & * ( ) ! @ # $ % ^ & - = + _ < > : ; "

A good thread title: The Mysterious Case of Area 51

Notice "of" is not capitalized - The Mysterious Case Of Area 51

Do you see how it looks less tidy? While capitalization can be used as user wants, "of" is one word that should not be.

Let's look again with no caps: the mysterious case of area 51

It works, but something about it just seems off. At the very least, always capitalize the first letter of title.

Example: The mysterious case of Area 51 (Area 51 refers to a place, hence capitalize)

A bad thread title: wyh is nby talking about the bunker in the desert.

Reasons: Typos, non-specific (What are we discussing in this thread?), had a period on the end. (Typos matter in title only - in body it can be changed later if need be)

Now, if it is not referencing Area 51, a title that is short and sweet could be...

Example: Bunker in Mohave Desert

Good, we are done with titles. Let's move to content.

CONTENT

FIRST PARAGRAPH

The first paragraph should have the following: What and where OR what led you to the find.

There is a bunker in the Mohave Desert.

or

I was viewing XXX and saw a connection to YYY

Now, you have to LINK proof/Location of information. Either after paragraph, or within - After looks neater

Your next sentence could look like...

In this documentary on randomurl(.com/directlink) they discuss the possibility of XXX being connected to YYY.

BAD FIRST PARAGRAPH

I saw on the tv the other day about a thing about xxx, then they talked about yyy, but I will not link proof.

or

I know something you don't but I won't tell you.

(My opinion - If you are unwilling to link proof, source of information, or share information - DO NOT POST)

In some threads, speculation may be all that is needed, depending. What is not valuable speculation is...

I was told about something that makes me think that I have found something exciting out. I am now scared but won't say why. (No placeholders in this sentence, this should be read as if it is written in a thread)

ADDITIONAL PARAGRAPHS

Should contain:

- Speculation supported by sources. (Should be linked, not required though)

Ex: Do you think Atlantis could be a boat? I read (linkedsource) and thought it may be a boat rather than an island.

- Should be as clear and concise as user can possibly make them

Good Ex: Is it possible that Atlantis was a boat? (There can be typos, write to the best of your abilities)

Bad Ex: Think it's a boat? I mean, when I saw on reddit the information I didn't know what to think.

That's pretty much it.

To recap

Thread title

- Topic easily Identified (Number 1 priority)
- No typos (Number 2 priority)
- Short and sweet (Number 3 priority)
- First word capitalized (Not a priority per say)

Thread Content

- Link sources (Alternatively describe how you came to conclusion)
- What, who, where, when, why, and how
- Speculation that is easy to read (Clear/concise)
- If you post that you have achieved something, or that you know something, BACK IT UP WITH PROOF/LINKS

Felt this may be useful to some.

edit on 4-3-2016 by Anon24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
We should all listen to the preachings of someone who has been a member for less than a week...

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Stupid comment removed.
edit on 4-3-2016 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamnotadoctor

Well, you are entitled to your own opinion. (albeit one based off my membership status as opposed to content)

I am curious though, do you believe I have not used the internet until I became a member? Haha.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Anon24

Well, you are entitled to your own opinion. (albeit one based off my membership status as opposed to content)

I am curious though, do you believe I have not used the internet until I became a member? Haha.

Well, you know what? I don't care.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Anon24

Personally, I like a simpler way that way I don't forget it. But that does not mean I adhere to it all of the time either.

Harry S. Truman the former president of the US put it this way (even if it was intended for giving speeches):

"You tell 'em what your gonna tell 'em."

"You tell 'em."

"You tell 'em what you just told 'em."

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
This thread looks like it's going places. Smug alert.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

If people want to use it's fine, if not doesn't matter, it's my last post.

As I read comments (Here and other threads), I realize that I do not belong here. Nothing against the users, I just don't fit into the community, which says more about myself than others. Thanks for reading though.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Toodles.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
This thread looks like it's going places. Smug alert.

It's the 'BOMB', man...

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
The title doesn't have to be short, though it does need to express the general feel of what you want to discuss. If you check my profile, all my top threads had long complex titles. Title creation is the most important thing most of the time, unless you just happen to get lucky. I personally spend more time thinking up a clever title than I do coming up with the content despite the fact my threads are incredibly content heavy.

Luck is a huge factor, as the 100-200 people you want flagging your thread are dynamic entities with moods, specific interests, attitudes, etc. Each person flags a thread for unique reasons.

Also timing is a factor, if you post it at a specific time of the day when people are busy with a bigger issue or when there are fewer individuals logged in to read it, you will get less traffic. So hitting the right moment in between other big stories and at higher traffic times makes a huge difference. Many potential readers may miss your thread for weeks, months, years, or for all time...

Speculation that is easy to read is relative to the reader and their background education/sensibilities/free time/etc. For example my last handful of threads hardly got any attention because I was expressing something incredibly complex and deeply sophisticated that I didn't explain much background reasoning for, as I just posted end results in a highly cryptic manner (I was piecing together a puzzle - and my posts were better intended as future references).

If you want to widely disseminate the topic across the masses being clear and concise is very important, and the information cannot be too technical or cryptic. Also having some energy behind your words helps a lot, expressing your feelings is great as long as you do it formally and stay within the guidelines of human decency.

Linking sources is excellent and one of the best things you can do. If you are sharing a hypothesis than explanation is sufficient though linking supporting elements does go a long way. Also try to be very careful with your exact wording when making claims, this allows you to create escape routes or avoid being easily shot down. If you make a hard claim, make sure you have all your concepts, facts, etc, worked out thoroughly.

Try to ignore the antagonists if they upset you, I know it's hard though.
Alternatively, you can "use" a pesky antagonist for generating more interest in your thread though by creating activity that can keep your thread alive longer, thus increasing the likelihood of more readers and thus, wider dissemination. I usually try to make a witty comeback and create activity by "using them".

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

Point 2: Beware of grammar nazi's

Dontcha just hate'em

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

How long a member has been here is largely irrelevant. There have been quite a few who jumped right in with whole series of wonderful threads.

I somewhat agree that the OP could have presented the intent of the thread a little better. Maybe something along the lines of :

"Hi, I noticed some members seem to have trouble with thread structure. So if you're interested I put together this handy little guide."

But I don't see how anyone could argue that threads these days have horrible structure and put together terribly so they are mostly jibberish.

But if you let your Jimmies get rustled so easily from this OP , that's your issue.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

originally posted by: VoidHawk

Point 2: Beware of grammar nazi's

Dontcha just hate'em

Blimey! your name's a blast from the past, You crap the bed or something?

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anon24
a reply to: Krazysh0t

If people want to use it's fine, if not doesn't matter, it's my last post.

As I read comments (Here and other threads), I realize that I do not belong here. Nothing against the users, I just don't fit into the community, which says more about myself than others. Thanks for reading though.

Hey!
Dont be so sensitive. Its all part of the learning curve. I remember being upset when I first posted because of what others were saying about my first few threads. Some of them were right! Some are just not worth replying to.
But don't leave!!!

All is good

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I see what you're doing here and it's a great idea. I think the problem is we all have our own styles and abilities. But don't go. If you can structure a thread this well I'm sure you've got some great stuff to share.

Come back!

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

That is a good post on a basic thread. There are a few that could learn from that. S&F

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Agree. There are general suggestions contained in the OP that seem worthy to me. Maybe some of the seasoned members might see it as old hat; I think it's useful.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

How long a member has been here is largely irrelevant. There have been quite a few who jumped right in with whole series of wonderful threads.

I somewhat agree that the OP could have presented the intent of the thread a little better. Maybe something along the lines of :

"Hi, I noticed some members seem to have trouble with thread structure. So if you're interested I put together this handy little guide."

But I don't see how anyone could argue that threads these days have horrible structure and put together terribly so they are mostly jibberish.

But if you let your Jimmies get rustled so easily from this OP , that's your issue.

I disagree.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

that is certainly your right to do so. *shrug*

Maybe embracing a positive and helpful post will foster future gains for all of us. We'll see.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

<<   2 >>

join