It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ad-blockers, subscriptions and money? ATS is worth $2 million and makes $466,920 a year

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: stargatetravels

1) Owners have asked for donations without telling or showing us how and where the money will be spent

He did tell us how it would be spent. On new and better hosting services, which were costly to set up.

2) are now planning a subscription charge for people and paid members forums.

And...where's the issue with this? The free site will still be here, supported by ads, for those who don't want to go the subscription route.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
WTF was blood asked for?

Reaction to a few dollars DONATION is the craziest thing I've seen on ATS for a while.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

I agree, and therefore stand corrected as I used a bit of wrong terminology there.

The rest of my post was essentially in complete agreement with what you are saying. I don't think that level of "transparency" is needed and, I for one, won't (and am not) demand it.

If they aren't making a profit from this site, then they need to do something to make a profit. I wouldn't bother working on a place like this (from their perspective) if I wasn't making it worth my time and effort.

link   

originally posted by: Discotech
a reply to: DAVID64

Yep as much as I thought they were complete BS I miss stuff like The Timewave Zero and web bot threads predicting doom & gloom using complex algorithms.

And crazy posters who were genuinely crazy, like the guy who was a popular poster suddenly one day decided to claim he'd been attacked by aliens at his house and had a fight with them, went to a lot of effort making up fake evidence and was eventually called out on it.

I miss those days

I was in on that thread when the guy was being attacked by aliens, man was that a lot of fun that guy was a hoot. (Or maybe it was the dude who had aliens showing up in his garden in a few hours and needed ATS to believe him, lol). I agree with you, I miss some of those really crazy posters they brought some humor and originality to the site, and every now and then they were believable.

I don't have an answer to increasing the cash flow to ATS - and it's not really our business beyond what SO has generously offered up - but I believe their most important asset is the vast library that has been collected over the years. If there was some way to bring that library with those top threads front and center I believe it could reinvigorate the site and get the quality writers/researchs back here en mass.

And that's not to say quality writers aren't here right now, but the old timers who built the library were the
subject matter experts.
edit on 4-3-2016 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-3-2016 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Kali74
WTF was blood asked for?

Reaction to a few dollars DONATION is the craziest thing I've seen on ATS for a while.

Do you understand how ATS works, its a firm thats making money now asking people to give them money, they use and sell us now they want us to pay to be used and sold
edit on 4-3-2016 by imod02 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: imod02
Do you understand how ATS works, its a firm thats making money now asking people to give them money, they use and sell us now they want us to pay to be used and sold

So do not give them any. Problem solved for you.

But Goddamn it!!! I want to be outraged!!!!!

Thanks Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit on 4-3-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That's just a nasty ass breakfast, man.

....I was hungry, now...not so much.

Thanks Augustus

link   

originally posted by: Klassified

He did tell us how it would be spent. On new and better hosting services, which were costly to set up.

So what was the target, was it met?
Was all the equipment bought and was there any money left over?

And...where's the issue with this? The free site will still be here, supported by ads, for those who don't want to go the subscription route.

Except we've heard about 'special' forums for paid members. So it will divide the site and create a class system.
If you honestly don't see any issues with these proposals or what has been happening then good for you I guess, ignorance is bliss.

edit on 4-3-2016 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Jakal26

Was it the Springer thing? Did that ruin it for you?

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Jason88

If there was some way to bring that library with those top threads front and center I believe it could reinvigorate the site and get the quality writers/researchs back here en mass.

That's actually a really good idea.
I like it.

Not sure how it would work, but I think bringing attention to some of the better gems here would definitely bring others that don't know of this place around.
This should be brought to the attention of the owners.....maybe they've already thought about this, but if not, it is a good idea.

....did I mention I like this idea?

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   

...not playing.

I'm completely disgusted by any food that has such a consistency. It's not the flavor, it is the consistency. BLAH! GAG!

...and now, to my gravy and biscuits, before these nasty "fancy" food images turn me off completely.

*Smells bacon and walks away

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   

No worries, SO was not going to share with you peasants anyway.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: imod02

I think you should go back and read all relevant posts and make sure you're comprehending the situation accurately. I don't tend to equate wishing to remain operating in the black as a motivator to launch into greedy schemes. This place is too familial for all that.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
No worries, SO was not going to share with you peasants anyway.

It's a zero-sum proposition.

With the kind of false assumptions in the opening post of this thread, our actuals would not be believed anyway... leading to more drama and the gnashing of teeth.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
It's a zero-sum proposition.

With the kind of false assumptions in the opening post of this thread, our actuals would not be believed anyway... leading to more drama and the gnashing of teeth.

I hear you. What gets me is the obvious optional donation/pay to remove ads scenario is not so obvious for some people. Or is it?

I just think people like to get wound up for the sake of getting wound up.

For what it is worth there are plenty of us that appreciate this site and the amount of work that goes into it on a daily basis.

edit on 4-3-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

I agree. They wouldn't believe you.

However, you can keep your damned caviar, I'll stick with some good ole fashioned southern breakfast. (which is what Augustus and I were joking around about when you entered)

I'm supportive of you and this site, so, no bitching from me, no matter what you guys do.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   

I just think people like to get wound up for the sake of getting wound up.

You win the internet with such a fine observation of some here.

For what it is worth there are plenty of us that appreciate this site and the amount of work that goes into it on a daily basis.

Hear, hear!

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jakal26
You win the internet with such a fine observation of some here.

Well, now that I won the internet I am going to charge all of you cheapskates to use it and use the proceeds to have someone squeeze caviar straight from the sturgeon directly into my gob.

Nom, nom, nom.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Such a waste.
You're doin' it wrong. Wasting our hard earned money like that.

Coke and hookers for all!!

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Who knows, maybe it's like what some news sites do... 'This day in ATS history 2008, The Definitive UFO thread' And some hints & tips, like... 'By contributing to this thread it reactivates it and brings it back to life'. Just a thought.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join