It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The REAL election- 88% Congress up for election

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
With all of the hullabaloo about the circus we call presidential elections going on, I thought maybe we should discuss the REAL elections that actually matter.

It seems that come November a whopping 88% of congressional seats are up for grabs this year. This combined with the potential clowns running for POTUS has major implications for the future of American politics. Hell, regardless of who even becomes POTUS, the congressional elections alone can change everything.

Now, most pundits and simpletons may argue the semantics of which party will gain more leverage and how that'll affect the abilities to pass laws, but that really isn't the issue that needs discussed. What we really need to be discussing is The People's ability to truly have an impact on our governing bodies. With that many seats up for grabs, we have a real shot here to make a statement, considering the power that congress carries and the truth ( whether you choose to believe it) that the POTUS isn't much more than a figurehead.

It should really raise a few redflags for people that this isn't even being discussed on a national level, instead, we're being bombarded by divisive media pushing the presidential election.

So, I ask you ATS, why are we, as intelligent as we are as a collective, not discussing THIS?

Source

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Chickensalad

Everybody gets to vote for President.

Congress elections are in Districts only.

Senate elections are in States only.

So how can national news talk about hundreds of local elections?

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

While I understand what you are saying, it truly baffles me that this isn't even being discussed.

The media doesn't have to "cover" each individual election per say, but they should at least be discussing the fact that that many seats are up for election this year.....as should we.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I know some Superdelegates that have already "promised" Hillary their support that are not going to get re-elected. Like maybe Vermont's senior senator. See if Hillary will vote you in next time Pat.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Incumbency is a very powerful force. Congressional Approval may be in the tank, but at the local level people tend to be satisfied with their own Representatives and Senators.

Hell, over in Kansas they just re-elected Pat Roberts last year for Senator, and he doesn't even live in Kansas! His residence is in Virginia, his mail goes to Virginia, his kids went to school in Virginia, his wife works in Virginia! He shows up maybe twice a year for parades, works the campaign circuit every 6th year, gets the votes, then heads back to Virginia.

Until people wake up to that crap, and until the good ol' boys in state government start cracking down on that BS, what is there to discuss?

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Prediction: 80% of office holders running get reelected. Most will be distracted by the pres election and forget those in office now are not doing anything worthwhile and need to be replaced.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Prediction: 80% of office holders running get reelected. Most will be distracted by the pres election and forget those in office now are not doing anything worthwhile and need to be replaced.

Thats pretty much it right there.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
This is an extremely important thread. Thanks for starting it.

We need to get off our lazy behinds, do our research, and get the bought and paid for losers OUT!

Now is the time!

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Thank you....the complacency of some is astounding really.

We have a chance to actually be the change we want to see, but most are too enthralled in the reality show of the POTUS election, or just so beat down that they don't think The People are relevant anymore.

Well, I'm here to tell ya, THIS is our opportunity.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu
Incumbency is a very powerful force. Congressional Approval may be in the tank, but at the local level people tend to be satisfied with their own Representatives and Senators.

Hell, over in Kansas they just re-elected Pat Roberts last year for Senator, and he doesn't even live in Kansas! His residence is in Virginia, his mail goes to Virginia, his kids went to school in Virginia, his wife works in Virginia! He shows up maybe twice a year for parades, works the campaign circuit every 6th year, gets the votes, then heads back to Virginia.

Until people wake up to that crap, and until the good ol' boys in state government start cracking down on that BS, what is there to discuss?

WAS a powerful force. Did you learn nothing from the GOP taking majority of the Senate, while continuing to control the House? Top that off with the Trumpalooza bullett train now and you got yourself a voting base wanting NOTHING to do with same old, same old.

Changes are a comin'.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
This is an extremely important thread. Thanks for starting it.

We need to get off our lazy behinds, do our research, and get the bought and paid for losers OUT!

Now is the time!

This fall you will be able to vote for 1 or 2 congressmen. That's it. I have lost faith in the electorate to be bothered to do any background checks. At most they start paying attention one month before election time.

I didn't advocate them before, but we need term limits to push for turnover.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose

[Incumbency] WAS a powerful force. Did you learn nothing from the GOP taking majority of the Senate, while continuing to control the House? Top that off with the Trumpalooza bullett train now and you got yourself a voting base wanting NOTHING to do with same old, same old.

Changes are a comin'.

I learned nothing changes overnight. The GOP majority took 3 cycles. The previous Dem supermajority took 2 cycles.

I learned there is a silent majority that can be roused to action, but if the promises made are not kept then the majority looks elsewhere.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

So....

Register yourself.

Theres no reason The People cant flood the ballots....its been happening quite a bit locally and statewide here.

The idea of giving up and developing this victim mentality won't get us anywhere but more of the same.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Amash is my rep MI-D3. Easiest vote in my life.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
And really congress IS our whole problem. They get entrenched power by being in office for decades. We need drastic term limits. Limit congress to 2 years and 2 terms only. Then you can never get realected to congress.

That would get rid of all the entrenched politics. That would also get rid of much of the money and bribes going on. That's the only way anything changes. Everyone's a freshmen senator. Everyone gets' a chance to run and win. There are no more political Dynasties. It's just what we need.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   
With the GOP making it clear they are not supporting Trump, and with Independents and Democrats heavily motivated it is going to be an ugly election for the GOP. Trumps supporters are still a minority of the GOP. With half the GOP not motivated to vote at all because of Trump and the DNC backed by the independents heavily motivated to get out and vote the DNC is going to run the table. Unless the GOP is able to some how get Rubio in as the only one who polls with a chance, that would help same some the seats they will lose.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   
well, with congress approval ratings at an all time low of around %20 lets see how many morons will re-elect their same congressman.
I predict that people will re-elect the same congressmen and the 2017 approval rating will remain dismally low, and people wonder why nothing ever seems to change.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

primary voters are a minority compared to the voters of a general.
Also consider turnout. Romney and his turnout from 2012 would lose to trump 2016 even though romney had higher vote percentages.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Chickensalad

You misunderstand me.

Talking about the Congress on a broad spectrum level will accomplish nothing. Congress is elected on the local and state level. Education must also happen on those levels. There isn't enough time or resources to wage a campaign that discusses 435 Reps + 33 Senators when each person will personally only be able to take actions against 1 or 2 of them.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
well, with congress approval ratings at an all time low of around %20 lets see how many morons will re-elect their same congressman.
I predict that people will re-elect the same congressmen and the 2017 approval rating will remain dismally low, and people wonder why nothing ever seems to change.

National polls against locally elected people are worthless. Congressional approval was 12% in 2014, but my local Representative won with 78% of the vote. People will complain about everyone else, but they love their guy/gal.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join