It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pick up your damn cell phone!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
About three months ago I lost my cell phone at a supermarket. It was apparently found by some guy who called my daughter to let somebody know he had found it. She told him to drop it off back at the store he found it at and she would let me know. He said sure.

I went back and it wasn't there. I checked back periodically but it was never turned in. It was a cheap phone but I had installed a 64 gig chip and was using it as a Mobil storage for pictures, docs and music as well. Some very important pictures that couldn't be replaced. I really didn't care about the phone itself. Suffice it say, I had to break down and finally get a newer up to date phone.

Upsetting that someone would pick up a phone, attempt to get in contact with the owner, say they'd turn it in and then to simply NOT turn it in. So I was a bit peeved but let it go.

Yesterday, while out walking I saw a brand new cell phone lying in heavy traffic. It was in pieces but the case was one of those that were practically indestructible. So I thought "Hey cool" free case....when traffic died down I ran out grabbed all the pieces, Then started to snap all the pieces, battery etc together. I saw the screen side get run over like 4 or 5 times and was amazed it wasn't scratched at all. So, After I put it all together it turned on just fine and looked crystal clear and worked just fine.

Remembering how I felt when I lost mine I was determined to get it back to the owner. The next morning before work I started calling all the latest numbers in its call history. 14 calls later and no answers. Two people answered and both only spoke Russian. Those conversations went nowhere with a lot of "No Speak English" and "Yes Cell phone" followed by a bunch of words in Russian and both hung up. Finally, got a hold of some young guy who was the owners friend and explained that I had found the phone and was trying to return it. I told him where I worked and that they or somebody could come by since I was working and pick up his phone.

He asked if I could drop it off to him, I said no, that I was just starting work and he could come by and get it. 20 minutes later the phone rings and it's the guy who lost the phone wife and wanted to know why I had it? I explained to her that I found it and would like to get it back to the owner, She acted as if I had stolen it....

I again explained that I found it and where she or her husband may come get it. She then asked if I could drop it off? I said no, I'm at work and for her or her husband to come get it. Then about an hour later it rang again and this time it was the owner, he knew I found it and thanked me for calling his contacts in search of him. Then he asked me..... yes, you guessed it....... If I could drop it off.

Finally the guy came by and picked up his phone. I did my part, but man it's hard sometimes to do a good deed these days....

Some people are just lazy,

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

A good deed well done my man. Many would have kept it or sold it on. But yes you are correct, so many people want the moon on a stick these days. All I can say is, if I lose my phone I hope you find it... Just don't look at the pictures

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Karma Slayer!

I left mine on a shuttle at the DFW airport years ago; a beautiful young lady found it and did the same thing. I was so very grateful!

You made someones day, it WILL come back around

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Drop it off for them?
With that attitude you should have asked for a reward...

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

I had a little joke rant at work after the third request for me dropping it off and told one of my coworkers that I should just shove it in the shredder or recycling compactor and be done with it.

He and i both laughed....

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Upsetting that someone would pick up a phone, attempt to get in contact with the owner, say they'd turn it in and then to simply NOT turn it in.

Curious.

Perhaps they did turn in the phone, but someone else took advantage of the situation. Occam's Razor?

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69

I went back and it wasn't there. I checked back periodically but it was never turned in. It was a cheap phone but I had installed a 64 gig chip and was using it as a Mobil storage for pictures, docs and music as well. Some very important pictures that couldn't be replaced. I really didn't care about the phone itself. Suffice it say, I had to break down and finally get a newer up to date phone.

Just wondering, did you ever ring back to your lost phone?

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Do unto others as you hope they will do unto you...

If I find something of value, I always attempt to find the owner. I once found a bag of like $300 of makeup in a cab. There was a receipt in the bag. I took a good 45 minutes out of my busy day to take it back the store it was purchased at on Michigan Avenue to see if they could do a reverse lookup of the credit card. They wouldn't as policy so there was no way for me to get in touch with the owner. However, I did leave the bag with the store and asked them to contact the owner. I have no idea if they did, but I did my part.

I once lost my driver's license. Someone found it and returned it to me.

I found a purse scattered on the sidewalk in front of my condo. Ruffled through it and found the ID of the person. I was able to look them up online and called them. Apparently, she had been mugged a few hours earlier. I dropped the purse and remaining items off at the police station so she could pick it up.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   

The era of doing a good deed, making an effort, is passing.

I'm surprised you didn't get sued or not putting minutes on it or doing an upgrade.

Thanks a lot, Obama!

Slayer, you set a fine example. I hope others see it.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

The next morning before work I started calling all the latest numbers in its call history.

It didn't require a pass code, pattern trace, or touch ID to get in..? Yet, it was a new enough phone (the type that require you to unlock it) to have Gorilla glass or better..?

Either way, good on ya' for being altruistic Johnny boy, even if the story is a little suspect.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
Curious.

Perhaps they did turn in the phone, but someone else took advantage of the situation. Occam's Razor?

That possibility did cross my mind.

In any case I was still out the memory chip.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

Just wondering, did you ever ring back to your lost phone?

Yes, several times and text myself for them to turn it it in with contact info.

No replies, zip.. nada.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Ever since I watched ' The wrong mans' starring James Corden, I have never picked up a discarded/dropped mobile phone.

It could lead to all sorts of trouble.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Happened to me not long ago. Found it in the grass at the state capitol. Finally figured it out and called "home" and got the guy. I wound up mailing it to him because I was 100 miles away from him by then. The guy sent me a $20.00 Home Depot card in thanks! Very cool. The way it's supposed to work.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: BestinShow

It didn't require a pass code, pattern trace, or touch ID to get in..? Yet, it was a new enough phone (the type that require you to unlock it) to have Gorilla glass or better..?

Nope. no password was set.

I just swiped the start screen and saw a pic of a little boy set as the wallpaper. That tugged at my heart strings a bit. Softy that way.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

I've found a few phones and always handed them back.

Three years back I found a Samsung on the carpark outside the gym as I was leaving. Went through the phonebook and dialled the ICE, mum and dad numbers until I got through to dad. Turned out the owner was the manager of the gym. I told him I'd take it in there the next day (Sunday) and that was all.

Next day, I let the staff know I had the phone and asked for the manager. Went for a swim.

The manager phoned the police and they were waiting to interview me as I was leaving the sports centre. 'Thanks' would have been good and she thought a policeman with his notebook was the better option. They actually had CCTV of a teenager grabbing it from behind the counter

I did my part, but man it's hard sometimes to do a good deed these days....

Some people are big enough assholes that they do as much to stop 'good deeds' as the fricken criminals.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   

When I first read your title I thought of people who NEVER answer the phone.
Showing my age, it then occurred to me that we don't "pick up" cell phones to answer them do we?

Anyway, perhaps the person who found your phone was expecting/hoping for a reward and since one was not offered they just decided to keep the memory card anyway...I know that sucks but, some people think that way these days (unfortunately) IMO.

I found a wallet once in a grocery cart and returned it to the customer service. It bothered me only because I thought of the fact that if there was money in it the customer svc. person could easily take it and blame it on "the person who found it".
I suppose I am cynical and suspicious also.

Good for you for having the patience to do what you did!

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I couldn't help but notice, in both cases, the person with the phone in hand was asked to bring it somewhere so the original owner could have it back.

But I agree... The person that lost the phone should be elated enough to go and get the phone.... In both cases.

I should add.. In the US, it's a crime to not return the property (phone) to the owner. You could have forced the person who had your phone to return it to you personally, considering you pick it up, reward or no reward.

edit on 3-3-2016 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Most smart phones can be tracked via GPS.

Yeah there's an app for that.

No good deed goes unpunished.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

I wound up mailing it to him because I was 100 miles away from him by then. The guy sent me a $20.00 Home Depot card in thanks! Very cool. The way it's supposed to work.

The top of the line apple phone I found was ringing by the time i got it home. It was the owner, he got my address and drove over in his top of the line Mercedes, nice suit and gold watch.

Took the phone from my hand flippantly said thanks as he walked away.

hey dinkums how about a twenty for the lad… oh thats right he was rich, got there by always being on the take.

I hope your wife goes jogging out back and drops it again, I'll give it to my nephew to take apart.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join