It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please ATS Members and Non-Members alike, STOP Blocking Ads- Or there may be NO ATS at ALL

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: theySeeme
I'd also like to point out that this website doesn't even use an SSL certificate, so really - what expenses are costing the mods so much to keep this online? Let's be honest and transparent here.
I examine and build infrastructures far bigger than this on a monthly basis, trust me you can take my word for it.

The problem lies in that "ATS" is a brand and business for SO and the other founders, so their job is ATS and they need to be paid too.

So while it may be $600 a year to host, you have to add on a few hundred K for the peoples wages.

Although I think the problem isn't the adblockers, it's trying to run a conspiracy forum as a business and not adapting, expanding or modernising that business as outside of this forum I don't really know what ATS offers in terms of business services for them to make money

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: theySeeme

Thanks for that. I hope SO will chime in on your post.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Total member accounts: 309,685 members who have posted: 169,023 percentage who have posted: 55 % members with 20 or fewer posts: 106,765 members with 20 to 500 posts: 33,590 members with 500 to 1,00 posts: 2,995 members more than 1,000 posts: 3,539 New member accounts: Past 24 hours: 37 New member accounts: Past 7 days: 208 New member accounts: Past 30 days: 985 New member accounts: Past Year: 11,754
total posts: 19,258,750 total topics (threads): 1,054,475 topics (threads) with replies: 785,599 percentage of topics (threads) with replies: 74.5 % posts-to-threads ratio: 18:1 new posts: Past 24 hours: 3,455 new posts: Past 7 days: 22,539 new posts: Past 30 days: 104,841 new posts: Past Year: 1,419,984 Topics (threads) with more than 100 replies: 27,988 Topics (threads) that had to be removed: 43,896

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Yes, if you are a lurker, please consider posting, I looked at the stats last night and so few members actually post.

This is true, which is why we all know each other. If 200k members started posting regularly, that might not be the case as much.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I agree, this is about wages. We all know companies that reach this size try to take their friends and family (usually incompetent/overpaid) with them, and that usually does lead to failure if left unchecked.....

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
It is my humble opinion that the chase of $$ has been a downward spiral for ATS.

It seems to have lost touch with what made it great, dare I say the greatest conspiracy site on the web.

The need to expand into FB and twitter, and keeping the advertisers happy by censoring content has had a dramatic effect.

I understand the desire to grow as an entity, and to expand into different demographics, and to even make a living at it.

I just feel that with all the focus on growth, ATS has taken its eye off the ball of the foundation that made this site what it once was.

Sometimes bigger is not better.

But since it is in the T&C's that everyone signed, turn OFF the ad blockers.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican
Wow. Ok. I've been here over ten years, and the site has remained free. Don't you people think that I would like it to REMAIN free? Of course I would. But it apparently has reached a scale where that may no longer be possible. So now it's our problem too.

'You are right, that seems to be the case. Over the last couple of years we have with increasing frequency been told about the increasing cost as the site has grown - but everything being equal, should not the cost per hit user go down as the scale goes up?

So everything else seem to not to be equal - so what gives? What has changed? Where does the money go? These are questions that have been raised and, I think, deserves some answers. And, mind you, I would be perfectly happy with the answer being "nothing, nowhere, we just feel it is time to cash in in all the work we have done".

I think (or hope) that is something a lot of other users would respect too.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
People don't post because they don't want to be on the LIST.

With the rest of us...

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

I was gonna call my tech support company and have them white list ATS, but being the "high level mason" that I am I don't see ads.

It might have something to do with the fact that I participate, but I'm sticking with the Mason route!

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

This is total B.S. As a computer programmer and web developer with over 13 years of experience I can without a doubt say that a site on the traffic and size (of database/text) could easily be hosted on a 15-25$/monthly plan.

This is not about ATS closing, it's about someone wanting to make a profit off of the website, nothing more.

You are making this claim. YOU prove it.

Sure, I know this website is not doing more than 40 million hits per day.

40 million hits per day on a website like this could be hosted on a $10 VPS (virtual private server) with like 1gb of RAM (if running on linux/centos, which this website already is), at minimum on what's known as a LAMP stack (combination of server software). When properly configured using a database cache, page cache, and tuning - along with php-fpm (which most already use), resource usage is extremely low.

Considering the amount of connection errors per page load (there are 5 seperate errors on this website), and poorly written code, as well as load time we can assume that this website is using quite a bit of resources, in which case a dedicated server could be looked at. 4 TB of storage space, unlimited bandwith, 700 Gbps of DDoS protection (no one else can beat that), 32gb of RAM + any OS can be had for just 45-75$ a month in multiple data centers around the world.

I'd like to mention that this server would be OVERKILL for this website - wouldn't require more than 8gb of ram (or perhaps 4gb on DDR4).

I'd also like to point out that this website doesn't even use an SSL certificate, so really - what expenses are costing the mods so much to keep this online? Let's be honest and transparent here.
I examine and build infrastructures far bigger than this on a monthly basis, trust me you can take my word for it.

EDIT: If Skeptic or some other site admin or moderator needs my assistance on running this entire website for under $20 a month guaranteed, I'll gladly sign a contract and help you guys get it set up and running, this way you can keep the site online for everyone.

Excellent breakdown - thanks
I too suspected it wouldn't suck up too many resources. Hell, I have VPSs that run that and they are cheap as chips. Maybe ATS is getting ripped off by their IT guy. Give this man the job and get rid of the rubbish ads and 'design tweaks' please, thanks.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Yes, if you are a lurker, please consider posting, I looked at the stats last night and so few members actually post.

Hmmm...Sorry, but I get a bit fed up with posting at times, when if you have an opinion different from the standard "group think" you are called racist, nazi, bigot etc, have posts removed as off topic when they are not, though posts that contain direct personal insults like the above, are allowed to remain and threads get closed meaning that the discussion is just shut down..it gets very disheartening tbh as I am none of these things, but I just don't have an ultra left agenda, so am often shut down as are many others, so often I just read and keep my opinions to myself, as it's just not worth the hassle. I have a serious chronic illness and the stress from some encounters on here just puts me off

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Shut it down

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
If I am not mistaken when I first started posting, there were no ads,

Plus I notice, myself included, less people want to start threads, I will wait and wait for a thread on important breaking news that will already be posted on other lesser sites, I don't start topics anymore because of the insults.

Notice how this topic OP has already got grief for the topic.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

This is total B.S. As a computer programmer and web developer with over 13 years of experience I can without a doubt say that a site on the traffic and size (of database/text) could easily be hosted on a 15-25$/monthly plan.

Let us know when you come up with all the numbers for hits, bandwidth usage, storage, and so on that support your contention, and everyone else that agreed with you, and maybe we'll listen. Until then...

This is not about ATS closing, it's about someone wanting to make a profit off of the website, nothing more.

Since when is turning a profit for all the blood, sweat, and tears you pour into a business, a bad thing. You think I service hundreds of clients across several counties because it's fun? No. I'm trying to make a living, and that means turning a profit.

ETA: Just saw your post above. Still reading, and will look into it.

I think you are taking offense to what I said some what, I proudly support and browse this site daily. There is nothing wrong with wanting to turn a profit - but I think when wants start getting disguised at needs it not only sends the wrong message - it creates the wrong atmosphere.

Profit in many aspects can be a good thing, as it provides the webmasters here incentive to expand, grow and maintain the site. Let's be honest, no one should WORK for free (which is exactly what the owners of this website do, apart from the ads they are working for free).

Computer hardware and networking are at an all time low with cost decreasing every single day. In fact, the cost to host a website has dropped at a rate FAR bigger than the rising traffic of this website, so it shouldn't cost more.

It's also entirely possible that the webmasters of this website are being ripped off by their hosting provider, or paying for more hardware than they need, in which case I shouldn't be so quick to pass judgement. Hosting is a dirty business, I've seen 1$ packages sold for $1,0000 so.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: destination now

Hmmm...Sorry, but I get a bit fed up with posting at times, when if you have an opinion different from the standard "group think" you are called racist, nazi, bigot etc, have posts removed as off topic when they are not, though posts that contain direct personal insults like the above, are allowed to remain and threads get closed meaning that the discussion is just shut down..it gets very disheartening tbh as I am none of these things, but I just don't have an ultra left agenda, so am often shut down as are many others, so often I just read and keep my opinions to myself, as it's just not worth the hassle. I have a serious chronic illness and the stress from some encounters on here just puts me off

True, and I too post less for the same reasons

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   

I'm not bothered about ads on ATS.

What I am bothered about though is paying to talk to people which is basically what we are doing.... talking! Talking is free... we are all blessed with that... mind you maybe tptb will start taxing what comes out of our mouth one day.

It's the same with 'dating' sites. Why should we have to pay to talk to someone? These sites popped up to scam singletons and there are a lot of fake profiles on those sites! Same with those other ones... like Adultfriendfinder for example. Facebook and Twitter are free to talk and so is email and skype!

And another thing.. I don't like to give out personal information which includes name, address, phone number, credit card details...

AT~S could basically become a Forum on facebook for free if the site owners actually wanted that.

link   

Total member accounts: 309,685 members who have posted: 169,023 percentage who have posted: 55 % members with 20 or fewer posts: 106,765 members with 20 to 500 posts: 33,590 members with 500 to 1,00 posts: 2,995 members more than 1,000 posts: 3,539 New member accounts: Past 24 hours: 37 New member accounts: Past 7 days: 208 New member accounts: Past 30 days: 985 New member accounts: Past Year: 11,754
total posts: 19,258,750 total topics (threads): 1,054,475 topics (threads) with replies: 785,599 percentage of topics (threads) with replies: 74.5 % posts-to-threads ratio: 18:1 new posts: Past 24 hours: 3,455 new posts: Past 7 days: 22,539 new posts: Past 30 days: 104,841 new posts: Past Year: 1,419,984 Topics (threads) with more than 100 replies: 27,988 Topics (threads) that had to be removed: 43,896

These stats are not really much to go on as usage could be 100x as much as these stats since these stats only factor in registered members (and I think that this website has many more people who just read without signing up). In either case, if we were to take the total 300,000 member accounts and multiply that by 100, we'd end up with 30 million visitors, which is still 10 million (an entire 25%) less than my ball park figure of 40 million.

link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican

THIS SITE IS BIG AND IT TAKES A LOT OF RESOURCES TO KEEP RUNNING.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT? DO YOU?

Who are you? Do you speak for ATS. DO YOU? I really think it's none of your damn business and perhaps you should get a life and worry about your own problems. The fact is that ATS has an "ad blocker checker" anyway. This prevents you from accessing ATS until you turn it off. So what's your problem?

The fact is ATS has done almost nothing in the last few years in fixing their site. They tweaked the home page a bit and that's it. Meanwhile they ignore issues and don't do anything to fix them. Did you really earn that many stars? Did I? Nope. It's some sort of bug that "kicks in" over some odd issue. You'd think they'd look into it, but they just ignore it. ATS is more or less on auto pilot these days.

The fact is ATS is based on "user generated content." Do you know what that is? DO YOU? It means that WE make ATS what it is. WE provide all the content--FOR FREE. All ATS does is collect ad revenue. It's obvious they have done everything in their power to maximize that. That's okay with me. But this idea that they are as poor as church mice and that ad blockers will make them fade away is preposterous. They're raking in the dough. .This is NOT a 401(c)3 charity. It's a for-profit corporation. They're making money off OUR content.

Since they have an ad blocker checker anyway, it's a moot point.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I shut off my ad-blocker, I now have no issues with the site, but um... have yet to see an add. I'm not complaining but um... is this bad for the site, what's going on?

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: destination now

The left is just loud...But, harmless.

What gets me is why you would let someone you never met bother you.

Who cares what some nameless, faceless political hack screams.

I would like to read your posts.

Please don't let anyone get to you. They're probably 12.

Have a great day. Best of Luck with your health.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join