It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please ATS Members and Non-Members alike, STOP Blocking Ads- Or there may be NO ATS at ALL

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Is that what you want? No ATS? I sure don't want that.

While things are in transition and revenue streams are figured out, the very least you can do RIGHT NOW to help is to disable any ad-blocking software. The management has said many times that this is critical to help finance the tremendous costs of running this great site. It is big and takes a lot of resources.

No, let me repeat that.

THIS SITE IS BIG AND IT TAKES A LOT OF RESOURCES TO KEEP RUNNING.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT? DO YOU?

Then stop what you are doing, RIGHT NOW, and disable your ad blocking software. Simply click "Disable ad-blocking on abovetopsecret.com"

There. Now, Don't you feel better? You did your little part. And even though that may still not be enough in the long run, at least you did that. And it would also help to actually CLICK on an ad that interests you either once in a while and go check it out.

I placed this in this forum so that non-members will see this as well. Considering that some 75% or more of hits (according to management) are from non-logged in members or non-members, it would seem prudent to do so. Consider it Education of the masses that Media costs money. Nothing is free forever. Except maybe air. And who knows how long that will last either.

And to all you takers out there, yeah the ones that always just read and never or hardly ever start threads, how about considering contributing a thread once in a while? It takes that too to keep this site running. Or are you just going to keep taking and taking until there is nothing left to take? New trees have to be planted or the forest will die. So help. HELP, dammit. Stop just reading, and actually go out and get an interesting topic and bring it here, or write one yourself. Let's keep this site alive. At least, that's the way I feel. It is worth it.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Come on all! The adds are not that bad- look at the trade to be on the best site for conspiracy and general knowlage sharing!

ETA, I mentioned before, I dont have any problems w/the adds..

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

This is total B.S. As a computer programmer and web developer with over 13 years of experience I can without a doubt say that a site on the traffic and size (of database/text) could easily be hosted on a 15-25$/monthly plan.

This is not about ATS closing, it's about someone wanting to make a profit off of the website, nothing more.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: theySeeme

If that could be done, I trust Skeptic Overlord would have already done it. Me thinks you know not of what you speak, and of the real depth of the problem. But I'll defer to management on that one- if they care to answer.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I don't use an ad blocker, but after this little rant I'm thinking of installing one. Who are you to tell me what to do?
And SHOUTING won't get you anywhere

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican

If that could be done, I trust Skeptic Overlord would have already done it. Me thinks you know not of what you speak, and of the real depth of the problem. But I'll defer to management on that one- if they care to answer.

I welcome & challenge Skeptic Overlord to prove me wrong right here in public.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
No

You can't make me, or anyone, do anything.

The site will live or die - such is life.

Another will crop up.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
And personally, I think people should be concerned that this is happening considering anything good that has ever headed in the direction of profit has never lasted or remained a thing of quality.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Chemicalbrother

He wasn't shouting, he just has turrets. It's all good.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: theySeeme

This is total B.S. As a computer programmer and web developer with over 13 years of experience I can without a doubt say that a site on the traffic and size (of database/text) could easily be hosted on a 15-25$/monthly plan.

This is not about ATS closing, it's about someone wanting to make a profit off of the website, nothing more.

You are making this claim. YOU prove it.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

I think it is a harmless way of making money. There is a line where they can be annoying. So, I would lower profit expectations and limit the quantity. But, really I don't know how business is done in this century.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Given the talk about paid access, though, it would be interesting to see what this site costs to run. Content is user generated, staff are members, the site is almost void of bandwidth consuming media - avatars and few images here and there, that is it - and there should be no heavy database workload.

I doubt the previous poster's claim about costs, but he does have a point about this being one of the cheaper sites to run. Or so I guess (hence the interest in the operating costs.)

Edit: I have no problem what so ever with SO making money on this site - by al means do so, if you can, you should; I believe in capitalism and the market forces! I just don't want to be fed lies (or have truths withheld) about cost in the process.

edit on 2-3-2016 by DupontDeux because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

originally posted by: theySeeme

You are making this claim. YOU prove it.

Sure, I know this website is not doing more than 40 million hits per day.

40 million hits per day on a website like this could be hosted on a $10 VPS (virtual private server) with like 1gb of RAM (if running on linux/centos, which this website already is), at minimum on what's known as a LAMP stack (combination of server software). When properly configured using a database cache, page cache, and tuning - along with php-fpm (which most already use), resource usage is extremely low.

Considering the amount of connection errors per page load (there are 5 seperate errors on this website), and poorly written code, as well as load time we can assume that this website is using quite a bit of resources, in which case a dedicated server could be looked at. 4 TB of storage space, unlimited bandwith, 700 Gbps of DDoS protection (no one else can beat that), 32gb of RAM + any OS can be had for just 45-75$ a month in multiple data centers around the world.

I'd like to mention that this server would be OVERKILL for this website - wouldn't require more than 8gb of ram (or perhaps 4gb on DDR4).

I'd also like to point out that this website doesn't even use an SSL certificate, so really - what expenses are costing the mods so much to keep this online? Let's be honest and transparent here.
I examine and build infrastructures far bigger than this on a monthly basis, trust me you can take my word for it.

EDIT: If Skeptic or some other site admin or moderator needs my assistance on running this entire website for under $20 a month guaranteed, I'll gladly sign a contract and help you guys get it set up and running, this way you can keep the site online for everyone.

edit on 2-3-2016 by theySeeme because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-3-2016 by theySeeme because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Typical alarmist over reacting thread from TA, you certainly don't disappoint man...

ATS isn't going to close down because of people using adblock, the way you're talking is like everybody only just discovered adblock last week, yet it has been in existence and in use probably as long as ATS has been around.

And do we really need another thread on the same subject that SO has already discussed with us ?

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I don't mind ads, but I hate when they flash. That draws attention but disrupts your comprehension away from what you are reading. I am not attracted to colors anymore.

There aren't many ads here anyway when you join so joining is better.

My settings do not allow tracking and I have adjusted most things so I can research what I want, not what a browser thinks I want.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Why would I block ads? How else am I going to find horny singles in my area?

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
Why would I block ads? How else am I going to find horny singles in my area?

Or that item on amazon that you bought months ago but some tracking cookies are triggering to display

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Wow. Ok. I've been here over ten years, and the site has remained free. Don't you people think that I would like it to REMAIN free? Of course I would. But it apparently has reached a scale where that may no longer be possible. So now it's our problem too. Of course I expect that the takers, with nothing much invested here, will remain of the opinion to just let the site die. But I don't feel that way with the time and effort I have invested here, and I can only imagine what it must feel like to Springer and Skeptic.

So maybe it is a rant. I guess my CIWS turrets activated at incoming, site-killing ballistic projectiles. Death is hovering overhead.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Let us know when you come up with all the numbers for hits, bandwidth usage, storage, and so on that support your contention, and everyone else that agreed with you, and maybe we'll listen. Until then...

Since when is turning a profit for all the blood, sweat, and tears you pour into a business, a bad thing. You think I service hundreds of clients across several counties because it's fun? No. I'm trying to make a living, and that means turning a profit.

ETA: Just saw your post above. Still reading, and will look into it.

edit on 3/2/2016 by Klassified because: eta

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Yes, if you are a lurker, please consider posting, I looked at the stats last night and so few members actually post.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join