It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You're Blocking Ads While On ATS, You Get A Big Ugly Message

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:
(post by skyblueworld removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: vind21
So while I know its hurting you guys and other sites like you, I applaud ad blocker for making the internet use-able again, I do not want a world where I walk by a vending machine and it starts playing music and yelling at me to buy something, which is what the internet had largely become.

Hehehehe.

Have you been in some of the bigger chain stores lately? (Walmart, Sam's Club, Krogers, Bi-Lo, etc, etc).

They have these flat screen monitors on the end of the isles that blare out adverts at you, and in Sam's Club, they have these machines that sense motion near them and suddenly blurt out: "Want to try a sample? Scan your Sam's Card to get a free sample!" making me jump about 5 feet away from them.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

S.O. Thanks. Even with my minimal phone, tab, PC and laptop...I never have blocked anything because I've never had to...luckily.

Thanks for your efforts for the greater good!!!!

MS

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   

If that's the way you're going to be, then quite frankly I hope ATS goes out of business. I will never enable ads on any site. As far as I am concerned you are the lowest form of scum sucking scum to try and force them onto people.

If or when I can't log in without disabling my ad blocker, that will be the last day I log into ATS. There are other forums out there that are more accommodating. I will just go there.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
a reply to: PeterMcFly

I just think ad-blocking in general is unethical and overly-paranoid.

I've never blocked ads. I've never had problems.

Of course, I have intimate direct knowledge of how the ad technology works, and it's nothing like the FUD the ad-blocking companies feed you.

Paranoid, but then you write this?

The vast, overwhelming majority of our ads are impression-based. Meaning, if you see them, we get paid.

All about the $$$$.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: skyblueworld
All about the $$$$.

And eating. And paying rent. And paying for the servers. And paying people who work for us.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Ok Captain.... Message understood.

Over and Out.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: peskyhumans
So are you going to start sending him YOUR paycheck to keep this site up and running? SO and others work hard so that we can have a site to go to. Maybe you should build your own ad-free site and see how that works out.

Everyone wants to play but no one wants to pay

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Is there a possibility that I could pay to access the site without doing anything to my computer?

I'm not computer savvy at all and my PC is vital to my business. I can't afford to have another virus because I accidentally clicked on an add for something that I have no intention to buy.

I can view this site from my phone but my shop PC is now blocked. I don't have a clue on how to change settings to allow adds, nor would I want to.

I'd rather pay to view this site than alter any settings on my computer. And changing settings means I have to pay the tech company that built my machine to do so, as I have no clue on how to do it.

So, can we get the opportunity to pay for a subscription without altering our computers, or are we SOL?

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   

I'm not kissing butt here, I am honestly grateful for what you endure to provide us this place that I enjoy.
I can learn I can share I can piss people off and argue just to argue...good fun...
Thank You...

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Ummm...don't take it personally...I block adds on every site I visit...and if they don't let me in because I do then I just go elsewhere...
As others have stated...I do it because I live out in the sticks...where the only internet providers are crap...
I get it...I really do...I've owned a number of businesses...
I just want to let you know that none of that advertising ever prompts me to purchase anything they're trying to sell...

As I've stated...I can appreciate where your coming from on this from a business point of view...
I've got too much of an ATS addiction going to let that little click in addblocker plus...deny me my...fix...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Out of curiosity, is ATS your full-time job, part-time job, or hobby?

You've likely stated this somewhere else, so you have my apologies, but I felt like asking.
edit on 1/3/2016 by Eilasvaleleyn because: Reasons

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
An alternative would be sponsors instead of running ads. Of course sponsors could have ads at log in screen and banners for different pages.
But if you want to really trick up the advertising/blocking then force them to run by having random posts perhaps ones that garner a certain number of stars contain a random ad or banner at the bottom of the post that would remain there forever.
Also if you had experts that have thier opinions valued by a sponsor for obvious reasons all of thier posts in relevant forums would contain an ad for them.
Food for thought perhaps...
edit on 1-3-2016 by 5StarOracle because: word

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
The advert on this site are problematic. They aren't respecting the site design, use a large band width, are susceptible to cross-scripting, use tracking cookies and are often invasive.

I would suggest a paid subscription to get ride of the advertisement. I'm the kind of guy that willing to pay for good thing. ATS is good, but there is a catch. Most of the content is generated BY MEMBERS and I saw many thread asking for picture, or benevolent jobs.The people give the information freely on this website, don't expect me to pay you when you don't pay your mains source of revenue.

So, I would pay 12$/Year for the hosting fees, ten person like me and you can pay a bad-ass server for a month, a hundred for a full year. Want more? Offer more.

Out of other options, this banner will make me leave, but I'm not a big contributor. I hope some of your big writer will stop posting, so you see who is really making this website living.

edit: If only 0.1% of your yearly visitor pay you 12$/Year you would have a really good living!
edit on 1-3-2016 by PersonneX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eilasvaleleyn
Out of curiosity, is ATS your full-time job

Yes.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

How are you getting revenue from people like me who won't click?

Because of your content. That was good content, by the way.

I don't buy because of ads, either.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: ForteanOrg
It is by no means unethical to decide for yourself which content is blocked on your own personal computer

No ads get installed on your own personal computer, they're temporarily displayed in a browser.

But it IS unethical to probe my personal system (browser) to try to figure out if I do or do not have an ad-blocker installed.

No probing is done at all. A simple test is run to look for ad-blocking behavior.

ATS owners now actively probe my system - without my consent

You're wrong, see above.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I clicked on it and allowed ats, but this is the only site that will be granted that, let me tell you. I like my adblocking.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Unity_99
I like my adblocking.

Thanks for allowing on ATS, but that statement is still unfortunate.

I fear for the future of independent thought online.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

originally posted by: Unity_99
I like my adblocking.

I fear for the future of independent thought online.

Interesting observation.

So does this mean unless all acquiesce to the overwhelming advertising pressure on the internet that the whole internet will be subverted?

I too fear the same thing, but I actually believe the Internet as a whole is well past this point. ATS is one of the few remaining bastions of fairly balanced discussion.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join