It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sigh, my free Windows 10 upgrade hasn't been too "free" so far.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

You made so many good points that I would give you more than one star if I could.

Most of your actions are tracked and recorded unless you turn off about 100 different settings.
Although there is a nearly endless list, that is one of the main things I hate about Windows 10. And the worst part about turning off all those spy features is that Microsoft has issued at least one set of updates that reset them all back to their defaults! And of course there is no way to disable or otherwise control how Win10 downloads and applies those updates.

I have almost gone hoarse several times over the years yelling at Windows computers to "STOP HELPING ME!" Fortunately with enough research I can generally figure out how to un-dumb the machine to make it do what I need. Unfortunately, it looks to me like Win10 is built to specifically disable our ability to do that.

Win 7 is good until 2020. When I get to the end of Win 7 support, I'll think about upgrading to Win10. Hopefully by that point some enterprising young engineer will figure out a way to more-or-less permanently un-dumb that OS.

-dex

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Well after years of windows 7 running just how I like it, I suffered a hdd failure. Bugger, not to worry as this pc is running eight hdd's in it, so pretty much everything is backed up twice. Anyway, I started getting odd problems occurring - firewall which had worked great for years started throwing up all of issues, once I fixed that, something else would go wrong.
It was really unusual and after about 4 installs of win 7 trying different combo's to get to the bottom of it, I figured it was because my copy of windows was slightly lets say dodgy. I'm a poor man, seeking out free firewalls (pctools firewall which has been discontinued but worked fine until a few months back), Bitdefender free edition for anti virus etc.

Anyway, my pc is used for music recording/ media serving for the whole house/ and using windows media center for watching and recording live tv broadcasts. Basically, the whole house was whinging so I had to bite the bullet and buy a genuine copy of windows.

Now, I want to avoid Windows 10 because no Windows Media Center anymore, which is a completely tight arse bonkers decision by microsoft. So I do a quick search (HERES MY BLUNDER) and see windows 8.1 pro version gets you windows media cente with itr.

Fine..

So I buy Windows 8.1 Pro from a website which is supposedly verified, but seemed too good to be true for $40. (The code actually activated fine with microsoft so far, but I wouldn't be surprised if it dies in a month...)

Anyway, install was fine and then began the headaches. Where is Windows Media Center? I search online, 'it's a $10 add on for win 8.1 pro that you add in the "features" section'. Those scummy pricks! I think, but I've gone this far, I have to have it working as there is no other viable solution for my old but still working great (on WMC) twin tv tuner.

But the search for it comes up empty.. What the heck is going on? Well, Microsoft has cheaped out so much that you now cannot even install or purchase Windows Media Center anymore at all. Thanks Microsoft, home theatre pc enthusiasts are raging mad but MS doesn't listen. Be warned if anyone is expecting it. If you were lucky enough to get it before October 2015 you're ok for now, otherwise you're stuffed.

I've only just found a crappy semi-solution that lets me watch tv, but it has crackles in the sound and sometimes wont change channels unless you quit out, and no more tv epg guide either. Tomorrow I will attack trying to get media player to properly serve media around the house like it used to do fine. But I'm anticipating major problems, if that works fine then I guess Windows 8.1 will have to do, but the first thing I did was use a tool called GWXControlPanel which hopefully stops any win 10 nagging or auto downloading.

Microsoft has a pack of fools running things there making decisions they 'think' we want, but they seem so far away it's crazy. If they just made a Windows 7 HD Re-Release with a freshened up skin normal start menu, the programs we want, and no stupid flat walls of colour sliding over everything as if I'm a toddler on my first PC. ARGH!

Sorry, I needed this rant!

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Such as...
USB 3
Networking
Memory leaks
Windows update
UEFI (Admittedly, a mixed bag)
System Kernel code
and more.

If you don't like the social networking and privacy issues, turn them off. The same way you do on your smartphone. Oh wait...you can't turn most of that crap off in your smartphone, but you can in Win10.

The fact the OP had to use another computer to log into his main computer is simply ridiculous, logging into your computer should never be tied to the internet in any way, it's just asking for trouble.

If the OP and you would have done even a small amount of research, both of you would have known the login never had to be "tied into the internet" to start with. All he had to do was use a local account.

Windows 10 is an OS for total noobs...

I've heard all these complaints, and many others since the days of DOS. Windows 95 was the end of the world, the mark of the beast. Every new version is the horror of horrors. I have my own issues with the total idiocy of Microsoft. The biggest is they don't listen to the very people they asked to beta test for them. They also have some big internal issues right now, and the new CEO is a bigger idiot than the last one was.

but if you want to have multiple partitions and do more complicated things like the OP, you will inevitably run into trouble because they've designed everything in a way which is most likely to screw with advanced users who like to have more control over things.

Everything you listed here can be done with 8 and 10. However, I would not argue that neither is particularly conducive to such, and that is intentional. 8 and 10 are meant to be run with UEFI, not legacy. I personally like the idea of uefi, but not its implementation, which has so far been problematic for the end-user. 8 and 10 are written to be the sole OS, and other OS'es run in Virtual machines inside 8 and 10, for security reasons.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   
for those paranoid types worried about windows calling home download windows firewall control i use the free one.

only issues i've encountered when upgrading to windows 10 was the updates, i turned off automatic updates during windows 10 upgrade, and used this free program to download and install updates, then turned automatic updates back on.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

USB 3

What specifically about USB 3 is better on Windows 10? I've never had any problems using external USB3 HDD's on 7.

Networking

Again, I don't have any networking issues with Windows 7, what specifically makes 10 better?

Memory leaks

What memory leaks? Windows 7 runs extremely stable for me and the memory usage is constant, I don't see any leaks.

Windows update

Again, why is 10 better for updates? As far as I know the user has a lot less control over when and what updates are allowed in Windows 10, how exactly is that better? Things being dumbed down does not make them better for experienced users...

UEFI

I have a dual boot system (Ubuntu and W7) which uses a UEFI bios and Windows 7 starts up fine, although admittedly it was quite tricky to get it working properly.

System Kernel code

I have heard that Windows 10 runs certain things a bit faster than 7 but that isn't really enough to convince me when there are so many other potential down sides. Also I have read many user reports about old games and software not working on 10 and I don't want to shift over to 10 only to find that I cannot get many programs to run properly. Windows 7 is extremely compatible with most software whether old or new. Also I was doing some reading the other day while attempting to optimize my Skyrim configuration, and came across this little snippet of information which doesn't fill me with confidence in the stability or memory management abilities of W10:

Notice:Windows 8/10 users: Microsoft has, unintentionally, introduced a memory limit for DirectX 9 games/software. This limit is 4GBs (4096) and there is nothing which can be done to circumvent this limit. For users seeing the VRamSizeTest tool reporting 4064 or similar, this is not a mistake. This is actually the limit for the OS in use and the maximum value you can set the VideoMemorySizeMb to.

wiki.step-project.com

edit on 29/2/2016 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
If Win 7 works for you, stay with it. I still have 2 machines running it, and have no intention of changing them. My main and secondary machines run Windows 10 pro. It's as stable and fast as anything before it, and more so in some ways, including those I listed. I realize it's PC to hate on Windows 10, and most aren't going to listen to anything but what they want to hear. I don't have that option. I can't advise clients based on my prejudices, likes, and dislikes. And trust me, I have likes and dislikes. If it were up to me, 8 and 10 would be scrapped, and MS would start work on a real OS. But that isn't going to happen, because the end user would rather bitch and moan, than sit down to their keyboards, and write to Microsoft by the millions, until they give the user what the user wants.

I can post articles and white papers all day long on fixes in 8 and 10, and it won't change anyone's mind. Windows 10 is what it is. Either we get off our asses and force MS to change it without sacrificing newer tech and fixes, or we live with it.
edit on 2/29/2016 by Klassified because: wording

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: fossilera

I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 to see the "benefits".. Reverted back successfully. It just so happens my user profile for 8.1(admin) became corrupted just a few months later.. After years of thelaptop .. Coincidence..??

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Ever since I've stopped using PC all together and went with an iMac and El Capitan, it's has been a miracle.

Never crash, no bugs, no issues. The thing just do what it's intended to do, no problem what's so ever. It's easy, intuitive, and user friendly.

Now back on my laptop using Windows 8.1, Microsoft Outlook crashes everyday, problems left and right. WiFi drops every so often, this crap that crap... oh my god.

I know we all like to hate on Apple, but you know, sometimes, just sometimes, being an iTard is really less trouble some than being a PC Cool Guy.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: evenkeel
i've been using windows 10 for four months...flawless performance.
must be a you thing.

---

Depends on the hardware mostly!

I've been using computer since I was 7 years old
installing and running everything from MS-DOS/PC-DOS 1.0
to Amiga-OS to Atari to Unix, Linux, Theos, Beos, Cray-OS,
Solaris, MacOS, Windows 1.0 to Windows 10 and now our
own custom stuff.

One key thing for Windows is proper use of Permissions,
Get a progrram called Paragon Drive Image or Acronis True Image
so you can make fast low-level Drive-Image backups and restores.

Then add Administrator, System, Service, Network Service,
and your LOCAL MACHINE acount name (i.e. Local_Username)
and your Domain Username (i.e. Domain_Username) and
Domain Administrator account to your "C:" boot disk
security permissions (i.e. add Full Control to the
permissions) Do this security permissions settings
in Command Prompt SAFE MODE so that Windows
doesn't interfere.

Doing this allows drivers for hardware
such as USB 3.0, Network Card, Graphics
to be PROPERLY installed when you
download the LATEST UPDATES for
those items DIRECTLY FROM the
Manufacturer (i.e. AMD/NVIDIA,
VIA Motherboard/Chipset drivers, etc)
Also FLASH your motherboard BIOS
to the LASTEST version BEFORE
upgrading!

Also flash update any DVD Drive BIOSes,
USB hub bioses (if attached), all mouse
and any keyboard/webcam/soundcard drivers
if you use Logitech or Creative Labs Soundblaster
peripherals.

I've literally got EVERY version of Windows
ever made running and it is DEFINITELY mostly
hardware drivers/bioses update and disk
permissions related.

My hardware:
Tyan Thunder MOBO
4 AMD opterons CPU at 16 cores each (64 cores)
four AMD S9150 Firepro Workstation cards
main ram is 512 Gigabytes onboard RAM
system memory and 3.5 Terabytes off-board
in extra PCI ram-card,
4 Sandisk SSD drives at 1 terabyte each
and 2 petabytes online RAID array storage
1400 Watts PSU,
four 4K displays and 3 1920x1080p displays
under Eyefinity desktop group
at 16k by 3k resolution!

This is it!
files.abovetopsecret.com...

OH YEAH BABY! It SCREAMS LIKE A BANSHEE !!!!!
edit on 2016/2/29 by StargateSG7 because: sp

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Still running windows 7 here.

I keep getting that windows 10 ad to upgrade for 'free'.

I been putting it off, and after the op.

Think i will keep doing so.

As old as Win 7 is?

Still does everything I need it to.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: fossilera

I mentioned this in another thread way back. Win 10 is more like an app selling crap!

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: fossilera

First of all, I am not computer illiterate; my degree is in software engineering...

Called up Microsoft Support...

2. After that mess, I ended up resetting my PC. Seemed to fix the issue, despite me losing almost all my files and programs.

More than fed up at this point, I just clicked the "buy now" option, which wouldn't work unless I was logged in with a Microsoft Web account. So I created the account, logged into it, and found that they didn't charge me for Windows 10 Pro upgrade (still don't know why). All was working again.

4. Here's the last straw for me: My motherboard died yesterday. So, I went out and bought a new Laptop. Now, in Windows 7, you can actually swap the hardrives between computers, so that you basically have the same drive you always use in the new PC (you might need to install some new drivers and utilities, but it's doable). All I used to have to do was run Startup Repair, and Windows never asked for Activation.

The first thing they ask for: What was my old Windows 7 Pro license? (Which I purchased as an upgrade a long time ago). Don't have it. They then looked at my existing Windows 10 Pro key (still on my hardrive). I basically let him bill me for a full Windows 10 Pro license ($200).

You tout yourself as come kind of computer expert yet you make silly comments disproving your literacy. You obviously don't know what you are talking about so please do not misrepresent your level of expertise. I could go on and on about it but the dead give away is your item number 4.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Still running windows 7 here.

I keep getting that windows 10 ad to upgrade for 'free'.

I been putting it off, and after the op.

Think i will keep doing so.

As old as Win 7 is?

Still does everything I need it to.

===

Microsoft DOES OFFER a downloadable ISO disc image allowing
you to do a TRULY CLEAN INSTALL of the Windows OS from scratch.

Here is a suggestion:

Paragon Drive Image Backup (free edition -- fancy versions
are getting up there in price at $300+ but well worth
the money -- Much Cheaper than the Pro $3500.00+ Acronis!

www.paragon-software.com...

After every major step BACK UP your disk to a portable hard disk:
I like the Passport Drive from Best Buy at 2 terabytes is only $108

www.bestbuy.ca... .aspx

You can restore REALLY FAST less than 20 minutes in some cases!

So setup your new computer using Drive Image
and divide it up into four partitions on a
two terabyte disk drive:

C: = BOOT_DISK partition
Set it at no more than
100 Gigabytes in size

D: = DOCUMENTS Partition
Set it to about 400 Gigabytes in size
which store ONLY text files, PDFs, word processing
spreadsheets, and other small-sized files
and your email/web-browser bookmarks
and any other smaller personal files
that are NOT photos or VIDEOS!

Make a Root Folder on D: and call it
"Documents" which is where everything
of your smaller stuff goes in THAT
folder so you can just do a simple
drag and drop of your "Documents"
folder into a USB3 Passport backup
drive for extra safekeeping.

S: = SWAP_FILE partition
Make this 40 Gigabytes in size
and set a LARGE PERMANENT
Swap file of 35 GIGABYTES
This allows you to have LOTS
of Virtual Memory because
once you start having 40 to 60
web browser windows, Coreldraw,
MS word, spreadheets,. Delphi,
and ten other 3D apps in memory
you start running out of REAL RAM
memory and Windows needs room
to SWAP out to disk using Virtual Memory.

M: = MEDIA_FILES partitions
Make this 1500 Gigabytes in size (1.5 terabytes)
which holds ALL your Photos and Videos
Create a ROOT folder called "Media_Files"
and five sub-folders.
. - Drive M:
. - Media_Files:
. - Still_Photos
. - Videos
. - Music
. - Downloads
. - Other.

Under each subfolder put in other subfolders
organized by personal name or by subject matter

and once you have told Drive Image to create the
four partitions and the sub-folders using the NAMES
specified above in EACH partition, NOW you can
install windows into the Root of C: drive.

During some setups (i've got Windows Enterprise versions!)
you can set and change the destination folders
for Windows Media/Music/Documents to the
appropriate folder and drive partition destinations.

Once windows is done installing. STOP THERE !!!!!
and BACK IT ALL UP using a FULL DRIVE IMAGE
of all four partitions to your external USB3
Passport backup drive!

After you have done backing up, ANY mistakes you make
afterwards can be fixed by going back and restoring
that full drive image!

Now find all PROPER and LATEST drivers for your
motherboard chipsets, graphics, sound cards,
network cards, mouse, keyboard, webcam, etc.
and install them singly ONE-by-ONE and REBOOTING
the computer after EACH driver installs so it can
properly activate and set itself up!
REMEMBER! Do ONE driver update install
at a time and reboot and do the next
driver install. It save you big headaches later on!

And ONCE you feel your updates are all done,
DO A SECOND Full Drive Image Backup
(DO NOT DELETE/ERASE the FIRST Backup
from the passport drive!) and keep that as
master clean OS install --- It will have NO OTHER
software other than Windows itself and all
windows OS updates and driver updates.

After that SECOND BACKUP, ONLY THEN
do you install your 3rd party apps such
as Photoshop, Premiere, AVID, Soundforge,
Protools, Indesign, Coreldraw, Maya, Alias,
AutoCAD, CATIA, etc, And once you have done
so I REALLY NEED you to do a THIRD full image backup
so you can go back to a CLEAN version of the apps
BEFORE they get clogged up with your files if
there is ever a hardware breakdown or you get a virus.

AND FINALLY I backup my documents folder
EVERY DAY at Midnight and my Videos/Photos/Music
once a week on Sunday! I use Windows Backup
but there are otehr available. And since I have TWO
2-terabyte passport drives, I can rotate my drives
out every week or every month so I ALWAYS have
at least TWO safety backups JUST IN CASE.
One External USB3 Passport Drive is stored in
a safety deposit box at the bank and the other
is stored in a Fireproof Safe at home!

Once a YEAR I do a large backup of CRITICAL files
to BluRay discs which I store in a secure storage
facility offsite (i.e. NOT at Home or Work or Bank!)
This means ALL my precious memories are kept safe
from HARD DISK FAILURE, VIRUSES and other disasters!

I HOPE THESE TIPS HELP!

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Give me linux any day, it just works!

It sure does now, and it is my primary OS. Like you I think XP was a most solid MS OS, and I still have it on my dual boot machines. I have one dual boot with 7 on it, it is not bad either, but I won't be installing 10 on any machine, ever.
I don't think anything could ever be as bad as the days when I had to hack system.ini and config.sys on countless Win 3.1 machines to get them running, and I blame MS for having no hair nowadays, pulled it all out in frustration!

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I think that you had some hardware issues, coupled with a run of bad luck. IMHO.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   

And then, I decided to download the Windows 10 upgrade via Windows Update.

There's your problem

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: GaryN

I don't think anything could ever be as bad as the days when I had to hack system.ini and config.sys on countless Win 3.1 machines to get them running, and I blame MS for having no hair nowadays, pulled it all out in frustration!

LOL

It was just a week or two ago when I asked in a thread "Who remembers messing with config.sys and autoexec.bat" just to get the sound to work in a game, and then when you put in another game you had to change it all again!
Some crazy part of me misses those days, but then I do still have my hair

At the moment I dual boot with Mint and Win7, for xp I fire up VirtualBox.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Sorry to hear you've had so many problems.

My old laptop from 2009 started with Vista, went to W7, up to W8, back to W7, and now at W10.

Dell Inspirons are solid.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost
I would recommend a CLEAN INSTALL for anyone thinking of upgrading to Windows 10. Myself and many others I have read about have encountered problems after choosing the "upgrade" option.

BEFORE doing a clean install, ensure you back up all your data to an external hard drive. (Include recording down your Windows key you are currently using.) That way you are covered if something does goes wrong.

Be sure to adjust the privacy settings — DON'T click "express settings" but rather choose to configure them, it only takes 5 extra minutes to do.

This is the truth.

I have noticed on 8 of the 9 machines I have upgraded to Win 10, they have all basically had Windows corrupt itself and things slowly start disappearing.

A fresh install from a bootable USB is freakin awesome, and now I do this IMMEDIATELY after upgrading anyones PC, and tell everyone else to do the same.

Copy your files, copy down your Win 7-8 key, do the upgrade, copy the Win 10 key, DELETE, and reinstall.

All in all a fairly fast process, and a clean install of Win 10 is amazingly nice, prepare to be surprised by that, I was.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ArnoldNonymous

Not really, I just had one die on me yesterday after only swapping a hard drive.

Now no power at all, and recently a few of the keys on the left side of the board wouldn't work.

On a less than 2 year old machine.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join