It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bernie Sanders Calls for All Guns Not Used Specifically for Hunting to be Outlawed!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Another reason to vote for Trump.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
So......# Bernie........

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: GodEmperor

I personally don't hunt, I am the cook. My whole family does. But, we have big game and I never saw anyone hunt with a hand gun. Was not aware.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: GodEmperor

I personally don't hunt, I am the cook. My whole family does. But, we have big game and I never saw anyone hunt with a hand gun. Was not aware.

In my book, the cook is more important than the hunter, especially today. If the hunter doen'the bring home meat, he can always go to the grocery store, but the cook makes it good to eat!

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

I'm sure your state clearly outlines pistols as being allowed for hunting. My state does, .40 caliber or higher.
edit on 28-2-2016 by GodEmperor because: edit

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   

a reply to: butcherguy

I suppose hand guns would be ok if you are up close. But in the real world of hunting, that is rare.

You clearly don't hunt then,I've never had to shoot beyond even 50 yards when hunting with a rifle or handgun.
90% of the time deer are 100-150 feet a way maximum in the areas I hunt,usually much closer.
I do long range shooting with my hunting handguns,they have 6 inch or longer barrels and I have no problem shooting them accurately out to 200 yards,I haven't tried any further than that but I doubt I'll ever need to,I have decades of long range hand shooting experience I've been shooting long range with handguns since I was 18.
edit on 28-2-2016 by VashTheStampede because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-2-2016 by VashTheStampede because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: VashTheStampede

Perhaps we hunt in a different terrain. We hunt in mountainous terrain. No, I don't hunt, I just like to go camping and do the cooking.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Bernie Sanders Calls for All Guns Not Used Specifically for Hunting to be Outlawed!

Good that means I can keep my ARs for hunting hogs.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: infolurker

Anyone who didn't know this was cooking up in his brainpan was smoking their own special blend of denial anyhow.

People like to dream.... the Bernie crowd at work keeps saying that Bernie is Pro2A. This will cause some hurt in the buttocks region.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear
Or hunting ANYTHING with a handgun?

How are you with snakes?

But yes, I have in fact gone hunting with a handgun. Have killed deer with one. Definitely beaver.

While you may be thinking snub-nose .38, try something more TC Contender.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   

a reply to: VashTheStampede

Perhaps we hunt in a different terrain. We hunt in mountainous terrain. No, I don't hunt, I just like to go camping and do the cooking.

In the South, you often hunt canebreaks, swamps, and thickets. Depending on location, maybe laurel hells or kudzu.

That's one reason you have different sorts of rifles, and may in fact use a sidearm. If the average shot you can make is maybe 20 yards, you can get that shot off a lot faster with a sidearm, especially if you're jumping the deer.

I do a lot of swamp hunting with a .444 Marlin, which is really good out to about 75 yards, but it's short and light and easy to swing, plus the round goes through vines and leafy clutter without a lot of deflection. In a bean field, it's more 7mag territory.

But in clutter, it's often as easy to use a sidearm. Sometimes you hunt by jumping, where you just walk through likely bedding area. The deer will lie hidden until you get too close for comfort, then bolt from about 10 yards away. If you have to swing a big rifle and get a sight picture, the deer will be long gone.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

In the mountains out here, you have to remember you gotta haul it out. Maybe your shot was 300yrd the way the crow flies.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
The saddest part of this is thanks to spin, like the thread title, people are ignoring what he said in favor of what they think he means.

"Guns used for killing people, exclusively..."

Y'know, like a belt fed machine gun? Something that's fully automatic? I can't lay claim to having hunted animals all that much, but I don't recall ever thinking "God I wish I could shoot this deer 31 times in less than three seconds. That would make this way better."

Now, one could reasonably argue he (sanders) might include any assault type rifle in his statement, but I think that's up to him to clarify and not others to ASSUME, isn't it?

Nah. Way more fun to tweak his statement juuuuust a little bit and then scream about it.

Quoted for truth.
My immediate reaction on looking at the title was surprise, and after reading what he actually said my reaction changed to "Oh, they're just spinning it that way."

A lot of folks seem to think they know what Bernie "really wants". (Some sort of Communist authoritarian regime or something. I dunno. They're pretty crazy.)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Step outside of your own bubble. It's actually very common down here in the swamp. You can bring a handgun to bear much quicker than you can a longarm. That is especially important if you happen to blunder too near to an angry 14 foot alligator mother and her nest.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I have always thought it was funny, that processed food and fast food kills far more people than guns, yet there is no huge outcry to outlaw it. Think about it, CHEESEBURGERS kill more people than guns, yet you rarely hear this get brought up.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   
This Bill Maher skit is still super relevant.

Of course, it's not just "Republicans".

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   
This is news? How is this any different from what he's said in the past?

Here's what he said last July;

Nobody should have a gun who has a criminal background, who's involved in domestic abuse situations. People should not have guns who are going to hurt other people, who are unstable.

I believe that we need to make certain kinds of guns used to kill people exclusively, not for hunting should not be allowed for sale in the United States of America. We have huge loopholes at gun shows that should be eliminated.

Source

This isn't a huge mystery. This has always been his stance.

Here's a nice article from last October;

Let’s look at his arguments.

1. Gun laws are overrated. On guns, he’s a policy skeptic. After Newtown, he cautioned: “If you passed the strongest gun control legislation tomorrow, I don’t think it will have a profound effect on the tragedies we have seen.”

2. Don’t be a bigot. Sanders represents a state with lots of hunting and little crime. He sees gun owners as a law-abiding cultural minority despised by liberal elites. He talks about hunters the way other lefties might talk about Muslims, saying gun ownership shouldn’t be “stereotyped” or “stigmatized.” He preaches against “cultural warfare” and “demagoguing against folks just because they go out and hunt and they own guns.

3. Draw the line at hunting. For the most part, Sanders’ allegiance to hunters determines which gun laws he favors and which he opposes. Critics say his support for banning assault weapons in 2013 was a shift from his previous position. That’s not true. He has repeatedly voted to ban such weapons, along with high-capacity magazines. In interviews, Sanders consistently distinguishes between “hunting” weapons, which should be legal, and “military-type weapons,” which shouldn’t. When he thinks the rights of hunters are unfairly threatened—for example, by laws against firearm possession in national parks—he votes for the hunters, not for the gun restrictions.

4. Leave it to the states. Sanders believes that guns are used differently in different parts of the country—for street violence in cities, for sport in rural states—and therefore, “decisions about gun control should be made as close to home as possible.” That was his stated rationale for voting against the Brady Bill. On the same grounds, he voted against a Republican congressional amendment that would have repealed waiting periods imposed by states. In 2009 and 2013, Sanders also voted against federal legislation that would have extended the scope of concealed-weapons permits to states that hadn’t approved such permits.

5. No loopholes. He voted against gun-show loopholes in 1999 and again during the Manchin–Toomey debate in 2013, after Newtown. He also advocates a crackdown on “straw man” purchases, which circumvent background checks. Like the NRA, Sanders says the most effective gun laws are those that target who can buy a gun, not what kind of gun can be bought. Unlike the NRA, he thinks these laws should apply to all sales.

6. Compromise. The United States is a big, diverse country. If you want to pass any federal laws. says Sanders, you’ll have to respect gun owners. On that account, he brushes aside the idea of rounding up everybody’s firearms.

I'm frankly shocked that anyone who claims to be a die-hard supporter of the 2nd amendment didn't do their research on Sanders before today. Quit acting so surprised. The guy has had the same views since the 1970's. I'll be very impressed if you find any policy he's changed his mind on in the last 30 years.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Eilasvaleleyn

That was hilarious and I dislike bill maher and Bernie sanders!

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: links234

Compromise. The United States is a big, diverse country. If you want to pass any federal laws. says Sanders, you’ll have to respect gun owners. On that account, he brushes aside the idea of rounding up everybody’s firearms.

You can't compromise when it comes to a right.

What would be your idea of compromise with the first amendment?

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   
You guys do know that the rats in Washington DC are actually controlling the government. They want people disarmed so they can steal our food without worrying about us being able to kill them. Soon rat poison and rat traps will be outlawed also.

All the wild game animals are in agreement with disarming humans. Soon they will take away our fishing poles. All food will have to come through FDA controlled suppliers and the FDA is capable of shutting down our food to an area quickly. The animals will rule the world shortly.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join