It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's a toilet not a restroom, get over yourselves! ...and other annoying Americanisms

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Well I suppose I use a "Canadianism" . I call it the "washroom". Undoubtedly because I'm habitual about washing my hands whether at home, or especially in a public one. As for the ladies room being cleaner... HELL TO THE NO!
It's disgustingly shocking to use a public washroom and ladies (term used loosely) seem to forget there is a flush handle.
Funniest thing ever was a first encounter for me with an automatic flush toilet. For those not familiar, it flushes immediately when you get up off the seat. Almost literally scared the crap out of me...

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Yeah, people on American tv always use the word "bathroom" instead of just saying toilet... which I've always found kind of odd.

But then again, at the same time, poms always seem to regularly use the word "lavatory", which I personally find even more odd... tbh.

link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Behave yourself Charlie, I'm taking the piss more than anything and chuckling to myself.
...and no, I don't accept that asshat is 'someone with their head in their ass' I've been called it on ATS before now and the person for sure meant asshole just was too # scared for whatever reason to use the word.

...and whining, lol, you do your fair share of that here fella, it amuses me regularly.
edit on 28.2.2016 by grainofsand because: typo

link   

A bigger concern you should be raising is, why is it still acceptable in the 21st century to wipe our asses with paper.

If you get your hands dirty, do you wipe them with paper ?
If your body gets sweaty and filthy do you wipe it with paper ?

Even if you get poop on your hands you don't wipe them with paper do you ?

Yet when you get crap on your ass.... wipe it with paper, then wash your hands and dry them with paper too if you're in a public toilet that doesn't have a fancy air blower

Would be nice if someone finally designed a toilet for use in all public toilets that washes your ass after pooping and drys it too, to do away with wasting paper and make everything more hygienic as you still have to turn off the tap that you turned on with your poopy hands and open the door to reach the tap and flush the toilet, that countless other poppy hands have touched, some likely less hygienic than others.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   

You're always telling people to stop whining.

Seemed only right.

And an asshat is what I said.

An asshole is something different.

The clues in the phrase.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

Use the 3 clam shells. . . .

link   

originally posted by: Discotech
Would be nice if someone finally designed a toilet for use in all public toilets that washes your ass after pooping and drys it too...

The Japanese did this some time ago.

link   

You expect Bidets in public restrooms (hehe)...

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: AccessDenied

Washroom is more acceptable in my mind for sure, if only because most of us (I hope) wash our hands after using the facility.
Still never had a rest or a bath in a public toilet though, maybe there are comfy sofa's and baths in US public toilets?

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

Water fountains for short people. . . . ?

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

No I'm always telling the Scottish members on ATS to stop whining, and I usually use the term whinging for them.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Behave yourself Charlie, I'm taking the piss more than anything and chuckling to myself.
...and no, I don't accept that asshat is 'someone with their head in their ass' I've been called it on ATS before now and the person for sure meant asshole just was too # scared for whatever reason to use the word.

...and whining, lol, you do your fair share of that here fella, it amuses me regularly.

Aw, I feel so honored. You're having a cow over American slang because of me.

No, I didn't infer that you were being an asshole (otherwise I'd have said as much) Charlie's definition is accurate. Considering the poster you were deriding, your head was most definitely up your arse/bum/whatever frilly word you tea-drinkers use that we don't.
edit on 2/28/2016 by Nyiah because: Check that ish out, unintentional bad American grammar for more aneurysms

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

They prefer the term circus folk.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Well I'm half Scottish, so I was batting for the team.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Oh don't feel so honoured, my inspiration was not from our interaction.
My head wasn't 'up my arse' when we crossed swords, I was ridiculing another posters comments.
...asshat lol, like an insult from a child.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Well I'm half Scottish, so I was batting for the team.

You have my sympathy

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Well, I am English and at work one of my staff said he was going to "use the bathroom" and I knew the end of the world was nigh.

In my time, toilets have been known as "the bog", "the loo", "the WC", "the crapper" and "the piss palace".

Here's something amusing.

English slang for the toilet

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Nope I'm practical so understand having toilet + bidet would be unrealistic due to space constraints. I do however expect a bidet/toilet hybrid which performs both functions in one unit. I mean really if given the choice who would prefer wiping their ass over getting it cleaned autonomously ?

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: Nyiah

Oh don't feel so honoured, my inspiration was not from our interaction.
My head wasn't 'up my arse' when we crossed swords, I was ridiculing another posters comments.

For a completely appropriate comment to another poster. Like I said, up your bum.

...asshat lol, like an insult from a child.

No less childish sounding than "wanker" is.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Well, I am English and at work one of my staff said he was going to "use the bathroom" and I knew the end of the world was nigh.

Lol, it went downhill when Brits started going to the movies instead of films, and blind people became visually challenged.
Bathroom for toilet was the death stab though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join