It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mech-Robots being built, taking orders

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
i heard of this guy before, in a magazine or somepthing (sory i dont have the sorce) not sure where
Anyway, if you have herd of that new robotic asistance thing, strap to your legs to help you walk, or make you move faster or whatever, the one made in japan, then you would know it uses sensors on your legs to predict your mucle movement through your nervous system ( im sure there are some threds on this, just cant find them)

if you put two and two together.............

posted on Apr, 19 2005 @ 03:30 AM
link   
This is the link for the military version. Exoskeleton. I know what you are talking about they have actually already built a prototype (a disabled woman walked in it, supported entirely by the exoskeleton legs but they need to make it run seemlessly (as though it were them walking

Here is one Asahi

Another Military design from Berkley - BLEEX (there is video)

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
asahi is what i was talking about here. it reads the tiny electric pulses in your legs, to tell what your nerves tell your mucles to do, then translates it into robotic movment. these things are going to go out on the market relitivley soon ( i think ) and since this guys put so much money into this alredy, he may as well try to integrate it into the robot. hellofalot easyr to controll that way.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I can't really see the images and the website is not showing anything???
I'm interestedd in robotics and biomechanics if you could send me the site or images or something that would help for me to get in contact with the makers of the mech would be greatly appreciated.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a fully developed and working machine like this can easily replace an anetire logging team at a fraction of the cost. it could also make clearing up natural disaster areas an easier task. imagine if we had a fleet of the things after 9/11 (forgive me if it brings bad memories), alot of that rubble may have been able to be cleared sooner than we did, although i must say we did a damn good and fast job considering.

Even construction could benefit from an efficient design. i read through the posts, but the original url's no longer are active. please update if anyone can.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Hey guys I saw the pics of the mech posted on here. If you go to youtube and type mech you can find this mech moving its arms and stuff. Its not a real mech....its the same kinda thing they have at monster truck shows that's all....BUT you CAN find a real mech in progress on youtube under the name of Sakakibara Kikai. I is a Japanese company that has developed a crappy but real mech. Also John Deer has a pretty sweet looking 6 legged mech that they use for cutting trees....go to youtube and type timberjack. Finally something else pretty interesting, type spider mech on youtube and you'll find this different and interesting mech built by some rednecks for 15k. It is pretty nice actually.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Although this is somewhat of a joke, there are serious projects patterned after the Terminator movies.

The US has quietly put a collection of satellites in orbit called? SkyNet. All drones will be controlled through skynet, including the predators the access denial systems and the unmanned heavy armor units. The next airial versions are heavy fighter bomber drones called? HKs short for Hunter/Killer. There is no real need for the terminator style ground bots.. just yet. Skynet will be able to move entire armies around the globe at will with no resistance. Army after army will roll off the assembly lines. The HKs already are armed with several mid sized air to air rockets and a large bomb capacity. They have plans to install laser cannons as well as microwave blasters since there are no human operators for the microwaves to affect.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reading these post made me giggle somewat, building a mech is not that hard if you got the knowledge about balance n engineering , 2 gyros one for forward/back movement and the other for side to side to control how stable when stable or walking. then a small shifting weight that moves side to side to counteract the motion when walking this simulates the same process that humans do with the fluid in the ear. the hard part is combining all systems.

as for costs most of the money is spent on the powerplants to gain movement but realistically you could do it so cheap providing you have the right game plans, infact most of the parts needed you could blag for free.

Myself i am in the design stage to see if its possible to create a fully functioning Mech, but the dynamics are great but ill get there one day

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Just a few comments. First, my inclination on this one is that he might get something walking if he's for real, but I doubt he'll build anything functional. It's not impossible, though; the thing is, to make something like this work you DO need a bit more technical knowledge. The greatest boon is the availability of all kinds of cheap computing. Working humanoid robot takes a lot of processing power, as does maintaining balance. With force feedback in the controls (the limbs you would strap to your limbs inside the cockpit) and a robot with roughly the same dimensions and range of motion as a human, it wouldn't be impossible to learn to balance the same way you balance your body - by feel, by instinct. It'd probably be about the same difficulty as learning to walk again, and it'd take very smooth power to the limbs to accomplish (not some herky jerky system) but it'd be workable. And not for millions, either, though I'd guess more than 60k for something this size and a first run prototype.

And a better constructed one very well could have military applications. Not this junker, no. But the human form has a lot of advantages - there's a reason we're humans and not turtles. Our form can cope with rougher terrain than a tracked vehicle, it can climb much greater slopes, it can switch armaments on the fly, it can use its dextrous hands to do an infinite number of tasks, there's just a load of advantages. The primary disadvantage is armor - you can't load as much weight on a standing form as one on tracks. But then, a fluid mech could easily keep moving in random directions just like a soldier to avoid fire - firing solutions in tanks rely on the thing continuing to move in whatever direction it is going, and without that they have very little range. Still arming against things like machine guns and antimaterial rifles probably wouldn't be a problem considering the new armors we have coming around today, and as for missiles and artillery there are now weapons which can reliably shoot those down, every time. The israelis have a particularly small one, fires a missile which tracks the incoming projectile, explodes beside it, and sends it off course in pieces. It fits on top of a hummer. Perfect for that kind of thing.

Perhaps the best part would be the potential for energy efficiency once we get our supercapacitor tech working properly. Human movement is balanced - we mostly fall forward, letting gravity take us, with little energy needed. With regenerative breaking technology, aided by the use of fast charging supercaps, you could recapture most of the energy required to move the thing in the first place.

And then if synthetic muscle fiber tech comes to age anytime soon, it's all over. We can already make fibers that react to electrcial stimulus by contracting, just like our own muscles. Right now they're a bit slow on reaction time, and have trouble transmitting the charge. In ten years? Fifteen? Maybe faster and more energy efficient than our own natural muscles, and about the perfect thing for this application. That could lead to truly fluid and quick vertical tanks. War machines that are thin and fast moving, hard to hit and easy dodging, capable of carring tank sized weaponry and continuing the carnage with their bare hands and feet well after they expend their ammunition. A tank that reacts and fights with the speed and instinct of a man.

And while you're at it hook a couple of heavy-framed motorbikes up to the feet. Heh

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
If one starts to build mecha machines. Then another person will, and another, and so on, and it will eventually be mass produced. Give or take 50 years down the road.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Shrukin89

Not really. They're not a good idea for most tasks, fighting especially. More likely, if someone builds them, unless their performance is spectacular, everyone else will deem the idea infeasible expensive to copy, for the benefits it would bring, and proceed to not produce them.

Nobody copied the tsar tank, or the akron and makron, or the G-11, or the ekranoplans, or the A-40 winged tank, or the submersible aircraft carrier, or the Ontos tank destroyer, or gas turbine or stirling engine powered cars, or electrostatic ion lifter aircraft, or the S-tank. All these ideas are much cheaper to implement than walking vehicles, and offer their own advantages. None proved useful enough to become typical, and though they attracted varying degrees of international attention, none were ever copied.

I think it's quite likely that walking vehicles that are driven, not worn, will never have a substantial market.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 04:09 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
That site's a spoof. Sorry to burst your bubble. No personal army of robots for you!

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowtrooper90

i happen to know that it is real. and it never was intended for battle.
and if you think it has too many problems, you'd be right. just look at the wright brothers first airplane. or howard hughes's spruse goose. those were crap too. and alot of people like you said there would be no practtical use for them. did you ever think that there is no use for this thing because there is none to use? i do think it is too fantasy looking and flashy. but hey you gotta start somewhere. i think smaller computerised versions would be practical. this one is just a starting point. look at the rayethon/sarcos mech contracted by darpa.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klepto
Never mind that daydreamer... check out this badboy! complete with video of mech walking and weapon test.

LandWalker

B0\/\/ B3F0R3 /\/\3!

Hey!!! Check it out it's ED-209 off Robocop. Somebody really like that show they went out and built their own. hehe

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Lo and behold, it looks like I've returned to smash peoples dreams on another robotics topic.

Sorry if anything I say here depresses anyone.

First, I'll talk about this guy selling "mechs".
While he's welded together a rather neat looking piece of art, that's about as far as he's going to get with it. (But as art it might still fetch the price he's asking... I've seen weirder artworks go for allot more).

For one, he hasn't worked on balance, weight distribution, interface... the list is endless. I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm saying he hasn't done the necessary work. He started with the frame and body kit, skipping just about everything else that matters.
(Not to mention it's decaying faster than he can build it out there, lol.)

However, to stroke his ego, he seems to be a fine welder. If I were doing a "mech" project (which I likely wouldn't, there's enough of a headache in tracked and wheeled robots, let alone bipedal ones), if I were I'd look for someone like him for the structural assembly.

He's got welding talent alright, and an open mind... but he seems lost on the actual 'functionality" department. If he were working on a team, he wouldn't have to worry about everything else, he could be perfectly happy just welding away.

Second topic, someone also posted the "land walker". Imagine how depressed I was when I watched the video of it years ago. It's not actually a bipedal system.

Here's how that land walker works.
Under both feet you will find wheels... or rather, as he put it, big bearings on suspension.
It's not lifting the foot off the ground, it's alleviating pressure off the wheels enough that it can roll on them. It then rolls that foot forward, and re-plants pressure on it, the wheels are pushed back under the foot via compressing the suspension.

The foot never leaves the ground.

Think of it like a child learning to roller skate. They never pick their feet up, they try to shimmy along instead. (The analogy works best if you are old enough to remember those Playschool one way roller skates.)

Another way of thinking of it would be to take two cars, and stick a robot looking carnival float on top of them. Drive one car forward, stop. Drive the other car forward, stop. Keep repeating. It'll look like the robot float is semi walking. Where in fact, it's just two cars taking turns driving forward.

But... as I mentioned about the previous guys "mech", it's still really interesting to look at, and could be considered high priced art.

Bi-pedal robotic systems are still just in the realm of small toys, and human sized robots.

Is it impossible to build a mech? Absolutely NOT!

But these two approaches, while imaginative, are (for one of them) not capable of balancing or walking at all, and (for the other) simply not an actual walking robot.

I've tried to simplify this post as much as I can. So if something I said doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try to explain it again.

Now for the not so depressing part!
I figured after all that depressing talk, I might remind you of walking machines that actually do work.

Introducing the TIMBERJACK!
A 6 legged walking machine designed to perform logging operations without the need to clear-cut roads to the tree removal site!
Comes complete with an arm and gripper.

We all know it and love it...
the BIG DOG!
Kick it, abuse it, load it down with 250lbs of cargo, and kick it some more! It just keeps standing and waiting for another beating!

Now these guys were just playing WAY too much Halflife 2.
Strider.

You've already seen it, but here it is again.
Honda's ASIMO.

There are literally hundreds of walking robot projects that do work... so don't get depressed.

But I think it will be a at least another decade before you can strap yourself into a large exoskeleton and post a youtube video of your favorite one liner "get away from her you ..."

Don't worry though, it's coming.

posted on Nov, 3 2021 @ 06:08 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 3 2021 @ 08:35 AM
link   
ok start building EMP guns!
and a wifi hack kill gun!

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 01:03 AM
link   
SPAM
edit on 1/19/2022 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join