It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there any point to arguing online?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 02:59 AM
link   
It can be difficult to convey emotion in words sometimes.
for example...
You're a dork.
Am I teasing you and being cute, or am I irritated and think you're a idiot?
sure using little emojis can help, BUT without a tone of voice and facial expressions and other body language to help a person interpret the conveyed message there is plenty of room for error.
I have seen numerous times in threads, 2 or more individuals arguing with each other about something, and they are both saying the same thing, both have the same opinion/point/belief just using different words, yet this argument will go on for pages at a time.

Religion and politics are the only 2 topics that my family will avoid at all costs while I'm around. My family is very strict Roman Catholic, I was raised that way. I am not Roman Catholic, I chose to leave the church and follow my own path, so to speak. Even if I bring up indisputable PROOF of something against what the bible teaches, I am wrong, it is wrong, ect.
That's just how it is. Politics is the same way.

So even with little smiley winky faces and colors and fonts, and such, words are just words without substance, unless you are able to add in emotion, which is heard and felt best during a face to face interaction.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Sure there is, but it's mostly not about bettering all the unwashed out there in internet land, casting your pearls before them, etc. I mean if that is what you're hoping to accomplish, then you really should just forget it.

It's mostly about informing yourself and improving your own thought process and most of all, your written communication skills.

Stick to one topic or a pick just a few, and you can become surprisingly well informed on them over time. But then again, it's also good to dabble in lots of areas as an area unto itself, because it helps you stay informed in general, and lots of people are just too narrowly focused. It's a big world so you do also need a broad perspective. These days, the too-narrowly focused are so often tripping over the big picture, broad perspective stuff that they just didn't see till they stepped in it.

And just because other people don't seem to listen much doesn't mean you have to not listen as well. Do pay attention to what others claim in response to your ideas and instead of trying to "win an argument" try instead to "win at life" by looking into their claim for yourself, if it seems surprisingly strong to you. If you think it's a better idea, why not drop your weak idea in favor of the stronger one you found from communicating?

Especially do take notice of what other people are particularly well studied, experienced, etc in. If you like the topic too, you might feel the urge to impress them, but try not to rant at them too much and instead try to keep THEM talking, because they're your chance to cut to the chase in their area of expertise.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:17 AM
link   
People are too quick to make assumptions... They label them, then put them on a Coat Rack.
People don't understand that knowledge and experience comes from the meeting of two forces... giving consideration to the opposite view is vital in creation of an objective, critical point of view.

He who is all knowing, knows nothing.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

We are all just Birds in a Cage

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
I don't like to have arguments at all but I do enjoy debating. There is a difference between the two. However, I've found that the vast majority of people do not distinguish between debate and argument. People frequently call any kind of discussion on a topic an "argument", I believe arguing is negative and pointless so I don't want to be part of that.

You can't debate with people who want to see you lose everything that matters to you. That's not polite discussion I'm gonna have with someone. I can certainly have polite discussions with people about mundane topics where differences of opinion don't matter that much. Things change when you know you're talking to someone who voted to screw you over.

It DOES accomplish something. If nothing else, people cannot sit there and pretend that their votes and their politics don't have an impact on other people. I win the argument every time I make somebody try to shut me up.

edit on 27-2-2016 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   

The problem is that when you are talking about ideology or theory, there aren't really many facts to prove one is or is not better or worse.

You can look at programs modeled after different ideologies or theories and use them as a proxy for your personal ideology or theory, but they are often simply proxies, not perfect stand-ins. So someone who believes in the ideology or theory being debated can either choose to accept an argument based on those proxies or deny it.

As for you example with religious faith ... well, that's a different animal all-together. There simply is no way to ever prove or disprove faith in a concrete, real-world manner, not for us mere humans. So using it is a poor example.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Is this a 5 minute argument or the full half hour?

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   

No. Don't argue. Online or anywhere.

Say your bit. Move on and forward.

edit on 27-2-2016 by childofapoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Pinke

You can use Nihilism to over complicate a lot of things, but people online are still mostly people.

Nihilism? More like hundreds of thousands of past posts and threads and all kinds on this site and others. Its called empirical evidence over years and years.

So ya! It literally does not matter, and is pretty pointless. And you are quite correct people are people, which just ads more to the fact that it all just pointless. I suppose the illusion of the internet makes it seem like it may matter, and it does for a moment or two, but to say that it has some sort of overall meaning or that it will do so and so outside of its paradigm.

Its just silly. Here look at this video and apply it to whatever your talking about. If you feel like this is going anywhere, congratulations that is merely your own personal perspective on things and likely brought upon by something in your life at that and this moment. But wait a few years, and we shall see then. If even that.

Conversations and arguments online I suppose would be classified as moving illusions. Fun in the sun eh?

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join