It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Slips, A Paranormal Photo, Premonitions and Ufology - The Life Of RAF Air Marshall Goddard

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+69 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Due to my interest into the unexplained I was for searching a time slip story I had heard many years ago, involving a pilot. On finding it and researching the person in question, I was surprised to learn the pilot was linked to another paranormal story involving a fascinating photograph that I had seen and heard about many times within the paranormal field.
It turns out, he was also involved in a third unexplained experience where he was on a flight that was predicted to crash, which was actually the inspiration for the 1955 film 'The Night My Number Came Up'
Normally when one person makes claims of multiple paranormal experiences, i'm always a tad skeptical but this does involve a highly respected and decorated former Air Marshall in the royal air force, so it does add some weight in my opinion.

Although there may be threads involving some of these stories, and also him having an involvement in ufology, I feel former Air Marshall Sir Robert Victor Goddard was worthy of his own thread.. So to my ATS brothers and sisters, today I will present the information to you to decide.

(Sir Victor Goddard)

Sir Robert Victor Goddard, KCB, CBE known as Victor Goddard was born in Wembley, London on 6 February 1897 the son of a doctor. After leaving school he joined the Royal Naval colleges at Dartmouth and Osbourne. He served for the Navy in the first world war, joining the Royal Air Force in 1915 and serving the subsequent years of the war with the RAF.
In total he served 41 years between Royal Navy and Royal Air force From 1910 - 1951, finishing his career with the senior rank of Air Marshall.

(Air Marshall - Highest Raking Cap)

(Air Marshall 3rd highest cuff in the RAF)

He was also a writer his works include:-
Panorama (1953)
The Night My Number Came Up (1955)
The Enigma of Menace (1959)
Flight Towards Reality (1975)
Skies to Dunkirk (1982)

During his time in the military his duties included as:-
1916 - Commanded reconnaissance flights over the Somme battlefield.
1921 - Selected to study engineering at Jesus College, Cambridge and then studied at Imperial College London.
1925 - Returned to Cambridge as an instructor to the university's air squadron.
1929 - Graduated from the Royal Naval Staff College.
1929 - Commanded bomber squadron in Iraq.
1931 - Returned to England as chief instructor of the officers' engineering course.
1935 - Appointed deputy director of intelligence at the Air Ministry. (until outbreak of WW2)
1939 - Senior Air Officer for the British Expeditionary Force to France, returning as director of military cooperation at the Air Ministry
1941 - Air Commodore Chief of the Air Staff, Royal New Zealand Air Force (RNZAF) in the South Pacific. (Awarded the American Navy Distinguished Service Medal - during this role)
1943 - Posted to India to take charge of administration for the air command of South East Asia Command (SEAC).
1946 - RAF representative in Washington.
1951 - Retired

(US Navy Distinguished Service Medal)

He was also awarded several honours including:-
1940 - CBE (Commander of the Order of the British Empire)
1943- CB (Companion of the order of Bath)
1947 - KCB (Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath)
1941 - Mentioned in Despatches (name appears in an official report written by a superior officer and sent to the high command, in which is described his or her gallant or meritorious action in the face of the enemy)
1944 - Navy Distinguished Service Medal (United States)
1945 - Mentioned in Despatches. (2nd time)

Later in life he became a principal of the royal college of aeronautics and president of the Airship Association.

The reason I have gone into a fair amount of detail regarding his career is because I wanted to stress this guy was a highly respected and decorated senior military official. Who fought in both world wars and awarded some of the highest honours in his field.
He was described as an intelligent and honest man who, after his retirement went on to study paranormal phenomena and spending 20 years studying psychology.

He died 21 January 1987 (aged 89)

Although the main unexplained encounters will be covered in detail below, I feel these earlier experiences are worthy of a mention.
In August 1911 as a navy cadet aged 11 his mother was concerned the “Agadir (Morocco) Crisis” would be the cause of a world war. Goddard told his mother that war would not start until August 1914, which was exactly the start of the first world war.
Then in August 1914, the night the first world war started, aged 14, he was on the deck of a British Battleship and whilst looking at the clouds in the sky was given a clear presentation of how long the war would start and how it would end.
He wasn't sure how these events happened to him but were something he never forgot.

The Freddy Jackson Photograph
Victor Goddards first brush with the paranormal happened in a photograph taken in 1919 after World War 1 ended. In 1975, Goddard now retired aged 78 published a story about the photo he had kept for many years.
The intriguing picture was a group portrait of approx 200 men and women in Goddard's squadron, which had served in World War I, taken at the HMS Daedalus training facility.
It was an official RAF photograph and nobody could have tampered with either the photograph or its negative at any time, it was placed on the squadron bulletin board so anyone that wanted copies could order them.

The photograph was taken shortly after they returned from Freddie Jacksons Funeral. A mechanic and Airman who was killed 2 days earlier, just before they were due to be disbanded. He walked into an airplane propeller and was killed instantly.
The one problem with the picture was there was one extra face that shouldn't have been there, that of the deceased Freddy Jackson. Not wearing a hat as all the others are and smiling when everyone else looks grim (just returned from a funeral)

(The following quotes are from Victor Goddard)

When the group photograph was put up on the noticeboard so that those who wanted copies could write their names below, those who scanned the photograph identifying friends then saw—or they were prompted then to see—the face of Freddy Jackson, air mechanic, in the topmost row. Capless and smiling, his face being partly hidden by another, his expression seemed to say, “My goodness me—I nearly failed to make it! … They didn’t wait, or leave a place for me, the blighters!”

+16 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Well, there he was, and no mistake, although a little fainter than the rest. Indeed he looked as though he was not altogether there; not really with the group, for he alone was capless, smiling, all the rest were serious and set and wearing service caps. Most had not long returned from Church Parade and marching in a military funeral. For Freddy Jackson had, upon that very spot—the Squadron tarmac—three days before, walked heedlessly into the whirling propeller of an aeroplane. He had been killed stone dead instantly. He, evidently, was still quite unaware of it.

the official photograph, and some two hundred witnesses who knew; also the certainty that there had been no hanky-panky in the dark room; the negative was scrutinized for faking and was found to be untouched

The Time Slip
Victor's second unexplained experience happened in 1935 whilst he was flying an airplane. at the time he was a Wing Commander, Goddard flew a Hawker Hart biplane to Edinburgh, Scotland, from his home base in Andover, England, for a weekend visit.

On the Sunday before his return he decided fly over an abandoned airfield in Drem, near Edinburgh. The Drem airfield, constructed during the first World War, was a complete mess. The tarmac was in disrepair and the four hangers were collapsed. The field was divided into numerous pastures, and cattle grazed on the site. It was now a farm, and unable to be used as airfield.
On the Monday Goddard set out to return to his base. The weather was dark with heavy rain and low clouds. Because of the basic design of this aircraft with an open cockpit, there would have been very little instruments to help guide him, and certainly no navigational aides or cloud flying instruments.
being in an open cockpit rain was beating down on him and obscuring his visions through his flying googles. He decided to try and climb above the clouds, he made it to 8,000 feet looking for a break but there was none.

Suddenly the plane lost control and began spinning, as it headed toward the ground. He struggled to control the aircraft and the spiraling got worse. Worried about crashing into the mountains below he tried to regain control of the small bi plane.
He was rapidly falling and the sky became darker, the clouds started turning a yellowish colour and the rain got heavier, he could see a point of light through the clouds.
The altimeter showed he was only one thousand feet above the ground and still losing altitude rapidly.

He was now flying at 150mph at approx 200 feet when he emerged from the clouds. He started to gain control at approx 40 feet fully clearing the cloud cover and could suddenly see a coastline and girl pushing a baby in a pram. At 20 feet to the ground he began to regain control of the aircraft, only just clearing a stone wall by mere feet.

He could make out the silhouette of Drem airfield ahead so headed toward it, suddenly the weather cleared with bright sunshine and blue skys.
As he approached he could see the tarmac and hangers had been rebuilt overnight, there were 4 planes below, three avro504N trainer biplanes an a monoplane of an unknown type. (The RAF had no monoplanes in 1935)
All planes were painted bright yellow (no planes RAF planes were painted yellow in 1935) and the mechanics were wearing blue overalls (they only wore brown standard issue in 1935)

It only took seconds to fly over the airfield and he was still really low to the ground. None of the mechanics noticed him or even heard his plane.
Suddenly as he cleared the airfield he was engulfed by the storm again. This time forcing his plane to 17,000 feet he was able to clear the clouds and fly back to his base in Andover.
He landed with excitement of being on the ground and alive, he told some fellow airmen of his experience, they looked at him in disbelief. He decided to keep the story to himself from that point as to avoid discharge from the RAF on mental rounds, he decided not to share the story again until 1966 after he had retired from the RAF.
in 1939 four years after the event, the RAF started panting their planes yellow, mechanics wore blue overalls, drem airfield was rebuilt and the RAF introduced a new monoplane called Magister.

(Magister monoplane)

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   
The Premonition
In January 1946 during a cocktail party given in his honour in Shanghai, Victor overheard Captain Gerald Gladestone, commander of H.M.S Black Prince, a royal Navy cruiser discussing a dream he had the previous night involving him. As soon as Gladstone saw Victor his skin turned pale and looked as though he had seen a ghost.
He proceed to explain the dream was vivid and horrifying, in which Goddard was flying a plane with three British civilians, two men and a woman over a rocky shore, possibly in Japan or China. It was the evening and they were flying through a heavy storm. They had just cleared the mountains when the plane crashed. All passengers were killed, including Victor, he said the plane looked like a Dakota.

Later that evening the Air Marshall would learn that the very next day, he would be flying a plane to Tokyo with three civilians. A consul general, A journalist and a Stenographer. 2 men and a woman. The plane allocated would be a Dakota.
Exactly as described by Gladstone in his dream, Goddard was naturally reluctant to take civilian passengers on this trip.
Obviously unable to refuse because of a dream of another he continued with the flight.
They left Shanghai for Tokyo early the next morning. It was a terrible flight through heavy cloud, exactly as in the dream. Goddard was eventually forced to crash-land his plane in the early evening during a snowstorm, with the wings frozen. The plane crashed on the rocky, shingle shore on an island off the coast of Japan.

Luckily everyone survived the crash, this is believed to be because Goddard took heed of the warning and took extra precautions in regards to this flight.
In 1954, Goddard’s experience with Gladstone’s dream was made into a British motion picture, The Night My Number Came Up.

Goddard in ufology
During his time as RAF advisor in Washington, he was convinced that UFOs were a hoax. At the time President Truman had ordered the US Air Force to investigate rumours of unidentified objects in American airspace. Goddard claims that through USAF Chief of Staff Carl A. Spaatz he was instrumental in convincing Trueman to halt the search.
Later in life he would regret the decision changing his stance and believing they were inter dimensional or from some other parallel world to ours.

A speech made by Goddard in 1969 at Caxton hall in London..

That while it may be that some operators of UFO are normally the paraphysical denizens of a planet other than Earth, there is no logical need for this to be so. For, if the materiality of UFO is paraphysical (and consequently normally invisible), UFO could more plausibly be creations of an invisible world coincident with the space of our physical Earth planet than creations in the paraphysical realms of any other physical planet in the solar system. . . . Given that real UFO are paraphysical, capable of reflecting light like ghosts; and given also that (according to many observers) they remain visible as they change position at ultrahigh speeds from one point to another, it follows that those that remain visible in transition do not dematerialize for that swift transition, and therefore, their mass must be of a diaphanous (very diffuse) nature, and their substance relatively etheric . . . . The observed validity of this supports the paraphysical assertion and makes the likelihood of UFO being Earth-created greater than the likelihood of their creation on another planet. . . . The astral world of illusion, which (on psychical evidence) is greatly inhabited by illusion-prone spirits, is well known for its multifarious imaginative activities and exhortations. Seemingly some of its denizens are eager to exemplify principalities and powers. Others pronounce upon morality, spirituality, Deity, etc . All of these astral exponents who invoke human consciousness may be sincere, but many of their theses may be framed to propagate some special phantasm, perhaps of an earlier incarnation, or to indulge an inveterate and continuing technological urge toward materialistic progress , or simply to astonish and disturb the gullible for the devil of it.

Anyway as I said above, i'm just presenting the information.. I do have more info but this thread is getting a bit long, its late here now, ive been in front of this screen for hours and am tired, ill add it tomorow. Please excuse any grammer or spelling mistakes.

Enjoy the read

source
link
link
source
source
source

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I always liked his time slip tale, but did he tell anyone before writing about it in 1966? did he made any record of what he saw in 1935 before 1938?

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
I always liked his time slip tale, but did he tell anyone before writing about it in 1966? did he made any record of what he saw in 1935 before 1938?

apparently he claims he told fellow airmen when he landed, but due to their reaction decided to withold the story from anyone else in fear of being discharged..

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Awesomely put together. Nice work.

There seems to be a lot of heavily researched topics popping up on ATS recently, it's very refreshing to see.

I've heard of Goddard before, and know of some of the information that surrounds him. It's always nice to see someone so respected, intelligent, and highly ranked take something as 'taboo' as Paranormal research as a highly important, serious topic.

Thanks for providing is with all this information, I'll definitely be investigating his career more thoroughly.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Awesome post! I'd never heard of this guy before. He sure sounds like a credible, highly decorated and we'll respected fellow. The speech he gave in 1969 which you quoted is really impressive. He was obviously a very intelligent man and what he said in that speech seems way ahead of his time. Thanks for the great post! Top notch presentation and super interesting subject.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

An interesting thread as it has elements that match aspects of my own, less exciting, experiences.

I must point out that the photograph should be discounted as any kind of evidence. Given that the basis for the photograph was the death of the mechanic, and that a professional photographer was responsible for the picture taking and almost surely the developing of the film, I tend to suspect the image was doctored with an earlier image of the mechanic, and not at all represents his ghost being present.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Great OP and I'll have to come back later to read it properly

That picture up there has stood as one of the best evidence shots in the archives of ghost imagery. It's also the first time I've been able to really look at the 'face' and, boy, it's disappointing. There aren't enough details in the face for anyone to say it's one person or another. It looks more like that pareidolia thing we experience when looking at plug sockets and the grain in plywood.

I wonder if one of the PS/Gimp folk could snip around the ear and face of the gentleman in front and totally isolate the 'ghost' face from the photo? It might help to weigh up the factors or maybe gain a consensus amongst us? I'm happy to mistaken here as I have an idea that 'ghosts' can't be captured on film and, simultaneously, would enjoy seeing an outlier example. Maybe this is it? Let's see.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 06:24 AM
link   
The UFO information is the answer I have been looking for. It all makes perfect sense to me now. But my question is. Is there a UFO dealership on the other side where they're making these things? You'll think after 10,000 years or so they would of made a 4 door sedan or something.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Fascinating fellow. i didn't know the interdimensonal hypothisis was around so long ago. I suspect that the Everett interpretation or many worlds theory will provide answers to many of our unexplained mysteries. If many worlds is correct, and if thin spots/wormholes exist naturally and or can be manipulated/created artificially, then suddenly we would need to re examine our interpretations of everything from folklore to miraculous religious phenomena, to intangible glimpses of ghosts/spirits and cryptozoological sightings, voices, unexplained strange sounds, out of place artifacts, some of our more interesting missing persons cases and mass disappearances, maybe some animal mutilations, to some UFOs and claimed encounters of all manor of humanoid "aliens".

Perhaps some or all these different things that we call paranormal if real, while rare enough to be virtually untestable, add up to some kind of evidence for the many worlds theory's validity.

Edit to add. I just want to say thanks for a great thread, this is exactly the kind of well researched, thought provoking content that got me hooked on ATS in the first place.

edit on 27-2-2016 by LordSnow21 because: mysterious reasons

edit on 27-2-2016 by LordSnow21 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-2-2016 by LordSnow21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Interesting topic indeed

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Well done thread. Caught my interest..

I really love the speech he gave. Using "paraphysical" to describe, what he gave credence to, an astral world as the explanation for UFOs was well spoken. I would love to know all the examples he was referring to that cemented the view.

I ingest his way of thinking more than others.

Interesting life he led fore sure.

B

Editting to add that while reading the links in your post, Goddard wrote four years later about Gladstone's dream at the party yet Gladstone claims to remember nothing of the sort. . that opens a debatable fork in the road

edit on 27-2-2016 by Bspiracy because: Because I wanted to!

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
I wonder if one of the PS/Gimp folk could snip around the ear and face of the gentleman in front and totally isolate the 'ghost' face from the photo? It might help to weigh up the factors or maybe gain a consensus amongst us?

The best I could do on borrowed time...

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Great thread...and a very interesting fellow......but how exactly did he manage to join the armed forces at the age of 12/13 ?
edit on 27/2/2016 by Argyll because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   
No comment, except to say it's threads like this that have kept me coming back for more here at ATS.

Fascinating, well done!

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   

He was described as an intelligent and honest man who, after his retirement went on to study paranormal phenomena and spending 20 years studying psychology.

The exact ingredients needed to fool the public...

Although I would love to believe all of this, someone in his position could have somehow gotten some type of evidence of al of this. What I see at the end of the day, are intriguing stories, in book form. I am guessing that he made quite a bit of money from those books? I have also heard stories about an elitist plan to fool us into believing in UFO's in order to stage an event in the future, that will fool everyone into accepting the NWO. You know, the "threat from outside this world" that Reagan spoke of, and was leaked about by Wernher Von Braun?

How do we know that this guy is not just another "psychologist" leading the minds of the public to that end? With enough money, and the fact that he spent his whole life in the service and became a respected officer (3rd from the top), this is the type of person they would need to gain credibility for a topic that is "incredible".

I mean, we don't know the guy personally. We only have the stories about him to build a character profile of whom he was.

I personally think that the billions and billions of dollars missing from our budget, that has magically disappeared, is being used to create the coolest, yet most technologically terrifying black project aerial vehicles known to man. The fact that the F-117A Stealth Fighter, the Stealth Bomber and the SR-21 were the last real cool advancements that were release to the public in the 80's.....what have they been doing with the billions yearly since then?...Because they don't show us jack now.

Yes we have the F22 Raptor and a couple of things like that....but the others look "alien" even by today's standards, and our government created them. What have they been hiding from us since then...and what are they going to do with it when that technology is finally rolled out to the public?

So, how do we know that this guy is not someone who was paid by the government to bring about this NWO ruse to trick everyone into believing in an outside attack from aliens, because that's what it would take for us to accept the NWO? Many of the Freemasons and other elitists are loyal to death with those secrets and believe that they are for the greater good...despite the lies and deception in creating these ruses.

In the video below, is the final event that Von Braun said would happen shortly after terrorism (now), and then a threat of asteroids impacting the earth (more and more happening lately)....and lastly an "alien threat from outside this world".

Wonder what will happen next?

- if it crashes, watch in Edge (Internet Eplorer), Chrome has been crashing every video I watch lately. (may just be my browser)
edit on 27-2-2016 by IlluminatiTechnician because: Grammar

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Awesome post! Your detail is amazing!

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wingz

originally posted by: Kandinsky
I wonder if one of the PS/Gimp folk could snip around the ear and face of the gentleman in front and totally isolate the 'ghost' face from the photo? It might help to weigh up the factors or maybe gain a consensus amongst us?

The best I could do on borrowed time...

Well, There is contour, so someone's physically there. I am ust wondering how a shadow can show up on his lips, if it's not a physical object. The ethereal realm would not be subject to our laws of physics, I wouldn't assume. Hence, the light should pass right through him and in reality...we should not be able to see a ghost in the daylight.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Very good thread and thanks for posting. I have read of this before in different places and he's one of the UK's most interesting air heroes. His interest in UFOs doesn't surprise me and seeing is believing as this has happened to me. Please post any additional info if you happen to come across any. My best,

top topics

<<   2 >>

join