It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm a realist and sadly here is why men and women will never be equal.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Debunkology

why?? the pay gap is there because they see men as the more valuable employee....
both the male and the female employee, it is safe to assume either is married or will be married.
it can also be assumed that eventually, more than likely, they will become parents..
now, if we are talking about the female employee, her first responsibility, expected by society, and maybe even her family or herself, will be to that family. along with the responsibilities that come with any job she applies to, she will also have the bulk of the responsibility as far as childcare, housework, cooking, grocery shopping, laundry, and on and on... the employer can assume that he will never get 100% our of her, because of those other responsibilities that society says is hers to bare.

but the man, hey, his sole responsibility to the family, is to earn money, to go to work every day and come home, he has a family to support and he knows it. his dear wife will be expected to see to it that he is well fed, that he has clean neat clothing every day, heck, she might even be waking him up every morning with a cup of coffee in hand, and the only other bother that he might have will be a little weekend maintenance such as mowing the lawn, doing a little work on the car, or maybe hanging up some shelving for him. this is far closer to what society has expected from the men and women in times not so long ago, and old habit are hard to change, for women who seem to think that they should be the main force in the household keeping order and cleanliness, to husbands, who think that their responsibility ends once the paycheck is delivered, to the bosses who will see the men as more dependable, more willing to take the overtime, less likely to take time off, and more energized in the morning after having a restful evening and adequate sleep.

the pay gap isn't gonna change till the expectations that society holds women and men to, that women and men themselves hold to themselves and each other changes. and well, having a child is seen as a handicap just as much for a man as it is a women. after all that crying baby is just as likely to keep dad up all night as it is to keep mom up all night, regardless of who gets up and tries to quiet it down.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

You do know that sounds like making excuses, right?

I'm near 70 and female, so I've has a long time to participate and observe.

While progress is being made -- gender equality in the work force is still very much a problem.

And then, of course, a woman who fights for herself and stands her ground is not assertive, she's just a b......

I'm sure much has changed from your first day of work compared to your last day (unless you are still working?)

Perhaps you are still living in the past when it comes to the discussion of this issue? It is ILLEGAL in pretty much every Western nation to discriminate on pay based on gender of the employee.

And it's not only women who have to put up with stuff in male-dominated industries, men also have to put up with BS when they work in female-dominated industries.

edit on 1/3/2016 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Unequal pay is a myth,

www.forbes.com...

not to say an article is proof, but it has some interesting points.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: frostie
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Unequal pay is a myth,

www.forbes.com...

Uh,yeah ---- read any of her other stuff. This woman is far to the right.

Her views on everything are far right. That destroys any possibility of her being objective.

But, Hey! You found someone on the internet that agrees with you. That's original.

My daughter gets equal pay for equal work. She drives one of those humongous trucks in a gold mine. The harassment though for being a woman in a "man's" world? Way beyond acceptable. And, of course, her boss is drinking buddies with the (all, but one) male crew.

It is not a myth.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Even tho you quoted it yourself ima just leave it right here, again.

Ah heres one of those interesting points backed up by more than a right winged opinion!!!

The Department of Labor’s Time Use Survey, for example, finds that the average full-time working man spends 8.14 hours a day on the job, compared to 7.75 hours for the full-time working woman. Employees who work more likely earn more. Men working five percent longer than women alone explains about one-quarter of the wage gap.

P.S. - your daughter sounds like a Bad A##,

edit on 1-3-2016 by frostie because: P.S.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: frostie

P.S. - your daughter sounds like a Bad A##,

LOL. It's funny. This daughter is a "girlie-girl". She always has her make-up on, her hair curled, her brand name hats, her jewelry, etc.

But, also has a great work ethic. She'll fight to be the best driver they have.

She was/is ADD --- and can't really do written stuff, like office work.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: frostie

Most articles have interesting points. But, when ya swing so far to one side you lose any objectivism.

So, did you read any of her other articles?

As I am just shy of 70, you can imagine I've had some experiences over the years.

Did you know it was once illegal for a woman to work more then 10 hours a day? That was around 1965 ---- only about 50 years ago.

It has improved. It is changing. But, women who want equality in a male dominated world still have to fight for it. It's not a given.

<< 6  7  8   >>

join