It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm a realist and sadly here is why men and women will never be equal.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Equality of the genders would be such a pleasant thing, if it was possible. I have nothing against women or equality, frankly I'm all for it. The sad truth is that its just not realistic, at least not anytime soon.

I will provide an argument for my stance that will consist of many real world examples, most of them I have witnessed over time. The following focuses on the work environment, which is a good place to start.

Several factors will never allow it, for example:

Biology and Genetics, Society and Gender Roles

Biology

One topic often talked about is equal pay, women with the same credentials and qualifications do not make as much as their male counterparts to the dollar. Why is this? part of this is due to simple biology really... and these two examples will shed some insight.

Sorry ladies, but this ones all on nature.

Take two aspiring college professors, one male and one female of course. Both of their end goals are to teach at a college for their career and achieve tenure.

Each professor has a doctorate in the same field and each are equally educated and enter the teaching business in the same position.

After 5 years our guy (Billy) and gal (Mandy) have worked the same amount of time and are on track for tenure at the same time. Now is about the time where both want to have their own children and start a family.

To cut to the chase, Billy is able to raise his family and stay on the job. He will only be absent a few weeks. Mandy will have to carry this child for nine months, then go on maturity leave. Mandy will not be able to be as productive of a worker for some of this time period because of the burden of a pregnancy.

After repeating the process and having a few kids, Mandy is behind on her tenure and gets it eight years behind Billy.

Billy has already gotten his tenure because he didn't have to sacrifice as much time away as Mandy.

Mandy now makes ".76 cents" to every dollar Billy makes just because she is the gender that gives birth and has had to take a lot more time away from her profession.

Both professors are equally qualified and have had the same career, but one makes more.

So Biology is the culprit in this case. I understand that this scenario doesn't apply to the whole equal pay thing, but its just an example of how the real factor can hide.

Society and Gender Roles

Now lets take a look at a personal example from my life and my job.

In high school I worked at an Ice Rink that had a snack bar. Two major task that had to be done at the end of the night were, take the trash outside to the dumpster, and wash the dishes.

Whenever It was myself and a fellow female co worker things always went the same.

She opted to wash the dishes, and I opted to take out the trash.
The female would never want to lug two or three heavy, dirty trash bags out into the dark parking lot at midnight, and I never wanted to wash dishes. Both of us would be perfectly capable of doing each task, but society has chosen preferred roles.

Theres nothing wrong or to be ashamed of, this is just how things fall into place.

Goes back to the whole men hunted and women gathered thing.

I really hate to give it to ya straight ladies, but gotta play the hand you're dealt.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   

edit on 26-2-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Not even close to being worth it.

+17 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: frostie

What if Mandy decided not to have kids, but makes less than Billy anyway?

I am the one who always takes out the trash in my home. My husband and I share cooking and dishwashing responsibilities.

Yes, I decided to be the one to stay home with my daughter, but I had a female boss whose husband was the stay-at-home parent while she brought home the bacon.

Nope, you don't gotta play the hand you're dealt.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

If Mandy decided not to have kids, this is a possible situation where they would make the same.

Yes you take out the trash in your home and your husband share responsibilites. There is nothing wrong with this, and I encourage it. This was not the situation I provided though.

The female would never want to lug two or three heavy, dirty trash bags out into the dark parking lot at midnight

If you had to carry more than one trashbag across a dimly lit parking lot at 1 in the morning, would you or your husband do it? Lets be honest.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   

edit on 26-2-2016 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: frostie

Goes back to the whole men hunted and women gathered thing.

Right. And they gathered for those times when there was nothing to hunt.

Your OP is channeling so much caveman, one would think you could grasp that.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   

We will never be completely equal because men cannot have babies.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   

You don't know some of the heavy stuff I have taken to the curb on the midnight before trash day!

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Rikku

I dont think you read the OP,

I provided two different scenarios, and you managed to combine them into one.

Scenerio 1:

After 5 years our guy (Billy) and gal (Mandy) have worked the same amount of time and are on track for tenure at the same time. Now is about the time where both want to have their own children and start a family.

Scenerio 2:

She opted to wash the dishes, and I opted to take out the trash.
The female would never want to lug two or three heavy, dirty trash bags out into the dark parking lot at midnight, and I never wanted to wash dishes. Both of us would be perfectly capable of doing each task, but society has chosen preferred roles.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I tend to think the scales are balanced, just weighted by different things. The perception of inequity stems only from a patriarchal social structure - that some still seek to enforce through, wait for it...income inequality.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Well, I did point out how Biology and Genetics come to play,

The caveman in all of us will lead us to the answer,

Its just what is encoded in us.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   

I tend to think the scales are balanced, just weighted by different things.

Haha right, I cant use my breasts to get out of a ticket

Something had to cause a patriarchal social structure... im guessing it stemmed from our ancestors.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   

The sexist assumption that you make in that scenario is assuming that it's all the woman's fault. She wouldn't get out of the ticket if the man wasn't just a flawed.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Did you know they can make sperm from stem cells now? Just food for thought.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

Oh but we neeeeeeed men to take out our trash for us - whatever would we do without them?

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Meh, in todays world equality means nothing more than "How can we piss people off so we can get away with more crimes against them.".

Odd how we rarely hear about our founders idea of freedom, yet we our now being brainwashed to either feel guilty about who we are, inferior about who we are or worse, not be allowed to be heard because a vocal minority by ways of the ministry of truth tells a certain demographic that even though we didn't do it, we should still feel guilty to appease those who didn't live it are pissed.

Funny how I see so many people preach Progress while the ideologies they represent remind of days gone past that represent what we should never repeat as a society....

Divide and conquer rules!

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   

The man is flawed for being sexually attracted to breasts?

If you can find me a man who doesn't like a nice pair of hooters by god you win!

The man should not act on his sociological urges. I understand that breasts are not meant to be sexual in nature, but society has evolved to the point where they trigger a reaction from men.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Skip over OP content

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

Imagine a world without men.

All movies would be sad, but meaningful.
A world where no pickle jars would ever get opened.

A world where no one would ever parallel park.

hahahahahahahahaha

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

We cannot run away from our genetics and biology,

when will someone comment on the fact that most of our equality stems from our coding as human beings?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join