It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Never too young: Iowa house passes bill to let children of all ages handle guns

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Never too young: Iowa house passes bill to let children of all ages handle guns

State representative Kirsten Running-Marquardt, who opposes the bill, said it “allows for one-year-olds, two-year-olds, three-year-olds, four-year-olds to operate handguns”, according to CBS-affiliate KCCI. She added: “We do not need a militia of toddlers.” Currently in Iowa, children can legally use long guns and shotguns under adult supervision but not handguns. This bill would change that, allowing the use of handguns as long as parents are 21 years old and maintain “visual and verbal contact at all times with the supervised person”. Children would still not be able to purchase firearms on their own.

The Libertarians and Republicans are loving the decision. America is becoming a landless society with any modernized laws.
They might as well support Child Soldiers.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:21 AM
link   
When I was young I could go into Wal-mart and buy a 22 rifle and ammo. Hand guns I don't know. So what's the big deal here. You make it sound like a child is going to use the gun on their parents.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:27 AM
link   
But why stop there?

Why not hand out handgranades? Because they are a really sensible way of defending yourself, and take up less space than a gun.

Or landmines? Those are just fun little boxes.

Reeeeeeally?!
Of course, because 'murica.. You deserve the bestest Trump you can get, 'murica!

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   
So it seems that its the American culture that is full of Booze and Guns with no respects to the modern laws.
That makes America even more sad.
edit on 26-2-2016 by TaleDawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TaleDawn

I shot a .45 when I was 7 or so. Amazingly I did not end up in a militia, or going on a killing spree, or becoming a soldier of fortune. I guess I must have just been really lucky that I was taught that guns, and other dangerous things, are not toys. Seeing what the gun did to a target was a more thought-provoking lesson than seeing what a mouse trap did to a pencil... and I learned that both were nothing to mess around with. Imagine if people actually taught their kids these days and we didn't have to be so hopeful that the government would come in to tell us how to raise children.

I also was taught to pay attention to what adults told me. Thankfully I didn't have a culture of whining complainers around me that allowed me to get away with whatever I wanted to sending the message that my actions were the fault of somebody else or was a function of the government not imposing enough laws.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Why stop there? let them buy RPGs! oh man those would sweet toys!
I am sure Alex Jones has a handful of them.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
When I was young I could go into Wal-mart and buy a 22 rifle and ammo. Hand guns I don't know. So what's the big deal here. You make it sound like a child is going to use the gun on their parents.

No kidding and even take guns to school for show and tell or for actual live fire with the rifle squad.. Just goes to show you how much this sick society has changed...

We should all turn in our guns to some government agency and just let the police, EPA, FBI, HLS, BLM, et all be armed.... for they always will have our best interest at heart !

Mao was wrong when he said all power come the barrel of a gun because this is a new age and history should be discarded... history is old and this is now.. Power comes from well meaning government always...just ask them !
edit on 727thk16 by 727Sky because: ....

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Now if only we can find a way to arm fetuses...

to be fair according to what you posted, kids can already use certain guns with adult supervision, they are just increasing the types of guns they can use. All the rest stays the same.
There will be no "militia of toddlers" since adult supervision is required for handguns just like with long guns and shotguns.
I am on your side in that i disagree with how america is addressing (not addressing?) gun use and ownership. Didn't some little girl shoot a guy in the face while trying to shoot an uzi?
That should tell you all you need to know about the problems this poses.
Even though it might be amusing to watch kids fly back and hit a wall after trying out a shotgun...

America does have a gun problem, and maybe giving out guns to children or allowing them in schools (like texas is now doing) is the right answer.
I mean there has to be a high enough number of dead kids that will make people change their minds...right?

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

America is a land of a gun culture with no respects to modern laws as i mentioned. You might as well get an argument that you have the rights to buy a military tank next.

America needs to change dude. Can you imagine elementary kids taking guns to their show and tale day? or better yet bullies taking guns with them in the open?

This would make things much worse not better.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Currently in Iowa, children can legally use long guns and shotguns under adult supervision but not handguns.
That's really nothing new in many rural places and as mentioned in some states with hand gun laws allowing teens and older children to carry. Teaching children is a safety measure because guns are so common in some places.

I agree they should be supervised with handguns(all guns as well) and as the bill says the guardian in charge should be held liable for an injured party. The bill mentions those under fourteen years old. Under fourteen doesn't necessarily mean one to four year olds should carry. I don't think any responsible guardian would allow that.

originally posted by: TaleDawn
So it seems that its the American culture that is full of Booze and Guns with no respects to the modern laws.
That makes America even more sad.

I'd assume then you haven't been here. Much less rural country sides.

edit on 26-2-2016 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:36 AM
link   

America is a land of a gun culture with no respects to modern laws as i mentioned. You might as well get an argument that you have the rights to buy a military tank next.

America needs to change dude. Can you imagine elementary kids taking guns to their show and tale day? or better yet bullies taking guns with them in the open?

youtu.be...

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Well i rest my case on the tank one.

I believe some are misinterpreting the second amendment. I read it a couple of times, i dont believe the forefathers had envisioned something like this.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:41 AM
link   

"Modern" law? You mean laws you agree with, right? No one wants to buy a tank. Stop blowing it out of proportion.
edit on 26-2-2016 by DAVID64 because: typo

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Would you hand children a Rattle Snake? Some folks no doubt would obviously. This is another stupid, time wasting, senseless idea.

If lawmakers are going to ease the boot off the face at all? How about f###### giving adults back their guns in states that have already taken them?

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Because they are a really sensible way of defending yourself, and take up less space than a gun.

Can you and your partner come up with some reasonable responses? There are 2 of you who just keep rambling on about tanks and grenades, but no gun owner has said it's a good idea.

Sorry, we don't run and cower. We believe in protecting ourselves, not whimper in to a phone and hope help gets there in time.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   

This is not about kids carrying guns to school or bullies open carrying. Get a grip. This has nothing to do with tanks. This is about supervised use of a firearm.

I was taught that a gun is a dangerous thing that isn't for show and tell or for carrying around to be a bully. I advocate for parents to have a little responsibility and for people to stop with the constant begging for the government to come in and regulate the raising of children.

Jesus, it's Iowa. We're not talking about Afghanistan or some war-torn African country with child soldiers here. This is allowing responsible use of a firearm under the supervision of an adult, not flanking the enemy under the direction of a general.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

He does have a point.

We believe in protecting ourselves, not whimper in to a phone and hope help gets there in time.

Yes protecting by training kids to be shooters in life must be a great lesson. You might as well send them to the middle east to help them out with their training of their guns.

This would turn quite badly and its only matter of time before it does. If you want a society that has no limits or boundaries thats fine.
America eventually would be like Venezuela with its gun problems in a very short few years now.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Been handling guns since I was 5. Sound guidance and tutelage pays dividends across the spectrum. Landless society...what exactly does that mean?

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
But why stop there?

Why not hand out handgranades? Because they are a really sensible way of defending yourself, and take up less space than a gun.

Or landmines? Those are just fun little boxes.

Reeeeeeally?!
Of course, because 'murica.. You deserve the bestest Trump you can get, 'murica!

You apparently have zero grasp on what you're throwing words at. Wallow in your ignorance.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:08 AM
link   

No, we teach them at a young age to take the mystery out of it and give them the knowledge to handle firearms safely. They learn not to touch a gun if they find one. Do you have a reasonable argument or just more "send your kids to the M.E. " rhetoric?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join