It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Video Game that Made Elon Musk Question Whether Our Reality is a Simulation

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: HawkeyeNation

Wow...

a shame its not on xbox

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

originally posted by: HawkeyeNation

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
What's the point of all this?

Life's too short for all this kinda crap imo.

Each to their own I guess.

Ya that's kind of my thought. I'm a casual gamer. I have 1 game right now that I play and that is Black Ops 3. I like the idea of this game but just not sure if it can pull me in to play long term. Something I'll look to rent first.

It would take you 4 Billion years to visit every planet, are they having a laugh?

Sure, playing Black Ops until this year's franchise is released, is understandable. This?

Pointless.

Working 5 days a week for 50 years until you die? Pointless.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Inventing fire? Pointless...

Inventing the wheel? Pointless...

Inventing Virtual Reality machines that now can simulate an entire human brain for post op procedures? Totally pointless...

Keep thinking like that, the next thing that's pointless is for you to breath... lol..

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Sounds really cool to me! I wonder if the game will evolve over time? Like different factions and races all carrying out their own agendas? Shouldn't it be possible to give other people your cooridance and start to build a civilization?

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   

I have heard an awful lot about this game, and although most of what I have heard has been positive, for obvious reasons, I have also heard some bad things about it.

First of all, I have heard nothing about a plot. Just saying, here, explore a universe or a galaxy, is all very well, and if it was really about exploration, I could understand the appeal. However, space is a complex place, and the complexities of various types and sizes of planets are absolutely necessary to a game like this having an acceptable level of granularity. For a start, are there any gas giants, or water worlds, are there Oort Cloud like regions, and does one HAVE to warp from here to there? Can one not pick a coordinate just outside a system, so that one can enter it with the drama that such an event deserves?

Furthermore, will different planets have differing gravity levels, and if so, will that affect the controls of the ship? We know from the video that the programmer put in different levels of atmosphere and toxicity, but has he gone ahead and messed with gravity? Are there asteroids? Comets? Are there black holes?

And does the ship get upgraded to the point where you could actually run a science package capable of scanning a planet in its entirety, like a proper badass space explorer? Or is all discovery in No Man's Sky about landing, shooting crystals with lasers, and hunting down relics?

This will be a game for MineCraft people, no doubt about it. For those who require plot driven narratives with well developed characters, engaging writing and so on, this will likely as not be the game for them. But I have to say, I have heard this game referred to as pointless in this thread, and I cannot possibly agree. For one thing, this game represents the absolute raggedy edge of what is possible with computer games design, and will be the bench mark for many future games, no doubt.

If they ever manage to make a game like this, but with a heavier combat focus and a plot worth a damn, it will be the most popular game of its generation. I would love to see someone get hold of the right to make a Warhammer 40k game with the same scope, for example. And make no mistake, this game will not be pointless for those who are of a mindset which lends itself to enjoyment of something like this. It will not be as engaging as crushing somethings face with a big axe, or chucking so much lead at your enemies that they become vapour in an eye link, but for those who have always wanted the ability to just get out of the atmosphere, and map new territory, this game is going to be the pinnacle of all gaming history. Although I personally am probably going to get frustrated with the lack of face shooting that will be happening, I can see my child, my sister, my brother in law, and for that matter a whole host of other people I know, really digging the hell out of this format.

The scope of this game makes my mind swim, and it takes an awful lot to get that to happen. Paddle, maybe, but full on, head under the water action? That's rare.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Looks pretty cool, I'm intriqued.

Looking for something to replace WoW eventually( assuming I ever burn out on it, lol), and while No Mans Sky is different, it looks open ended and vast---which I like in a game.

Cool.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: combatmaster

Hold on! WHOA!!! There isn't anywhere in a public place that I don't see someone talking/texting.. The only way You are going to get anyone off of this rock is make dang sure they can talk/text or else You'll get voted off Your own planet...

OR...

The Mormons are right, everyone gets a planet..

So are You a nerd that lives in Your Mom's basement until 30 or are You in a cult/religion™ w/funny underwear?

• I guess You can tell which way I'm headed? iTunes™ full of Neil Young and some Buds and I'll be fine....

namaste

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Ill be in that Universe, guaranteed.

Someone brings up the good point that although we all start on different planets, the chances of meetijg others is higher as you move toward the middle.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Sounds similar to elite:dangerous. Same princliple, but with 400 billion planets. Its a space sim that has a big learning curve, but once you understand it, its amazing!

They through in random encounters with NPC's because you rarely ever run into another player, unless you join up with a team. Then you can cruise the cosmos with your crew

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   
We could make an ATS planet. ATS members converge, all contribute and rule a solar system.

It'd be the craziest planet in the artificial cosmos for sure.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
Sounds similar to elite:dangerous. Same princliple, but with 400 billion planets. Its a space sim that has a big learning curve, but once you understand it, its amazing!

They through in random encounters with NPC's because you rarely ever run into another player, unless you join up with a team. Then you can cruise the cosmos with your crew

Similar in the basic premise of Universal Sandbox, but Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen both center around interplanetary trade, ship to ship combat, salvage and other activities as well as exploration, which if i recall, is all No Man's Sky is built for.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   
The game looks amazing and I'm totally open to the idea of our reality being a simulation.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK
We could make an ATS planet. ATS members converge, all contribute and rule a solar system.

It'd be the craziest planet in the artificial cosmos for sure.

lol, I like where you are going with this.

We can be Gods!
edit on 25-2-2016 by HawkeyeNation because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Yes not having a plot could cause some trouble for some...myself included. I'm looking at this thing long term...as we develop the coding updates that could be done even 5 years from now will advance immensely. I can only envision we get to the point in the game where the code itself evolves on it's own (maybe that already happen??) and continues to create within the game. Before we know it we have self thinking within the game. In other words we created a self evolving universe that can think and create on its own.....hmmm sounds familiar don't it lol.

(ha reading what I just wrote and I feel I have rambled a bunch of non sense, brain overload lol)

edit: what I mean by self evolving is more towards the line of creating intelligent AI...which it does not do now I believe.
edit on 25-2-2016 by HawkeyeNation because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   
May I suggest Playing Elite Dangerous. Millions of planets and stars to visit, land on and dock at, trading, pirates, other human players, mining, and the whole milky way is in there. I heard it would take weeks of jumping from system to system to reach the centre of the galaxy.

If you dont like to fight, then buy a scanner, lots of fuel cells and head off to very very VERY far away places from civilisation and do some system mapping then come back and sell the info for lots of money. Im away for weeks at a time mapping. The game looks STUNNING and is the most atmospheric space game i have ever played. You feel like you are in the middle of nowhere and everything is to scale. Yes, you heard me correctly....

I cant sing its praises enough. Just be warned, there is a lot of travelling in this game, but i like the fact that you dont just jump into a system outside one of the stations, its always at a nav beacon and you have to travel to where you want to get which could take anywhere from 2 mins to 30 mins and you have to adjust your speed and slow down correctly...and of course all this travelling time you are prone to interdictions and attacks. Nothing raises the heart beat than being laden with Palladium from 2 hours of mining and watching a ship line up behind you to force you out of hyperspace and attack you. You can see it coming, but unless you are very skilled, you cant always avoid a fight. Awesome game. Pay once and they will keep improving it. We got a years worth of addons and improvements with the initial release.

Oh yeah and you gets LOTS of money for discovering new black holes and neutron stars.
edit on 26-2-2016 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-2-2016 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Well, my kind of idea. Allthough i have my
reservations. As with SC and ED...
Promises promises, show me atleast 100
UNIQE planets that i can visit then MAAYYBE.

Or it will soon be like, "Been there, done that"

And seriously, they have this great 600k line code and
it still looks like a childs cartoon...

And like the rest of them, point 1, 2, 3, 4 before i can go to point 5
What if i dont want to visit systems 2 3 4.

Mheee

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 03:09 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

They promise the sun and stars yet rarely achieve the complexity required to carry it off.

I can understand your skepticism but I wouldn't underestimate the effort they have put into this game. I recently came across a very interesting lecture from an artist involved in No Mans Sky where he describes how they generate the creatures and plants in No Mans Sky and it's clear they've put a great deal of thought into it. They really are pioneers of procedurally generated worlds and based on gameplay footage I've seen it will be quite a nice experience. Maybe it wont be everyone's cup of tea but for me it makes a huge difference when every creature in the game is unique and every tree doesn't look the same.

Also, being a programmer gives me an even deeper respect for what they are doing here. The way they have generalized the problem into a modular blueprint system is very impressive and it has far reaching applications beyond just No Mans Sky. Games in the future will no doubt make use of the important lessons No Mans Sky will teach us about model variation. So for those of you stating this game is pointless and wouldn't be fun to play, well maybe you wont find it fun, but it's very far from pointless and only short sighted people would make that statement.

BTW I wrote a thread called A Guide to Procedural World Generation just a couple of months ago which some of you may find interesting.

edit on 26/2/2016 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 03:18 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

First of all, I have heard nothing about a plot. Just saying, here, explore a universe or a galaxy, is all very well, and if it was really about exploration, I could understand the appeal. However, space is a complex place, and the complexities of various types and sizes of planets are absolutely necessary to a game like this having an acceptable level of granularity. For a start, are there any gas giants, or water worlds, are there Oort Cloud like regions, and does one HAVE to warp from here to there? Can one not pick a coordinate just outside a system, so that one can enter it with the drama that such an event deserves?

I believe it's mostly just going to be focused on exploration, discovering new planets and new species. The most I have heard about a plot is the goal of trying to reach the center of the galaxy. Apparently things get weirder as you get closer to the center of the galaxy, or something like that.

Furthermore, will different planets have differing gravity levels, and if so, will that affect the controls of the ship? We know from the video that the programmer put in different levels of atmosphere and toxicity, but has he gone ahead and messed with gravity?

Yes planets will have different levels of gravity because in the lecture I linked in my last post he talks about how the gravity on a planet will affect the types of creatures you will find on that planet. I will have to watch the lecture again because I cannot remember exactly what he said.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 04:28 AM
link   
And every planet will have these robot protectors?
What about colonization?
Building?
Warfare?
Other inteligent spacefaring civilisations?
Can i "build/design" my own craft?

I need to see more infos

And i got it...
So yea looks very promising i give you that.

Maybe they could add a software for game accounts,
that would give you the option to generate your own
stuff. Like ships, ship equipment, clothing, building matrls
and so on...
edit on 2016/2/26 by Miccey because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Chin bearded artisans might love the philosophical implications proposed by the game but will exploring random nothingness with sub par FPS gameplay actually be fun?

Would love to see what an actual gamer thinks.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join