It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvard abolishes 'master' in titles in slavery row

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Harvard University in the US is going to remove the word "master" from academic titles, after protests from students who claimed the title had echoes of slavery. House masters, in charge of residential halls at the university, will become known as "faculty deans". Harvard Law School is also deciding whether to change its official seal, because of links to slavery.

BBC news

Erm yeah ok.........

I think this is a good example of the PC bullcrap that people are sick of.

I mean WTF?

Master is now a racist word?

Well master master master master MASTER!

What next? Ban all white people from opening there mouths in general? Ban the English laungage for being racist?
edit on 25-2-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Well, I am a Master Mason so bow before me all you enslaved sheeple.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   

If someone doesn't want to use a word, for whatever reason, I really don't care. It's about as important to me as the announcement that Harvard is changing their lunch menu to include tater tots.

I sometimes wonder why things like this (decisions by others) bothers people so much...

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

That's not what this is about. Changing things for irrational and ridiculous reasons is what it is about. Not someone deciding they aren't going to use a word.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ItCameFromOuterSpace

This is what the housemasters unanimously agreed so what's the problem plus it's something used in stuffy English schools anyway, maybe that's why crazywok is miffed about it.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I don't suppose it really matters any more, which is sad. I suspect language will be reduced and reduced through both idiotic reasoning and technological advances. I think George Orwell had something to say about that.

Newspeak

Sanitized speech for clean living. No bad thoughts allowed.

Eventually we will just drop most of the vowels as well, like the Egyptians did. Just to be on the supersafe side.
Knw wht I mn?

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
a reply to: ItCameFromOuterSpace

This is what the housemasters unanimously agreed so what's the problem plus it's something used in stuffy English schools anyway, maybe that's why crazywok is miffed about it.

When did you go all PC?

Il create a little safe space for you.

edit on 25-2-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

You need to modernize... henceforth, you are a Dean of Masons.

This is the type of mental mast... er, mantal deanbation that make America in 2016 look weak as hell. I mean, seriously, how does the quivering puddle of Jell-O like response to words empower minorities and the sensitive in any way? How in the hell do these demands for changes and the ensuing temper tantrums if those crying about it don't get the change enacted serving to present any illusion of strength or really present anything other than a weak victim image?

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Not pc at all but what do you expect from a bunch of college kids these days who only cares about their feelings and not about a proper education?

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

That sounds way less cool. I am a sad panda now.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Hmm now we have to "faculty deanbate"?

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
If someone doesn't want to use a word, for whatever reason, I really don't care. ..I sometimes wonder why things like this (decisions by others) bothers people so much...

This is not about "people not wanting to use a word".
This is about "People COMPELLING other people not to use a word, for nonsensical reasons".
What bothers people is the stupid and irrational tyranny over the language of others which this kind of incident implies.

We could turn your question round and ask "Why did the fact that Harvard was previously using the innocent word Master bother the original complainants?" If "not caring what others do" is a virtue, why did they not apply it themselves?

edit on 25-2-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
So will the students be forced to deanbate when alone in their dorms now?

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Would a better use of their time not be to highlight the plight of slaves that are being sold and raped in the middle east in 2016!!!!!!!??..

That is a real flipping topic, young girls being sold, tortured and gang raped and you worry about a "word" in a american university that you claim somehow underminds your existance...

I feel the same about this stuff as I do about third wave feminist that do sweat F-A when a real situation is happening, oh the silence is deafening..

I wonder how long it will be before the anti slavery militia head out to the middle east to help liberate this generations dirty little secret??...

RANT OVER

RA

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I agree, they should revoke all master's degrees from Harvard.

They are racist and eruditist.

Everyone should have the same degree.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Lookout MasterCard users.

Make sure the clerk is not black before daring to use it.
edit on 25-2-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

This is the type of mental mast... er, mantal deanbation that make America in 2016 look weak as hell. I mean, seriously, how does the quivering puddle of Jell-O like response to words empower minorities and the sensitive in any way? How in the hell do these demands for changes and the ensuing temper tantrums if those crying about it don't get the change enacted serving to present any illusion of strength or really present anything other than a weak victim image?

I'm tellin ya! I already have my Kickstart business lined up for when Trump is elected! "Utopian Safe Space" Want a safe space? We can build it for you! Thru are revolutionary process of using Nanobots we can now prevent words from insulting your intellect! Yes, this modern marvel of technology can prevent ANY offensive word from entering your idea of a dreamy Utopian society!

Maybe our colleges should be teaching students how to be productive instead of forcing them to spend 200k to be a social justice warrior when it can be done for free?

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Hell reading all the post is now actually making me feel offended, alienate and oppressed, I want ATS to change all their working.

How about that.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
Lookout MasterCard users.

Make sure the clerk is not black before daring to use it.

I think I will refuse to repay my credit card as its racist!

Infact its black and a master card!

Cant repay it nope! And dont send me bills my house is a "safe space"

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
Hell reading all the post is now actually making me feel offended, alienate and oppressed, I want ATS to change all their working.

How about that.

See that!

You were triggered!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join