It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP and Media Elite having an existential crisis over Trump

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   
They all laughed at Trump last summer. Now, it just got real.

The party elite scoffed and dismissed him, basically tried to pretend like he was a non-factor until as late as November, fueling his anti-establishment appeal. The media incessantly covered his campaign with a mocking spin (also fueling the anti-establishment angle), giving him free publicity and resulting in huge rallies and voter turnout for Trump.

The red flags went up after Trump's strong 2nd place finish in Iowa - because, you know, rural evangelicals weren't supposed to feel Trump's big city vibe. Then New Hampshire happened and the elite and the media mused that it's just New Hampshire, home of rebels and malcontents in NYC's backyard. Then South Carolina...then Nevada... Each with their own caveats as to why Trump understandably carried the day. (46% of Latino voters went for Trump and that's a one off?) With each primary, the elite and the media have fawned over the second place finisher, like they were the coming Messiah.

NOW the party and media elite are reconciling the harsh reality of Trump, the outlier candidate they helped create.

Their unwillingness to call him on his lack of specifics has created a movement made of superlatives but no substance. Their reluctance to counter his rhetoric with the blunt force of reality has allowed him to leverage social media and TV air time to his advantage by flooding it with sound bites tailor made to attract more eyes and ears for sheer entertainment value. Their constant focus on who finished second gave GOP candidates a false sense of security that Trump was an anomaly that would work itself out in the political process.

Not so much.

Now it's almost March with Super Tuesday looming and there is full on panic as both the GOP elite and the media crunch the numbers and see that a Trump ticket is more than likely.

The articles this morning tell the tale:

Washington Post:

Donald Trump has taken firm control of the race for the Republican presidential nomination with his third straight victory, in Nevada. To deny him that role, strategists say, his leading rivals must quickly change the trajectory of the race and then dig in for what could be a long battle that could go all the way to the GOP convention in Cleveland.

Wall Street Journal:

Donald Trump’s primary wins and perch atop the polls with barely a week to go before a string of crucial contests has triggered frantic hand-wringing from his many critics in the Republican Party who worry time is running out to deny him the presidential nomination.

New York Times:

Donald J. Trump has snatched three straight victories, built a powerful lead in national polls and knocked several opponents out of the 2016 presidential race. His path to the Republican nomination looks wider than ever. But it could still contain pitfalls and roadblocks. Here are some of the ways he could still stumble.

The Times article even goes into specifics of how he might be beaten, as if to underscore their desperation that someone, anyone, will step up to stop this crazy train.

It's ironic that the very disdain and denial regarding a Trump candidacy and the type of voters he appeals to as made his victory almost certain.

edit on 2/25/2016 by HoldMyBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: HoldMyBeer

At this point I'm resigned to believe that it's up to the Democrats to beat him. The GOP has imploded on itself apparently. The two other candidate with a shot are taking from each others' votes and are too egotistical to realize that if one of them dropped out, the other would have a shot at taking Trump out. But nah, that would require one of them to have some humility. Fat chance.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   

… giving him free publicity…

Theres your sign. No matter how much the Media appears to scoff or mock, at their core of support is that free coverage.

The American Public would vote for donald duck if they 'spun' him right in the "News".

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Donald Duck as president would be disastrous, could you imagine him on one of his tantrums with nukes a button away?
edit on 2/25/2016 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I think there will be a GOP reckoning because of that. I think come November 9th, Reince Priebus will be out on his ass. Just yesterday, post Nevada, he told CNN that the RNC will embrace whoever is the nominee. He's fence sitting even now, as the GOP establishment insiders are panicking looking to purge Trump by any means necessary.
edit on 2/25/2016 by HoldMyBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Oh definitely. Some heads will be rolling after this election is over. I can agree with that.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   

You know its funny....

I know next to nothing about politics, yet it was so clear that political correctness has become such a disease in the western hemisphere that even measly old me could predict Trump becoming president!

A year ago, ATS political know-it-all's were still asleep..... now they are forced to wake up to the music, realizing that Trump is going to eventually win.

Funny how the tables turn!

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I just want to point at the Republican leadership and say...... Ha Ha!

They don't get the message that the Trump 'phenomena' is presenting, errr... pounding them on the heads... with.

The Republican voters wishes are not being represented by the establishment Republican Party any more.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Even NYT film critic Ross Douthat is having a meltdown:

twitter.com...

Posting a youtube clip of a movie about assassinating a political figure who might become President. His entire feed the last day or so seems dedicated to tanking a Trump candidacy.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

It's obvious that an overhaul is sorely needed. Has been for the last few elections. How relatable was Mit Romney?
John McCain might have made it. If he hadn't choosen Sarah as a running mate.
edit on 2252016 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

edit on 2252016 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

John McCain might have made it.

Just another dinosaur. I wouldn't have wanted him as President with or without Sarah Palin.
They need to be cleaned out or given an attitude adjustment that works.

+9 more 
posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

How is the Democratic party better? If you see Hilary as a better candidate than Trump then you have truly lost your marbles.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Sorry demogouges like Trump are worse than anything we have now.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Look, I don't like Trump either, but Hilary is a criminal 10 times over. I can't believe you would think she is better than Trump.

I do agree we are screwed either way.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
President Trump will no be any worst or better than the presidents that preceded him.

With that say, I can only laugh at how Trump has become a household brand name, even in the ones that hate him and can not stand him.

He has gotten his popularity with his controversial ways and open criticism.

Many dislike this, specially those that like politics to stay within the status quo of nice and good for all.

I like dirty politics, I like to know the dirty secrets of all, I want to hear the corruption, so far the cookie cutter, poster presidential candidate are nothing but boring, still dirty, but keeping their trash in the back burner because they think Americans are that stupid.

I never in my wildest dream would have thought that Trump be this far and ahead in this presidential elections.

Taking into consideration his track record in the past when it comes to politics, he should have been gone a long time ago.

But is a reason why he is still around and probably will make it to the nomination.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Look, I don't like Trump either, but Hilary is a criminal 10 times over. I can't believe you would think she is better than Trump.

I do agree we are screwed either way.

"Better the evil you know..."

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

At this point I'm resigned to believe that it's up to the Democrats to beat him. The GOP has imploded on itself apparently.

Either way. The Dems are getting a third term.

Trump = Democratic Manchurian Candidate.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Sexual assault allegations against Trump resurface as Super Tuesday nears

In a $125m lawsuit she later dropped, the woman accused Donald Trump of ‘outrageous conduct’ – and says now that she stands by her allegations

Their coming after Trump

Yesterday his taxes, now the past indiscretions or anything they could drum up to take him down will come out.

Trump will be deluged with bad publicity

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
Sexual assault allegations against Trump resurface as Super Tuesday nears

In a $125m lawsuit she later dropped, the woman accused Donald Trump of ‘outrageous conduct’ – and says now that she stands by her allegations

Their coming after Trump

Yesterday his taxes, now the past indiscretions or anything they could drum up to take him down will come out.

Trump will be deluged with bad publicity

What about ALL of hillary's bad publicity.. the illegal email and investigation, Benghazi, holy # did people already forget about when she lied about getting shot at out of a helicopter, the sniper bull #. Trump will tear her to shreds. Hillary Clinton is a clown.

125 MILL DOLLAR lawsuit for rape? shouldnt that be criminal if it really happen?/.. read this quote in the article she's a trump supporter lmao!!!!

Potentially confusing matters further, the woman appears to now be a supporter of Trump’s campaign for the White House. She told the website Law Newz this week that she would be voting for Trump. “I saw him [Donald] recently, and he said I looked good,” the website reported her as saying. “I have nothing but good things to say about Donald.”
www.theguardian.com...
edit on 25-2-2016 by starfoxxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Yes, people are freaking out.

But why? He's like a dem that leans right.

Isn't that what would be desirable in a potus?

He won't take away your abortions, they just won't be govt paid or put the US in chapter 7. altho obama had a downgrade.

He's a CC holder. (not credit card)

He will call BS when needed, no mealy mouthed excuses.

Foreign policy? Who cares what the other leaders of the world think. Trump is in it for Americans and free lunches will stop.

Maybe some other country will step up and open their doors and wallets for whatever the rest of the world expects them to.

No more politics as usual, is what the USA needs and Trump is delivering.

There is no such thing as bad publicity.

this has been a burgerbuddy rant.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join