It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Answers for Atheists

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

Boy was that a weak argument. It's almost like you're not really trying anymore. Did that seem convincing to you??

Just simply, "God is real. Because I say so. Now here's a youtube clip."

I'm not impressed.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
If god doesn't help us, and I see no evidence that it does, what use is it?

I mean really, how is the world a better place and humans better animals because of god?

What has it done to attain this high place at our table? What does it offer us apart from shame, self-doubt and the promise of suffering now for a theoretical better later?

If you could explain to me what we as humans actually get out of the deal with god, you will win me over.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Randy, I admire you for making such a post. But hasn't it been done a hundred times already? And haven't the exact same people come to reject any sanity?

Just look at some of the post counts of the people answering. It's the same people, with the same stories. I haven't watched the video so I don't know what it says, but I have seen these same people ignore rationality over and over and over and over again.

Sometimes, even if you prove something to someone, they will still refuse it and reject it. I've seen it happen in both people who claim to serve God, and agnostics, and atheists alike. There seems to be some type of, I don't know what to call it, something, that makes people of all sorts tick like that. Make them blind to the truth around them.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: JackReyes

Did you just invoke rationality to defend a belief in god?
This is a rather unique use of the word that I was hitherto unaware.
edit on 24-2-2016 by Jonjonj because: addition

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: JackReyes

Randy, I admire you for making such a post. But hasn't it been done a hundred times already? And haven't the exact same people come to reject any sanity?

Just look at some of the post counts of the people answering. It's the same people, with the same stories. I haven't watched the video so I don't know what it says, but I have seen these same people ignore rationality over and over and over and over again.

Sometimes, even if you prove something to someone, they will still refuse it and reject it. I've seen it happen in both people who claim to serve God, and agnostics, and atheists alike. There seems to be some type of, I don't know what to call it, something, that makes people of all sorts tick like that. Make them blind to the truth around them.

So what "truth" am I blind to?

Because I don't accept someone else's opinion as fact?

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

The concept of God offers peace and security on an emotional level for many. It's also a concept that has allowed for certain authorities to control the actions of people to various degrees throughout history.

Whether or not either of those is a good or bad thing is up for debate.

It also provides a handy go to answer for questions we don't have answers to as well.

Although I guess that may not answer your question since I'm talking about the concept of God rather than God itself. Which in my opinion is the same thing.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Esoterotica

The only atheist agenda I've ever been aware of was to make fun of religious people every chance we get.

And with that right there, you belie your true motivation:

You aren't interested in the truth. You exist to piss other people off.

What misery.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Sometimes, even if you prove something to someone, they will still refuse it and reject it.

What proof?? What have you proven??? Nothing. Making a claim and saying it's true because you said so isn't proof of anything. Nobody is rejecting anything because nothing has been put forth to reject other than your opinion. I do reject your opinion though this is true. Because you can't give one reason why I shouldn't reject it.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: peter vlar
so where is the Atheist agenda you allude to?

I had never heard of an 'Atheist Agenda' up until now. I mean I am aware of the dreaded Gay Agenda but not an Atheist one.

Imagine if you combined the two into a super-agenda, the unstoppable Gaytheist Agenda? They could listen to show tunes while urinating on crosses and calling it art.

Oh it was a first for me as well. Its why I was hoping he would go more in depth as to what it entailed.

I think the only thing more frightening to the devout than the gaytheist agenda would be if they gay agenda and the atheist agenda decided to co-opt the transsexuals to bolster their ranks with Caitlyn Jenner as their flag bearer!

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

I think where Christians get messed up on this is by equating atheists and anti-theists. Most atheists have no "agenda", because we are not organized, and we have only one thing in common. A lack of belief.
Anti-theists on the other hand, are actively organizing against religion, and actively working toward its demise to the extent of taking away its control in government, as well as its privileged status, especially in the U.S.

Most anti-theists are atheists, but not all atheists are anti-theist.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   

The world would end.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kantjil
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Ive heard of the dreaded Cthulu agenda that haunts your dreams, oooor was it someone with a huge imagination?

the only imagination I'm seeing lately is your obsession with masons and their mascot Chtulu and figuring out how many unoriginal ways you can work one or both items into the same post. I know its cold and dark up there in Scandanavia this time of year but you really need to work on a new schtick.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

Did you just invoke rationality to defend a belief in god?
This is a rather unique use of the word that I was hitherto unaware.

You don't need to be a genius to understand the rational that there is a God.

For example, while many atheists would object to Holy Scripture, it's rational is very easy to understand, and logical:

(Hebrews 3:4) . . .Of course, every house is constructed by someone, but the one who constructed all things is God.

Is that not a rational statement? And a rational deduction from reasoning?

In fact Scripture also says a few other things about people who don't believe in God. Such as, they are inexcusable for their attitude, because there is plenty of evidence of his existence:

(Romans 1:20) 20 For his invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they are inexcusable.

And that only a fool reasons there is no God:

(Psalm 10:4) In his haughtiness, the wicked man makes no investigation; All his thoughts are: “There is no God.”

Actually it goes further. It shows the heart condition behind people, whom are shown logic and rational and continue to ignore it. It s not because they want truth, but it is because they are arrogant and haughty.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   

The atheists on these boards have asked many times for proof of religious people's claims. This is the same answer we always get. Feelings and opinions. Just present your best evidence, and we'll judge it accordingly. So far not one single bit of evidence has been presented. What are we supposed to do? Just accept what freakin randy thinks? He's not even trying. That i will agree with. But then, none of the religious folks are trying, because randy's opinion is the best you've got. It is what you're position boils down to. Feelings. How could anyone be convinced by this? Really!
edit on 24-2-2016 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

My biggest agenda is what my next snack is going to be. I actually have a life when I'm not stalking Randy on ATS so there really aren't enough hours in the day for me to include an agenda that doesn't involve snacks. If I could teach my dogs to bring me something from the kitchen without eating it first... now that's an agenda I could get behind!

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

The only truth to be found in religion is that humans will anthropomorphise just about anything.

I don't exist to do anything, but that's something people with "faith" can't understand (I almost envy their delusion)
You're right, life as an anhedonic nihilist is quite miserable, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Enlightenment is a b#.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Odin appreciates your dedication but wishes next time you would credit him. He adds that Krishna sends his regards and Zeus wants his Wii back.

link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

I know there has been evidence given. Your statement is inaccurate. I imagine that you haven't read such evidence, and thus assume out of every single post ever made there was never evidence given. But your statement can only stand if you have read every single post on this website. And if you have, then you are a liar. If not, then your argument is invalid.

link   

Actually I'm right & you're wrong because [insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here]

[insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here]

[insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here]

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

I think where Christians get messed up on this is by equating atheists and anti-theists. Most atheists have no "agenda", because we are not organized, and we have only one thing in common. A lack of belief.
Anti-theists on the other hand, are actively organizing against religion, and actively working toward its demise to the extent of taking away its control in government, as well as its privileged status, especially in the U.S.

Most anti-theists are atheists, but not all atheists are anti-theist.

I believe that is called neo-atheism. And it is headed by atheists believe it or not.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join