It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘White Privilege’ training for teachers-Pacific Educational Group

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 04:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

originally posted by: BIGPoJo

a reply to: TonyS

"White Privilege" is a myth. We have black billionaires, actors, sport stars, scientists, teachers, cops, firefighters, and even a black POTUS. The AG is black too, so was the last one. Does that mean that Lynch and Holder have "Black Privilege"?

And you misunderstand what White Privilege is , it's not about your balance sheet or position in a company or government.

Then what is white privilege exactly? Do you understand how offensive this concept is to whites? I mean its very racist to say that a person's skin color affects social status.

It shouldn't come off as being offensive but it is what it is, so yes a person's skin color does affects social status, as was stated earlier one can achieve,academic,financial and professional status and still be affected by it, too many stories of wealthy Blacks getting checked in their own neighborhood that is largely white or mistaken for the the help or the valet..why the assumption??? it is assumed they don't belonged there and maybe a probable interloper, btw sometimes with deadly consequences, money and power can help shield some from the worst of it but it's still there and a good many self segregate themselves in their own upper crusty communities to avoid such daily challenges to their being.

But that's them if one is simply average middle class or working class then such negative assumptions become even more grating as there is very little one can do to avoid it, being racially profiled is not a thing most white folks will experience while shopping even if they are raggedy as hell and looked broke , it is assumed that the person is just in dress down mode.
I know many perhaps most here cannot believe it's a thing simply because they have never experienced it, and I am not saying that someone won't profile you while shopping or just going about your day, but I can almost guarantee that it's rare.

So lets call it what it is, a self perception that some blacks have that they are being oppressed. I don't hear Hispanics, Native Americans, or other ethnic groups complaining about it. What about orientals? Are they being oppressed by white privilege too?

No one is oppressing blacks. I hear that there are more whites on welfare than any other race. Is this the white privilege that you speak of? Why are there poor whites?

Is it white people's fault that blacks have this perception of being oppressed? Who is oppressing poor whites, other whites or some other "master race"?

You have still failed to explain what white privilege is, you only provided anecdotal stories of blacks being confused with the help.

What should we do about this suppossed white privilege, should we use somthing like Affirmative Action? Should we desegregate white neighborhoods? Should we move whites into black neighborhoods?

I hear a bunch of complaining but ZERO solutions.

Instead of people thinking that whites are holding them back maybe they should focus on making their lives and communities better. The only thing holding people back from success is themselves.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 04:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: Spider879

Calling it white privilege is a misnomer.

Why don't you just say there is a certain prejudice and stop calling it white privileges because it sounds moronic to any hard working white person busting their ass for barely scraps.

Because the name implies a bias in favor "of "as opposed to prejudice against..
Again lemme state this, it does not mean that your life is all grits N gravy and everyone else sucs absolutely, off course people struggle but over all folks who are white tend to get the benefit of the doubts deserving or not. in a similar thread I gave my experience of how as kids we had a hobby of building radios from scratch and getting money for parts was not easy as non of us had jobs, so it was suggested that we boost the parts we needed from radio shack, we were a mixed bunch of Whites,Blacks, Latinos and Asians, on heist day we were all ready, then one Italian kid said that the rest off us should hang back as we were sure to attract unwarranted attention, and the three white guys would go in and pulled the heist , which they did successfully I might add, now even as early teens we were aware of the positive bias in favor of verses the Negative bias against..those kids in effect used their "white privilege " to the benefit of our group, and all of knew it.
edit on 25-2-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: BIGPoJo

So lets call it what it is, a self perception that some blacks have that they are being oppressed. I don't hear Hispanics, Native Americans, or other ethnic groups complaining about it. What about orientals? Are they being oppressed by white privilege too?

Because you haven't been paying attention, Blacks and Latinos do experience more of it but others also complained about it although Asians to a lesser extent.
And being poor for the 5th time have nothing to do with it, it is simply bias in favor of rather than against.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Because you haven't been paying attention, Blacks and Latinos do experience more of it but others also complained about it although Asians to a lesser extent.
And being poor for the 5th time have nothing to do with it, it is simply bias in favor of rather than against.

What should we do about it then? No one seems to have the answer other than "lets get mad at white people because XXX".

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
White privilege is a reality. It isn't a myth. It isn't made up to make anyone feel guilty.

Anecdotal examples of successful minorites never mean anything, geniuses.

How about you get out of your subconciously racist asshole and research what white privilege is. Because it has nothing to do with white men being the devil.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

What should we do about it then? No one seems to have the answer other than "lets get mad at white people because XXX".

Ok first off do not get the impression that positive bias towards whites is a white only thing, black folks and others will have those same bias in favor of whites even if they don't have a deep negative bias against themselves, it's a societal thing, how to fix it?? perhaps if one is self aware maybe one can check one's self before committing to an action or inaction, if you check the second vid about the experimental bike thief the two Black ladies also gave the white bike thief positive bias, all in all it's not something that's on a conscious level most people may not even be where of it. but off course individuals will differ.
edit on 25-2-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: THEatsking
White privilege is a reality. It isn't a myth. It isn't made up to make anyone feel guilty.

Anecdotal examples of successful minorites never mean anything, geniuses.

How about you get out of your subconciously racist asshole and research what white privilege is. Because it has nothing to do with white men being the devil.

If I don't admit that I am a benefactor of white privilege then I am guilty of racism, according to people that believe in white privilege. I have done the research. The theory is that somehow whites (white males in particular) benefit from privilege that was not earned. This is somehow unfair that I was born with white skin (even though I am mixed Caucasian and Native American). But here is the real rub, people who complain about white privilege have zero solutions on how to correct this problem other than forcing whites to admit that they somehow have benefited from it.

White privilege is a concept designed to demonize whites, make blacks feel oppressed, and keep the narrative racial discrimination alive.

Its not my fault I look white, am tall, and male. And no, I will not feel guilty about some perceived notion that other races have about me. I will only remain offended by this notion because it is racism against whites.

This is an illuminating article regarding white privilege.

Washington Post on White Privilege

Admitting that white privilege helps you is really just congratulating yourself

If genuine contrition is the purpose of racial self-criticism, then the exercise is a paradox.

Just as in the fight against heart disease or drunk driving, awareness only has value if it actually leads to a change in behavior, and there’s no sign that these quasi-religious renunciations of privilege have accomplished such change.

The discourse of this school of politics is resolutely immaterial in its language, with endless discussion of acknowledging and feeling and admitting and occupying, almost none of which amounts to what anyone might consider doing.

And if the admission is going to help chip away at white privilege, generally, it has to be tied to some form of action.

So people, what action are we gonig to take to correct "white privilege"?

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Ok first off do not get the impression that positive bias towards whites is a white only thing, black folks and others will have those same bias in favor of whites even if they don't have a deep negative bias against themselves, it's a societal thing, how to fix it?? perhaps if one is self aware maybe one can check one's self before committing to an action or inaction, if you check the second vid about the experimental bike thief the two Black ladies also gave the white bike thief positive bias, all in all it's not something that's on a conscious level most people may not even be where of it. but off course individuals will differ.

Regarding the "bike thief" video, first of all its staged. Secondly, its anecdotal evidence. Thirdly this bias exists for a reason, it has nothing to do with skin color and more to do with perceived cultural bias.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Take a look at this for a bit of 'white privilige'.

www.dailymail.co.uk... theid.html

Not so priviliged as they claim and also only 8% of the world is white, so who exactly is the so called 'ethnic minority'?

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
White privilege only means this. You have an easier time in life in most countries and places if you are a white, Christian heterosexual male. Especially if you are English speaking. That is only because those with power in the last few centuries were white, heterosexual, christian males. They had 98% of the power in the world.

Basic psychology, teaches us that people like people who are like themselves. There fore power was shared, and these people in power helped and negotiated and married and did business deals with people who were white, christian heterosexual males.

That's changing now with how small the world has gotten, and with technology and with how we are changing as a world society.

But, the truth cannot be denied.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: aorAki

originally posted by: nobunaga
im sick and tired ...

do some bloody research on other than a conspiracy site, or stormfront or whatever and educate yourself as to why there is, indeed, 'white privilege'.

Evidence please.

Explaining White Privilege to a Broke White Person...

If you read through the rest of the list, you can see how white people and people of color experience the world in two very different ways. BUT LISTEN: This is not said to make white people feel guilty about their privilege. It's not your fault you were born with white skin and experience these privileges. BUT, whether you realize it or not, you DO benefit from it, and it IS your fault if you don't maintain awareness of that fact.

Peggy McIntosh's 1988 now-famous piece, "White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack." .pdf

It's well worth reading and understanding.
Yes, there IS white privilege...

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: THEatsking

why doesn't someone find me something more than anecdotal evidence of this white privilege?

================
The rest is not directed at theatsking

My family came from Ireland during the potato famine, my father worked 2 jobs while going to school full time to provide for his family.. I joined the military to give me the best options going forward so my dad wouldn't feel obligated to help me while my sister need his support.

I look at my family and whether you mean to or not its highly insulting to us that we only got to our position because we had a leg up on the competition.

You want to talk about societal stero types and how to fight it fine I'm with you, but don't tell me my family didn't earn every penny we have made through effort hard work and occasionally some luck. That will just piss me off and close down any possible useful communication we might have.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Where did that 98% of power 'figure' come from?

Even in the last 50 years, who has been running India, China, Pakistan, Africa, Japan...........?

Look at the world's billionaire list..............I suspect the vast majority on there are not the fabled priviliged.

Lots of so called 'truths' turn out to be something else altogether.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Off course it was a staged experiment to see the difference in reactions and by your reckoning everything is anecdotal because you desire not to see it any other way.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: THEatsking

why doesn't someone find me something more than anecdotal evidence of this white privilege?

================
The rest is not directed at theatsking

My family came from Ireland during the potato famine, my father worked 2 jobs while going to school full time to provide for his family.. I joined the military to give me the best options going forward so my dad wouldn't feel obligated to help me while my sister need his support.

I look at my family and whether you mean to or not its highly insulting to us that we only got to our position because we had a leg up on the competition.

You want to talk about societal stero types and how to fight it fine I'm with you, but don't tell me my family didn't earn every penny we have made through effort hard work and occasionally some luck. That will just piss me off and close down any possible useful communication we might have.

Ok again with the my family worked hard blah blah well so does mine and millions of others, that in no way mean bias in favor of white folks is not real.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: nobunaga
im sick and tired ...

do some bloody research on other than a conspiracy site, or stormfront or whatever and educate yourself as to why there is, indeed, 'white privilege'.

Evidence please.

Explaining White Privilege to a Broke White Person...

If you read through the rest of the list, you can see how white people and people of color experience the world in two very different ways. BUT LISTEN: This is not said to make white people feel guilty about their privilege. It's not your fault you were born with white skin and experience these privileges. BUT, whether you realize it or not, you DO benefit from it, and it IS your fault if you don't maintain awareness of that fact.

Peggy McIntosh's 1988 now-famous piece, "White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack." .pdf

It's well worth reading and understanding.
Yes, there IS white privilege...

What is the action that we should take to stop white privilege?

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Awareness is the beginning.
Understanding and comprehension are further steps.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Awareness is the beginning.
Understanding and comprehension are further steps.

I gave the same answer above..but I guess it won't take because it's all anecdotal.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

What s ridiculous anecdotal story to support another ridiculous notion.

I got my ass beat by the police and a gun held to my head by a white police officer and I'm white and he told me to shut the # up or he was going to put a bullet in my head while I was fully restrained and compliant.

See how I used an anecdotal story to support my position?

I agree there may be racism but white privlidge is a bunch of bull#. Ask any middle to lower class white person about their privilege and they will laugh at you.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Do you think a white person who looks like an outlaw biker can walk around without being stereo typed?

What about a redneck... Or a hippy... Or someone who's ghetto....?

What about living in bad neighborhoods....?

You don't think racism against white people exist... Ever try walking around Watts, or Compton as a white person or The badlands in Philly?

I've lived in horrible dangerous ghettos and thank god I'm a fighter because it's saved my ass a few times.... Just for being a "white boy"
edit on 2/25/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join