It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billions in Possible Fraudulent Obamacare Payments

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The big failure of Obama.Care continues.

Looks like the Government Accountability Office has found that the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Service isn't able to determine if many of the subsidy payments made on behalf of "qualified" individuals for insurance are "eligible" !!!!

The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Service relies on data from the IRS, SSA, and DHS to see if people are qualified to get subsidies.

Seems the GAO has discovered over 400,000 people and $1.7 billion is in question.

I wonder why the GAO can find these problems when the agencies responsible can't?

The fraud is in the wild and maybe unstoppable.

Watchdog Finds Billions in Possible Fraudulent Obamacare Payments

The federal government has failed to properly monitor enrollee eligibility for Obamacare, according to a report by the Government Accountability Office (GAO) As a result, the government has made billions of dollars in Obamacare subsidy payments to individuals that may have been committing fraud.

As the report notes, the system used by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) relies on data sent by three government agencies – the IRS, SSA, and DHS – to check eligibility for Obamacare. However, the system used by CMS is unable to verify many inconsistencies in the data.

This inability to properly verify enrollment has meant billions of dollars have been sent out to enrollees without verifying whether the applicants were fraudulent. As the report notes:

Scams, Inc.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   
The sorry saga continues....

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Oh, what a surprise [/sarcasm]

The healthcare system itself is pretty much 1 huge scam.

From what I've seen just in the last decade, the "Government Accountability Office" doesn't do jack sh*t and NO ONE pulling strings in the higher levels of our government are being held accountable. I don't even want to continue (although I easily could go on for several lengthy paragraphs, just on accountability alone). I'm so frustrated with this crap

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Imagine the rampant fraud if we all end up on Medicare... a'la Bernie Sanders plan!

Oh, the money we will save!

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

How much fraud has actually been discovered again?

That seems like a significant fact to know.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Ummm...well...obviously not...all of it...

YouSir

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

I would ask my doctor what his estimate is of total fraud...but I can't keep my doctor nor my insurance plan.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...well...obviously not...all of it...

YouSir

Any of it?

Perhaps you can, uumm ... point it out?

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Granite

originally posted by: Gryphon66

I would ask my doctor what his estimate is of total fraud...but I can't keep my doctor nor my insurance plan.

Witty.

I'm just asking about the GAO report that this thread is nominally regarding ... how much fraud has GAO discovered?

Is that a hard question?

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

LIAR!

Obamacare saved us all 2500.00 a year!

It's unicorn-care!

/sarc

link   

The GAO report is linked.

I suppose you could read it to see what it says.

link   

Just a heads up everyone about this source -- this "ATR" or whatever. From their "About" page:

ATR was founded in 1985 by Grover Norquist at the request of President Reagan.

ATR.org - About

Grover Nordquist is a scary dude...

I'd be very, very specious and leery of this source. I wouldn't trust it to give honest an accurate information folks. Nordquist pretty much controls the GOP, having them all sign a taxpayer "protection" pledge. If you don't sign it, you're an outsider in your own party and probably will loose reelection.

That's to much power for one man, and this website, apparently is his official mouthpiece. Be forewarned...

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

The GAO report is linked.

I suppose you could read it to see what it says.

I did, actually.

Thus, my question.

Did you read it, OP?

Point out the discovered fraud in the GAO report, please, thank you.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Ummm...all of the fraud...silly...not Obama care...we all know there's WAY more fraud...err...corruption to be had than...why...all the bean counters could ever possibly unravel in your lifetime...
Quit with the perpetual obstinate contrarianism...already...it's getting dated...

YouSir

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...all of the fraud...silly...not Obama care...we all know there's WAY more fraud...err...corruption to be had than...why...all the bean counters could ever possibly unravel in your lifetime...
Quit with the perpetual obstinate contrarianism...already...it's getting dated...

YouSir

I'm not talking about your partisan beliefs ... I'm talking about facts.

Do you have any facts regarding fraud discovered in the GAO report or not?

(And uuummm ... I'll post as I wish within T&C thanks ... personal comments are out of place.)

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Since you seem reluctant to answer ...

CMS has not performed a comprehensive fraud risk assessment—a recommended best practice—of the PPACA enrollment and eligibility process. Until such an assessment is done, CMS is unlikely to know whether existing control activities are suitably designed and implemented to reduce inherent fraud risk to an acceptable level.

GAO Report

Now, are you ready for the good part? Actual facts that I'm sure will make you feel better?

GAO makes eight recommendations, including that CMS consider analyzing outcomes of the verification system, take steps to resolve inconsistencies, and conduct a risk assessment of the potential for fraud in Marketplace applications.

The Department of Health and Human Services concurred with GAO’s recommendations.

So ... problem solved. System working as intended.

GAO found a POSSIBLE issue; HHS acted on their recommendations to solve the issue.

Hooray!

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   

(And uuummm ... I'll post as I wish within T&C thanks ... personal comments are out of place.)

That was hilarious.

Considering this comment just YESTERDAY.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

On topic.

Pick any government program and there is FRAUD running rampant in it.

Obamacare is no different.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Ummm...ahhhh...gryphon...your so cuuuuute...what partisan beliefs might those be...that governments and their programs are inherently corrupt...regardless of which side of that political coin lands in any given political cycle...?

Everybody here know's you've bought the meal ticket on the prog gravy train...that's a given...you do realize that more statism equates to more corruption...right...?

I likey the less is more approach...cause I's a libertarian...it's all about liberty baby...the freedom of NOT...haveing to pay both my bills...and yours...KWIM...?

I do suppose...yawn...that obstinate contrarianism does have it's place...but please...not a daily deluge...it's too much like being water boarded...and a mans just gotsta...breathe...

Don't worry...it doesn't mean I don't love you...silly goose...

YouSir

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Do you have any facts regarding discovered fraud in the linked GAO report from the OP or not?

Straight-forward question to you complaining of "contrarianism" ... do you have an answer to the simple question?

Or not?

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   

You seem to be twisting the article a wee bit there.

The story is suggesting "possible" fraud in the title and in the content based on the recent GAO report.

But since you want verified fraud, here's and article from July 2015 about actual fraud.

Obamacare has a fraud problem

Phony applicants that investigators signed up last year under President Barack Obama's health care law got automatically re-enrolled for 2015. Some were rewarded with even bigger taxpayer subsidies for their insurance premiums, a congressional probe has found.

The nonpartisan Government Accountability Office says 11 counterfeit characters that its investigators created last year were automatically re-enrolled by HealthCare.gov, even though most had unresolved documentation issues. In Obama's terms, they got to keep the coverage they had.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join