It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 Imperial Vermont of Maple Syrup = 11.23 Metric New Brunswicks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Okay. There was an odd conversation at work today, which led into investigation of volume outputs of Maple Syrup in Provinces and States.

It appears that Vermont is the largest producer of Maple Syrup in the United States, producing approximately 890,000 gallons per year. While Québec is the largest producer of Maple Syrup in Canada (about 8,000,000 gallons per year... 75% of the world's supply), I decided to use a province which was on a more comparable level of production... New Brunswick. In Imperial terms, New Brunswick produces 300,000 gallons per year. That would make the conversion rate 1 Vermont = 2.967 New Brunswicks (Imperial)

But who really wants a Canadian unit which involves gallons?

So... converting gallons to litres and working out the conversion correctly gives us the 1 to 11.23 values as in the title.

What would be really perfect and consistent with metric units is if 10 New Brunswicks = 1 Québec (which would make 1 Québec, technically a DecaNewBrunswick... or conversely it would make a New Brunswick, technically a DeciQuébec), but alas, it is more on the order of 26.67 New Brunswicks = 1 Québec.

So... there's a fun fact for the day. I'd like to thank the internet for making me more productive.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: CrikeyMagnet

...So, you guys making it through winter ok? Any cabin fever that you've seen?

Is the canadian internet different than the other internets?

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I beleive maple syrup should be measured in "pancake coverage units" (pcu)s

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein

It's balmy here. Not much snow on the ground. No toques necessary (today at least). I don't see a lot of sunshine, though.

Maybe tomorrow I should concentrate on a conversion rate for Canadian Internet to US Internet... but I suspect there may be regional variation in quality that would make adoption of such a standard very difficult. We certainly can't assume that 1 Internet (CA) is precisely equal to 1 Internet (US)... but defining a better rate could take a team of Canadian mathematicians (or mathematologists) the better part of a metric year!!

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

That leads to personal preferences, though... I personally like a small amount, so as to not damage the structural integrity of the pancake, but I've known people who would dissolve the pancake if sufficient syrup were available.

Can we define a universally suitable pcu?

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   
The amount of syrup it takes to cover a pancake completely (the top part I mean) and such would be the standard. If you like less perhaps 0.5 PCU would be enough. Now we need to standardize the diameter/circumference/area of a pancake. The first two perhaps meaningless as area is all that needs to be standardized.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

I'm afraid it'll be a pretty bad year for Syrupers in VT this year - winter got started late, then once it was here we've had warm days (as warm as 50+ Fahrenheit). From what I understand they want it very very cold early on and then one gradual thaw, we've seen volatility and a late winter - one of my best friends' family make all of their income from their operation so I hope they do ok

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Who cares what is what about maple products when at the end of the day it is gone . I am a big Maple butter fan .I always eat it all no matter what size of container it is in :>)

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   

I love maple syrup but it's more expensive than fuel in the UK

1 liter of Diesel is around £1 at the moment

Half a liter of Maple is anywhere from £3 to £10 depending on the brand

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: dashen
I beleive maple syrup should be measured in "pancake coverage units" (pcu)s

The one problem with this is that PCUs are a measure of area whereas we really need to calculate volume. The standard amount of syrup required to cover one pancake would change depending on viscosity; also an important element in TSEQ (Total Syrup Enjoyment Quotient).

I think a more appropriate unit would therefore be the WIFF: Waffle Indent Fill Factor. A good waffle should have about 16 indents, so 16 wiffs = 1 hexawiff. This carries the added bonus of making it easier to convert into binary.

...Of course it would also depend on whether you're measuring in Standard or Belgian.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384

Silver Dollar pancakes will be publicly shamed. Pancake? More like Pan Cookie!!

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Now I have to wonder if the timing of this posting was insensitive to the plights of Vermontians... or Vermontonians. Vermontadors?

Sliding scale exchange rate? It could be as predictable and dependable as the WTI!

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Maple Butter? What manner of abomination is this?

I mean... it's Maple, obviously... and it's butter... which is good. I can't see how it would be a bad thing.

Okay. I'm in. I'm now on the lookout for this "Maple Butter" of which you speak.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

I recommend halting your investment in hydrocarbons and focusing instead on carbohydrates. It's more expensive per litre, but also so much more valuable.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Then let us shame!

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: mc_squared

I think a more appropriate unit would therefore be the WIFF: Waffle Indent Fill Factor. A good waffle should have about 16 indents, so 16 wiffs = 1 hexawiff. This carries the added bonus of making it easier to convert into binary.

...Of course it would also depend on whether you're measuring in Standard or Belgian.

So... assuming a WIFF of 8 (for my personal preference), what is the Total Pancake Coverage Potential (TPCP) of a single New Brunswick of Maple Syrup?

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Oh man don't make me do any more math right now
The correct answer is: Delicious.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech

I love maple syrup but it's more expensive than fuel in the UK

1 liter of Diesel is around £1 at the moment

Half a liter of Maple is anywhere from £3 to £10 depending on the brand

I can't afford to drink the stuff over here either.
Hearing the words maple syrup reminds me of the movie 'Supertroopers'.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   

If you want to go hard-core maple, try finding a can of this

Maybe this is less hard-core and more weird-core.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

My God. Did you realize that Maple doesn't show up once in the ingredient list? The fact that it comes from Québec is a ruse!! It's only got artificial flavours!!

Maple Butter, on the other hand, appears to be made by boiling maple syrup, then whipping it as it cools. (Although allrecipes.com has a recipe that weirdly introduces corn syrup to it. That's where I should have made my abomination comment. This bizarre Corn/Maple Hybrid will destroy us all!)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join