It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 10 auto-uninstalls programs?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   
So I got Windows 10. I don't like it. It's worse than Windows 7 in so many ways, but I'm a gamer and want DirectX 12 so I didn't have much choice.

I disabled most (if not all) of the tracking BS using Spybot Anti-Beacon. So that's taken care of.

I have W10 Pro so I was able to use services.msc to disable the windows update service (W10 force updates). I will now only ever update if I have to in order to run a game or piece of software I want.

I installed Classic Shell to get the Windows 7 style start menu back, and I got Nimi Places to get containers for my desktop icons so I can sort them alphabetically. (YES THAT'S RIGHT - WINDOWS 10 CAN'T SORT DESKTOP ICONS ALPHABETICALLY!
)

The biggest problem I'm facing now, is that it likes to automatically uninstall programs when it boots up. Right now it's just uninstalling speccy, which is a hardware diagnostic program. It claims that it has a compatibility issue, but when I reinstall it, it runs fine. No problems. Then the next time W10 boots up, it uninstalls it again.

I have heard rumors that this isn't about compatibility issues, it's about Microsoft being able to uninstall pirated software or anything deemed "illegal". Now I don't pirate games or use P2P downloaders, but I do have a lot of music ripped from CD's (I own them, I rip them, don't care what anyone has to say about it) and I also have a few emulators with ROMs from retro consoles I grew up with. It would really suck if W10 were to remove those from what's supposed to be my gaming/home theater PC.

Does anyone have a workaround for the auto-uninstall bullplop it's doing? Like a service I could turn off, or a file I could delete that would stop it? I've looked through the list of services and unfortunately they didn't leave anything obvious in there called "Auto-uninstall service of pure evil" or anything like that.

If there isn't an easy way to shut it off, maybe someone will eventually come up with an app that blocks the auto-uninstaller built into W10? That would be nice.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: peskyhumans

I feel your pain, but after everything I've seen heard and read, a few more fps in games just isn't worth it for me personally. It's taken a few years for Windows 7 to get to a nice stable point, I like how it runs, everything is where I want it to be. Search works... etc. It sounds like you're jumping through hoops to get that windows 7 feel, I just can't live with that crap. Also, I need windows media center! I've got a good twin tv tuner, and windows 10 makes it useless as there is no WMC, and the tv tuner's native software is non working on w10.
Then there is my music recording software, another huge headache...

So even though I love my games to be smooth, to be honest my gtx680 is still doing a decent enough job. Sure, I can't max everything out so much as a few years back, but I've got a huge pile of shame (my Steam games library) of unplayed games, so I'm going to plough through all of them in the mean time until someone invents a usable non-spying invasive windows 10 or Linux alternative that is user friendly. In other words, I'm stuck on W7 for I'm guessing at least 5 more years, depressing...

You just have to ask is DX12 really worth it??? But I bless you on your quest, I do understand the lure though!

(you said its a theatre pc, can i ask what tuner/software you are using for that? or is that just like as a netflix/downloaded video player kind of thing?)

Sorry I'm no help in the uninstalling BS!
edit on 23-2-2016 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

I have it hooked up to an Onkyo 5.1 surround sound system and a 36 inch HDTV. I watch Netflix a lot and also game on it. It has an 8 core Vishera FX 8320E, 16gb of RAM, and a 2gb R7 265 video card. It's been able to play any game I want so far. I'm hoping it will run Star Citizen when it launches, I built it with that in mind. They are planning to get it to run on DX12 now, so I figured I might as well get W10.

I have it mostly set up like I want. I'm just hoping I can turn off that auto-uninstaller. It's aggravating it doesn't even ask you beforehand.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Sounds like a pretty sweet set-up! I hope you get to the bottom of the un-installing thing, but I'm certain there will be others going through the same thing. And like it or not, but I'd say most people are running some form of pirated software on their pc's (some more than others) - so you can bet you're bottom dollar that they will not want windows deciding what they should be installing and be searching out a way to stop it from happening....

unless... I don't suppose you've looked into what ever software you are using as a firewall (if being used other that windows), anti-virus, antimalware software in case they are intervening? Perhaps for example CCcleaner was run and didn't like the software and ran the uninstaller, sometimes they need to be re-booted to finish the uninstall process before windows fully boots because they get integrated within the shell.

So I'd check about that? It might be seeing it installed so tries to uninstall at boot, perhaps investigate there as well? Just an idea. Good luck!

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
NSAsoft's 'Get Windows 10' nagware was all I needed to see to make my decision...

Your not alone though, the problem looks to be extremely widespread.

Windows 10 uninstalling user programs without permission

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Interesting. I keep hearing this, yet my copy of 10 pro doesn't do this with speccy, or any other program. Try compatibility mode, and run as administrator. I'm not sure why there's a difference between yours and mine, but I'd like to find out. I have had very few issues with 10. It runs, and it's stable. And so far, it hasn't uninstalled ANY programs.
Knock on wood. lol.

I will uninstall and reinstall Speccy, and reboot to see what happens. Get back to you.

edit on 2/23/2016 by Klassified because: grammar

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I also do not have any problems with Windows 10, and quite love the interface. I've got Linux boxes, Windows 7 and 8 boxes, and even some old WinXP boxes, and like Windows 10 the best.

I haven't had any issues with it uninstalling ANYTHING without me asking it to, nor do I have an issue with updates. Why do you run Speccy anyway? Don't you already know what's in your PC?

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Oh man....looks like windows 10 will never remove one of their major components of windows 10 which is to essentially identify programs that are not compatible and uninstall them. I think it will be up to software companies to figure out how they eventually get the approval to run their software on 10...

Probably will be a long process as some companies may be dubious around the buy in from consumers to openly accept this operating system..Microsoft was way off the mark with respect to how many people they had hoped would adopt this system for free. They have underestimated consumers that are suspect of anything being really free as they have continued to be vaigue around the overall cost of this in the long run..

I too struggled even getting it to work due to my video card not being recognized...I ultimately ended up staying with 7 pro. As for microsoft being the bootleg police for all media and entertainment I believe it's none of their business what any of us download and the idea that they can notify the authorities or lock your computer is absurd..microsoft should just be concerned with pirated microsoft products only..i can only imagine what deals may be struck with movie companies, software companies and the music industries to ensure people using pirated stuff are outed.

I will say having the ability to play my xbox one games on my pc is tempting but I will wait until 2020 when windows 7 is no longer updated.

Bottom line is if you download and accept the operating system agreement you sign all of your rights away as far as them collecting data, reporting what they deem to be as illegal activity to the authority or rendering your operating system inoperable. Sadly, you agreed to all of it and more..
edit on 23-2-2016 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Seen this a lot lately, seems Windows 10 is inconsistent, some have problems with it uninstalling software, and MS says it can, others having the same or similar setups have no problems. And uninstalling isn't the only inconsistent problems reported.

no worries here, my system is too old for Windows 10. Will probably go with Linux, playforwin and wine for the windows based programs/games that Linux can't handle or have alternatives for.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Disable Windows Defender (and Microsoft Security Essentials if you upgraded from Win 7 and were one of the unlucky ones whose upgrade didn't uninstall MSE as it was supposed to). Use a 3rd party AV/Security program instead. Defender may be identifying programs as malware when they're not, and I understand 10 doesn't give you the option of not doing what Defender wants to do so long as it is running.

Another option is to go back to DirectX 11 and WIndows 7, waiting a few months until the announcement that Vulkan has become so dominant that DirectX 12 will be an afterthought to most developers and the much more sensible, compatible, and profitable Vulkan punts DirectX off the mountaintop. It's not like there's a wealth of DirectX 12 games out there anyway.

(Take this with a grain of salt and do your own research, though. I am a shameless console gamer who only runs emulators, a handfull of heavily modded games, and warez through my PC. For the most part, I despise modern PC gaming if there's a console port available.)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Disable Windows Defender (and Microsoft Security Essentials if you upgraded from Win 7 and were one of the unlucky ones whose upgrade didn't uninstall MSE as it was supposed to). Use a 3rd party AV/Security program instead. Defender may be identifying programs as malware when they're not, and I understand 10 doesn't give you the option of not doing what Defender wants to do so long as it is running.

I run Windows Defender, and have had no such issue. But I wouldn't argue that maybe some have. Interesting point to bring up. Defender does have an option for exclusions, btw.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this.
That's a big NO for me and Windows 10.

Reminded me that Apple iTunes deleted songs I had ripped from CDs I own using winamp many years ago. And conveniently rearranged my CD folders like Hits from the 70's into folders by individual artists. I know, I shouldn't have checked that box, "Keep iTunes media folder organized". But I thought album is an album.

I digress...

No to windows 10 for me.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   

I am running Windows 10 with zero issues right now. I can sort my icons alphabetically. Was your Windows 7 a legit copy or did you download it? If you installed from a DVD does the DVD have a sticker for a label or is it printed on the disc?

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
You have a problem other than Windows 10 . Just because it says Windows is uninstalling the program doesnt mean Windows initiated it. That is the standard message. I have Window's 10 running on 3 different PCs now and use an awful lot of OLD , and I do mean OLD , software. Never had an issue.

Try running the install program in Window's 7 compatibility mode.

Just noticed:

I disabled most (if not all) of the tracking BS using Spybot Anti-Beacon. So that's taken care of.

And disabled update services ?
Do you know exactly what Spybot disabled? If you were using Spybot designed for an earlier version of Windows, therin lies the start of your issue. And probably more to come.

Perhaps not a good move

edit on 23-2-2016 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I feel as though you are blowing this out of proportion. I've been running 10 since release and I've never had a single thing uninstalled by windows automatically.

This problem only pertains to CPUID and Speccy, that's it. There is also a well documented BSOD problem with those programs also.

Windows is not deleting your pirated movies, music, and games, either.

I have a pirated copy of Office 2013, you'd think windows would uninstall that before anything. It hasn't.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mikeyy
I feel as though you are blowing this out of proportion. I've been running 10 since release and I've never had a single thing uninstalled by windows automatically.

This problem only pertains to CPUID and Speccy, that's it. There is also a well documented BSOD problem with those programs also.

Windows is not deleting your pirated movies, music, and games, either.

I have a pirated copy of Office 2013, you'd think windows would uninstall that before anything. It hasn't.

I run CPUID with zero issues, I may have had to reinstall it after the upgrade from 7 to 10 however (non issue imo). The other thing to note, anytime you upgrade from one version of Windows to another its best practice to uninstall your AV program first then install the new compatible version after. I learned that the hard way when going from XP to Vista back in the day.

Regarding Speccy, I have seen only bad forum posts about its various problems which are not related to Windows 10. And why would you use that program more than once or twice a year?

The one problem I have had however is related to RDP. When I RDP to a Windows 10 box (which btw is on Active Directory) and try to open any Office 2007 program; it asks for my license key. It does not happen when I open locally as its already registered. I believe its an issue with RDP user instantiation and how the keys are handled. Minor issue really. Its not a problem if the Office 2007 program is already open. I am sure there is an easy fix but I have done zero research or troubleshooting.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: BIGPoJo

Fresh install of Windows 10 disc purchased from Newegg. I'm not a pirate.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I might look through the local group policy editor when I get home today and search for "compatibility" or "incompatibility" or variations there of, and try to see if I can find something I can disable.

Someone somewhere has to be working on an app to block or disable the auto-uninstaller. I can't imagine this going over well with the many people in IT.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Sorry if this is not to do with your question but I have a question of my own.

You mention you run it on a hdtv. Is the resolution not terrible cCompared to running it on monitor?

So can you not have the game settings lower thus getting higher fps without the need for dx12 and at the same time Windows 10?

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

I use an hdtv for my "monitor" and love it. I think having a dedicated video card helps, you have more control over settings.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join