It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon details plan to close Guantanamo Bay detention center, considering 13 potential US sites

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
can someone briefly explain to me why they are "relocating???"
edit on 23-2-2016 by farmville because: are-read post

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Irishhaf

everyone will be for it till they plan to drop them in your (generic not a specific person), then folks will be up in arms and raging against the injustice of the terrorists being put in their back yard…

Those people want to go home back to their interrupted lives. They won't be allowed to though, can't have a war without POWs…

Another problem, is that in many cases their home country doesn't want to take them back.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

It is mind boggling that 60 prisoners will cost the tax payers 475 MILL….

Half a billion to maintain the illusion of POWs in the war on terror?

Who cares, the tax payers foot that bill. As long the profit margin for the Industrial war machine keeps on rising…

Precisely...

Now do you see why I said that War American style is a business?

Which contractor do you think got most of that 475 million for maintaining Gitmo?
www.motherjones.com...

Want to profit in this economic down turn? Invest in War.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
How can we have prisoners of war when Congress has not declared war in almost a century.

Accepting the existence of prisoners of war, when no war has been openly declared, is similar to that scene in Dogma where the two fallen angels try to reenter heaven. Authority becomes a contradiction. Mr President, who is in control of this war?

Does anyone know what the plan is. Because last round our P.O.W. camps were the envy of the world. Most German P.O.W.s choosing to stay here.

Mike Grouchy

Through negotiations with the proper Defense Dept. officials, arrangements were finalized to obtain a work force of 100 German POW's from Camp Claiborne to harvest pulpwood for the new company. A parcel of land was secured at the Whitehall intersection of US 84 and LA Hwy. 8, featuring a multi-tiered fence topped with multiple strands of gleaming barbed wire surrounding the enclosure. Four barracks were erected inside the compound to house the new ôpulpwoodersö in December of 1944, with the POW's taking up residency during the first week of January 1945.

During the brief stint the POW's were housed there, there never were any helmeted armed guards with dogs on leashes, and electrified fences, because the prisoners obviously relished the break in penal monotony, and liked what they were doing. One prisoner, who at the end of one workday had felt a call from Mother Nature, was overlooked in the loading process to back to the barracks, and was left at the harvest site. He managed to make his way out to a well-traveled road; somehow made himself understood in broken English to a passing motorist he hailed down, and hitchhiked back to the compound. When he walked into the barracks he was smiling from ear to ear, obviously glad to be back at this Central Louisiana substitution for the Fatherland.

edit on 23-2-2016 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Odd thought... if they move them from Gitmo to a super max in the US, have they really ended it or just re branded it?

Seems like to me all it would do is through a coat of whitewash on it...

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
All the US military personnel at Gitmo will now most likely get to be home with their families.

How is that going to happen when Dear Leader is only proposing to close Camp X-Ray which is the detention center? He has no intention of closing the Naval base.

edit on 23-2-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
I bet one "plan" is to give that land back to Cuba.

I think we will keep the base anyway. But I will tell you, for half of the $475 million I will take care of the 60 prisoners and save the US enough money to pay for a few golf games for the President.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Hello. You guys do realize the U.S. rents Gitmo from Cuba, right? We pay a little over $4,000 a month, and they haven't cashed any of the checks, except one, in over fifty years. Castro said that check was cashed by mistake.

It's very strange.

www.reuters.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Annee
All the US military personnel at Gitmo will now most likely get to be home with their families.

How is that going to happen when Dear Leader is only proposing to close Camp X-Ray which is the detention center? He has no intention of closing the Naval base.

I am not a pacifist.

It was just a "feel good" post anyway.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Why do the Republicans want to keep this 1960s prison alive in Cuba?
Its costing the tax payers a lot of money even just to operate.
So much for the Republicans claims of being a less government party.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: farmville
can someone briefly explain to me why they are "relocating???"

Because having a prison for foreign terrorists is "not who we are".

We need to extend our constitution to cover everyone.

Isn't gitmo a military base, anyway?

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Odd thought... if they move them from Gitmo to a super max in the US, have they really ended it or just re branded it?

Seems like to me all it would do is through a coat of whitewash on it...

According to obama, the jihadis will just stop signing up when it's no longer a recruiting tool.

And since when is he worried about saving money?

It's a total political move.
edit on 2 23 2016 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Or want a secure job, work in a defense plant.

The gubment is all uppity about people having guns and making any kind of destructive device. Fireworks even…

But Factories for War are a-okay.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join