It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon details plan to close Guantanamo Bay detention center, considering 13 potential US sites

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Sweet baby jeebus. I will be very curious to see/discover the 13 alternate places they are thinking about moving GB to. I for one dont wish it to be moved anywhere near my residence.

It is mind boggling that 60 prisoners will cost the tax payers 475 MILL.... the article goes on to say

the plan considers 13 different locations in the U.S., including seven existing prison facilities in Colorado, South Carolina and Kansas, as well as six other locations on current military bases. They say the plan doesn't recommend a preferred site and the cost estimates are meant to provide a starting point for a conversation with Congress.

According to the officials, the U.S. facilities would cost between $265 million and $305 million to operate each year. The annual operating cost for Guantanamo is $445 million, but the officials said the Cuba detention center will need about $225 million in repairs and construction costs if it continues to be used.

just wow!!!

Obama will speak at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday morning from the Roosevelt Room, the White House announced, saying the topic would be Guantanamo Bay but giving no further details.

Obama’s address comes as the plan to shut down the controversial facility and transfer the remaining detainees to a holding center in the United States will be delivered to Congress.

The administration will attempt to convince lawmakers to allow the Pentagon to move nearly 60 detainees to the U.S. to a facility that will cost up to $475 million to construct, but could save as much as $180 million a year in operating costs, the administration says.

L I N K

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I bet one "plan" is to give that land back to Cuba.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
I bet one "plan" is to give that land back to Cuba.

Not seeing that being mentioned anywhere.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

I feel bad for those prison personnel..the inmates in the US know more about the guards in most us prisons than the guards know of each other...I really don't care that it is closed..President Obama could have closed it in his first year when the dems ruled the house and senate...even democrats were not of the mindset to close it and put up roadblocks.

When senators and congessman feel the pushback from their people "not in our state" things will get interesting..

As for the reason that I don't care is that the CIA will continue to maintain torture camps in other countries...i look at Quantanamo as a pre release prison with respect to how well the inmates are treated..

edit on 23-2-2016 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   

It is mind boggling that 60 prisoners will cost the tax payers 475 MILL….

Half a billion to maintain the illusion of POWs in the war on terror?

Who cares, the tax payers foot that bill. As long the profit margin for the Industrial war machine keeps on rising…

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
$180 million a year in operating costs. Hhhmm

We should put these guys in a hotel with full room service and save some money. Put some soldiers at the exits and that's that....

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
dont hold your breath...

everyone will be for it till they plan to drop them in your (generic not a specific person), then folks will be up in arms and raging against the injustice of the terrorists being put in their back yard... congress will shift into grid lock while they try to find a place that will accept a bribe to ignore the people. In the mean time they will magically find (see also print) more money to continue operations as is till the aforementioned bribe occurs.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Here is the link to watch it LIVE, (if anyone gives a #)

www.pbs.org...

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I don't know if this is a good idea but Obama did run on closing Guantanamo and if nothing more I can respect someone who keeps their word... in this case anyway. This is something people actually did vote for.
edit on 23-2-2016 by DeadAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Options for housing prisoners in the U.S. include the federal Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado; the military prison in Leavenworth, Kansas; and the Naval Consolidated Brig in Charleston, South Carolina. Pentagon officials visited those sites last year to develop "prototype" plans for converting them into detention facilities.

The additional sites included in Tuesday's plan include other federal and military prisons. The closure plan would not identify a specific facility, though congressional language mandating the plan called for a location to be specified.

The U.S. officials Tuesday said the plan would save the U.S. government between $65 million and $85 million per year compared to housing detainees at Guantanamo. Obama has consisted cited the high costs of keeping prisoners at the Cuba facility as a reason for closing the prison.

Link

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

everyone will be for it till they plan to drop them in your (generic not a specific person), then folks will be up in arms and raging against the injustice of the terrorists being put in their back yard…

Those people want to go home back to their interrupted lives. They won't be allowed to though, can't have a war without POWs…

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   
We spend that much annually on GB alone....and people complain about helping the poor folk. SMH. This country...

Just who is getting rich here annually?

Any Joe Blow could run a prison for 60 inmates at a fraction of that cost ffs!

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Personally I think we never had any business doing this, I feel it set dangerous precedents and did far more harm than good.

That said... president had a near filibuster proof congress, campaigned on closing it and didn't, the govt screwed up... if they force them into prison in the US they risk issues, they release then they risk these people killing US soldiers abroad which will cause issues at home.

At this time we should just let them go and hope they never get in a position to hurt us citizens and soliders abroad.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I think it is a bad idea. I believe we are stuck with Gitmo, and should be. It is our shame. The only thing I would change, is a monument at the entrance with the names of Bush/Cheney so no one can rewrite the history.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
The $225 million for repairs if Gitmo is to be used is what grabs my attention...
When did a hurricane hit the detention center?

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Sadly, the truth is buried too deep.

Even while its being written. As far as monuments, ever see these?

Bush with Nixon on left, and at school book depository right after JFK was assassinated. Note hands in pockets…

image composite

Bronze statue of Bush Senior in Texas, 'hand in pocket'…

And another again, hand in pocket…

bronzed bush

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Hey, all ready to go to Gitmo.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeadAgain
I don't know if this is a good idea but Obama did run on closing Guantanamo and if nothing more I can respect someone who keeps their word... in this case anyway. This is something people actually did vote for.

Yes he did.

I voted for Obama because he said he is a methodical thinker.

He said he would form a committee to study each issue. That he would not be pressured into snap decisions. That he would act only when he felt all information had been discussed, presented, resulting in an informed decision. IMO, that is exactly what he has done.

He addressed this in his presentation.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   
So....If we close Gitmo, does that means if we capture more hardcore terrorists on the battlefield, they get to come stay with us here on our soil?.....probably in a brand new PRIVATELY-owned state of the art detention facility complete with soccer fields, weight room, exercise gym, a super duper kitchen preparing special meals for each dietary need. Did I mention that private prison is probably a brother-in-law deal?

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

You could look at it thus way.

All the US military personnel at Gitmo will now most likely get to be home with their families.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join