It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's on like Donkey Kong at Chuck E Cheese

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

Exactly like Donkey Kong.

Just another day "keepin it real".

Black lives mattering and whatnot.

Hilarious.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
a reply to: SlapMonkey

So the chicken maybe racist! I'm willing to admit that but it
has nothing to do with my OP. And it's more humorous than
racist. Racist on the scale of Archie Bunker isn't racist.
It's funny and everyone should be comfortable with it.
Because the truth is where the best humor lay.

See, that's the problem, though--stereotyping is not racism, although racism is a form of stereotyping. But that synonymous relationship only works one way, and making jokes (which are meant to be funny) based on stereotypes is not racist.

So, making the comment that they were fighting over chicken is not racist, and you should never concede that it is.

At least there were no ribs and forks involved.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

originally posted by: randyvs
a reply to: SlapMonkey

So the chicken maybe racist! I'm willing to admit that but it
has nothing to do with my OP. And it's more humorous than
racist. Racist on the scale of Archie Bunker isn't racist.
It's funny and everyone should be comfortable with it.
Because the truth is where the best humor lay.

See, that's the problem, though--stereotyping is not racism, although racism is a form of stereotyping. But that synonymous relationship only works one way, and making jokes (which are meant to be funny) based on stereotypes is not racist.

So, making the comment that they were fighting over chicken is not racist, and you should never concede that it is.

At least there were no ribs and forks involved.

Please explain how racism is a form of stereotyping.

Also please explain how if I drew a Jewish person have crooked big noses and being all miserly and being tight with money...that that's not offensive? Cuz..hey! It's just a stereotype guys, relax.

My point is you incredibly simplistic views on racism don't change the fact that some things you might not consider racist actually are. And this is coming from a guy who thinks we should be able to say n*gger if black people get to say it, who thinks the Mobos should really exist, who thinks blacking up is fine (not in the al jolson way...)etc...
edit on 23-2-2016 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

My point is you incredibly simplistic views on racism don't change the fact that some things you might not consider racist actually are. And this is coming from a guy who thinks we should be able to say n*gger if black people get to say it, who thinks the Mobos should really exist, who thinks blacking up is fine (not in the al jolson way...)etc..

I just want to know why YOU think this is a bigger issue than adults
acting profusely ignorant in front of their own kids? Then those
same adults want to cry the blues a little later on in life, when
their kid is gunned down, because of the lessons mom and pop
taught them. Or maybe you just don't get that?
edit on Rpm22316v37201600000032 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014

Well, for fear of being a little too blunt, if you know what the definitions of "stereotype" and "racism" are, the answer to your question is pretty obvious.

Stereotyping is...well, I'll let the default Google definition explain it:

a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing.

Racism is:

the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

So, with that in mind, think about what I said now--stereotyping a group of people by saying that they all do something is not necessarily racism. Racism, though, is all about stereotyping other groups based on their race usually in such a way that makes your race superior.

Make sense? It should.

Also please explain how if I drew a Jewish person have crooked big noses and being all miserly and being tight with money...that that's not offensive? Cuz..hey! It's just a stereotype guys, relax.

See, now you're changing the direction of the conversation by bringing offensiveness into the picture, which is not what my comments were about at all. Offense is a subjective thing, not an absolute thing. I had a sculpture professor who was very openly Jewish, but had a great sense of humor and enjoyed and appreciated all forms of comedy, to include comedy based on offensive stereotypes--even *gasp* Jewish stereotypes.

Humor based off of offensive stereotypes isn't for everyone, but for the love of big-nosed, tight-pocket YHWH, let's not pretend it's racism. Sure, it can be used for racist propoganda or xenophobia (like during WWII and Japanese people), but it's not racist by definition--only if it's used in such a way.

But, yes, relax...just like me, as a white guy, laughs at black and Hispanic and Asian comedians who make fun of white-people stereotypes--because I know they're not true, and it's funny.

Relax.

My point is you incredibly simplistic views on racism don't change the fact that some things you might not consider racist actually are. And this is coming from a guy who thinks we should be able to say n*gger if black people get to say it, who thinks the Mobos should really exist, who thinks blacking up is fine (not in the al jolson way...)etc...

And my point is that you're jettisoning the actual definitions of the words I use in order to provide your own subjective commentary, and it's not a proper interpretation of what I said. In fact, you tried to twist what I said to make it conform to your own uses of the words. I tend to use them in accordance with their definitions.
edit on 23-2-2016 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

originally posted by: 3danimator2014

Well, for fear of being a little too blunt, if you know what the definitions of "stereotype" and "racism" are, the answer to your question is pretty obvious.

Stereotyping is...well, I'll let the default Google definition explain it:

a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing.

Racism is:

the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

So, with that in mind, think about what I said now--stereotyping a group of people by saying that they all do something is not necessarily racism. Racism, though, is all about stereotyping other groups based on their race usually in such a way that makes your race superior.

Make sense? It should.

See, now you're changing the direction of the conversation by bringing offensiveness into the picture, which is not what my comments were about at all. Offense is a subjective thing, not an absolute thing. I had a sculpture professor who was very openly Jewish, but had a great sense of humor and enjoyed and appreciated all forms of comedy, to include comedy based on offensive stereotypes--even *gasp* Jewish stereotypes.

Humor based off of offensive stereotypes isn't for everyone, but for the love of big-nosed, tight-pocket YHWH, let's not pretend it's racism. Sure, it can be used for racist propoganda or xenophobia (like during WWII and Japanese people), but it's not racist by definition--only if it's used in such a way.

But, yes, relax...just like me, as a white guy, laughs at black and Hispanic and Asian comedians who make fun of white-people stereotypes--because I know they're not true, and it's funny.

Relax.

And my point is that you're jettisoning the actual definitions of the words I use in order to provide your own subjective commentary, and it's not a proper interpretation of what I said. In fact, you tried to twist what I said to make it conform to your own uses of the words. I tend to use them in accordance with their definitions.

Fine, agree about stereotyping and racism..kind of.

Moving on, I shouldn't have used the word offensive either regards to the Jewish stereotyping, i meant racist which negates all you ranked in about in regards to that. My mistake.

I didn't twist anything you said. It's 3 45 am. I can't be arsed to reply in any further detail. You want to use the "proper definition of words" to excuse being racist? Be my guest . I'm going to bed.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

Now you're just being rude man.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join