It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biological terror threat analysis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I've read, as most of you probably have here on ATS, the policy of what is proposed if there is a nuclear attack on US soil - I'm speaking of MAD, which basically says, if you take us out, we're taking you out, therefore no one wins.
Now what happens if it is a biological attack on US soil? Say some terrorist pours an ampule of some really bad bugs into the air conditioning unit of a shopping mall infecting most if not all of the people in there who take it home to their families, so on and so on. What would the policy of the government be?

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The "policy" is based on the level and "type" of "bug" used. It could be complete containment of the area. Complete containment = airburst incineration. Yes, just like in the movies..............

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   

The "policy" is based on the level and "type" of "bug" used. It could be complete containment of the area. Complete containment = airburst incineration. Yes, just like in the movies..............

Good to hear from you Doc as always. I understand exactly what it is that you're saying, but I was actually curious as to what the policy would be against the "enemy" who did it.
With nukes, they lob one over here, and ours are in the air before theirs even lands. What would it be with bio.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by superdude

Good to hear from you Doc as always. I understand exactly what it is that you're saying, but I was actually curious as to what the policy would be against the "enemy" who did it.
With nukes, they lob one over here, and ours are in the air before theirs even lands. What would it be with bio.

As with nukes each "bug" has a history. Like tracing the specific "elements" in weapons grade plutonium, viruses and bacteria have specific DNA "fingerprints". CDC has a database. The country of origin would be questioned. But it would take some "command" decision to retaliate.

Example the Anthrax attacks were "home grown" pathogens. In (my opinion) the "West Nile" infectious agents were traced to Iraq thru Egypt and Cuba. We nailed Saddam for it.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   

As with nukes each "bug" has a history. Like tracing the specific "elements" in weapons grade plutonium, viruses and bacteria have specific DNA "fingerprints". CDC has a database. The country of origin would be questioned. But it would take some "command" decision to retaliate.

Interesting. I never knew that. So let me ask - if there was a terror attack on the CDC building itself - would it be calamity.
Blow up a nuclear power plant, and while it would be bad, I don't think it even compares to a germ haven like the CDC being blown up.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The "containment" at CDC is very intense. It would take some considerable effort to get the really bad bugs out. They have "considered" such things for some time now. After 911, intensive security reviews were done of all facilities worldwide. Many have been "upgraded". The others are "inert" now.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Dr Horacid wrote

Surely a BW terrorist attack by a group such as Al Qaeda would make detecting the source of the strain meaningless with regard to retaliation.

How do you retaliate against an attacker who isn't a nation state?

zero lift

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by zero lift
Dr Horacid wrote

Surely a BW terrorist attack by a group such as Al Qaeda would make detecting the source of the strain meaningless with regard to retaliation.

How do you retaliate against an attacker who isn't a nation state?

zero lift

It's not a easy as Nuke's but DNA of the original strain is tracable. It is unlikely the Terrorist has the resources to make a weaponized new strain. But it is possible. There are many new labs working on that very problem.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
may i ask, everybody always talks about these bad biological attacks,but surely using a strain of the flu, or even the cold(maybe modified in some way) could also cause colateral(s/p?) damage if realesed,havn't both riped out masses in the past? or am i just being stupid now

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   

may i ask, everybody always talks about these bad biological attacks,but surely using a strain of the flu, or even the cold(maybe modified in some way) could also cause colateral(s/p?) damage if realesed,havn't both riped out masses in the past? or am i just being stupid now

No you are not completely wrong - in fact this is somewhat my point. Avian flu, ebola, swine flu....these are horrible diseases, and I am afraid that man can spread it due to nothing other thn pure unadulterated malice. This is my point exactly

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   

That's why UK military scientists steered clear of planning to use bubonic plague as a weapon.

Mind you it didn't stop them from testing it's possible effects during "hot trials" such as Operation CAULDRON off the Isle of Lewis during the early fifties.

zero lift

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Terror attacks these days just seem to happen for purely psychotic reasons. Look at madrid.. no threats, and no demands. How about OKL City... nope nothing. Seemingly no reason for it at all. 9-11? We don't even really know who did that one... actually.. we are not really sure who did what at all.. or why! Bali bombing? No clue.

So ... why do we THINK that we are going to know who grabbed the nasty virus from the semi-'hostile' country and released it in NAmerica? Who did it? We won't know!

So there will be no one to attack except whoever the administration decides is guilty.

Hope you can live with that! (same goes for the nukes btw)

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 04:05 AM
link   
OKL city bombing(the timothy mcvay one) was a race related bombing apparently(well,it's what i heard on the news just before his exicution)

top topics

join