It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Eurovision Becomes political. Ukraine's Eurovision entry takes aim at Tatars deportation.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 01:16 AM
link   
If the Eurovision wasn't already enough political now a Ukraine's Eurovision entry takes aim at Russia's Crimean Tatars deportation into Turkey and elsewhere.

Ukrainians have chosen a Crimean Tatar singer and her song 1944, about the mass deportation of Tatars under Josef Stalin, to represent the nation

Ukraine's Eurovision entry takes aim at Russian oppression

What Jamala doesnt sing in her song is how the Crimean Tatars were responsible for almost annual, devastating raids into Ukraine and Russia a long time, until the late 18th century, the Crimean Khanate maintained a massive slave trade with the Ottoman Empire and the Middle East which was the most important basis of its economy.

Thats why Turkey is supporting Crimean Tatars in Ukraine. This is one of the few pasts that the new Ukraine is trying to erase.
edit on 22-2-2016 by TaleDawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: TaleDawn

I thought it had to do with reminding the world of Russia's invasion / occupation of Ukraine territory and to point out Russia is once again going after the Tatar population in Ukrainian Crimea.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

You do realize that the Crimean Tatars in Ukraine have being working with the Ottoman Empire so heavenly right?

I thought it had to do with reminding the world of Russia's invasion /

By your post i assume you would prefer to see another Ottoman empire...

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   

The Eurovision? Political? You don't say!

Good grief, it has been political for a bloody AGE!

All the Balkan states voting one another up, all the Northern European states voting each other up, carefully aimed "nul points" all over the place.

This is nothing particularly new.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Ukrainian Song has Turkish Lyrics and this is how soft power works .

Besides Tatar Turks really have suffered , like other Ukrainians , the Russian Yoke wasn't that kind to them either .

Opening title is really worded in a way to deflect the fact that Tatars are Turks .

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: 23432

Besides Tatar Turks really have suffered , like other Ukrainians , the Russian Yoke wasn't that kind to them either .

If i had my one million or half of my population of my nation, country sold unwilling into slavery would i be kind to them after a few years or more?

Probably no. Nor would if that same empire converts my population into religion by force.
edit on 22-2-2016 by TaleDawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   

No end of controversy would get me to watch that show.
As long as no one gets bombed let them have their fun , let's consign the past to the past.

edit on 22-2-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

No end of controversy would get me to watch that show.
As long as no one gets bombed let them have their fun , let's consign the past to the past.

I will watch it for the Comedy value. This song will do well if it is allowed to stand.

The Georgia Putin song was not allowed in 2009..

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: skywatcher44

The people on the YouTube page for the song are comical hilarious, do they even know the history of the Tatar Turks? i assume those people there were completely cool with the ottoman empire.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TaleDawn
a reply to: skywatcher44

The people on the YouTube page for the song are comical hilarious, do they even know the history of the Tatar Turks? i assume those people there were completely cool with the ottoman empire.

The actual Euro vision song contest is a hoot, The Ukraine song is a serious number by a young Tatar which was voted for by the public in the Ukraine. Are all the children of the historical injustices guilty of their ancestors crimes ? Not to me. Some of those children are the Tatars of today now living under the new yoke who decided to roll on in to their current birthplace and home, The Crimea..

www.eurovision.tv...

edit on 23 2 2016 by skywatcher44 because: Added Link

join