It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recording of "outer space" music heard on Farside by Apollo 10 crew

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: data5091
The noise to me anyway sounded a bit different from the noise near Saturn which were charged particles coming in contact with Saturns' magnetic field. Ther moon of course has no magnetic field.

And of course, the VHF radios on the CM have no ability to receive plasma waves, so it doesn't much matter about 'the noise near Saturn'.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: data5091
Just saw the program and the segment on the "music" heard. It was very creepy to be sure! It reminded me of a high wind whine noise. Very very eerie. Unfortunately the program has not been posted yet on the Science Channels website, so I cannot include it yet. But the possible vhf comm link was poo pooed by an astronaut spokesperson who said " the astronauts would know what they should expect to hear and what they would not expect to hear", and this would be one of them. The noise to me anyway sounded a bit different from the noise near Saturn which were charged particles coming in contact with Saturns' magnetic field. Ther moon of course has no magnetic field.

Did you get the impression from the audio/video combinations that the three astronauts were listening to the noise together in the comand module?

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Anyone who cares to read the actual transcript will find something disconcerting a few lines on from this exchange.

Apollo 10 Lunar Module (LM) Onboard Voice Transcription, Day 5 page 195

04 06 13 29 LMP " isn't that weird, eerie...John ? "

04 06 13 34 " Yes I got it too.... and see who was outside."

So who was outside over the far side of the Moon when there was nothing else from here up there? Yes I checked, nothing from NASA and the Soviet missions had either blown up on take off or failed to make stable Earth orbit before setting off for the Moon.
"Who" not "what". I find it hard to come up with an explanation for that comment which doesn't involve alien spacecraft.
The "music" has been explained as interference and maybe it was but whatever the source the crew suspected it was coming from somebody close by.
I leave it to members to decide whether the media's handling of this story lends weight to either the conspiracy or cock - up theory of history, but the quoted lines are on the same page of the transcript, available on the Nasa.gov site. Happy reading.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Nice find
a reply to: Riffrafter

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigfoot73

This is what the AFJ has

102:13:29 Cernan (in Snoopy): Mine's all burned off. isn't that weird - eerie, John?
102:13:34 Young: Yes, I got it, too. I was going to see who was outside.

here are the actual words on the tape.

102:13:29 Cernan (in Snoopy): Mine's all burned off. Ain't that eer..weiry, John?
102:13:34 Young: Yes, I got it, too. I was going to go out and see who was outside.

Do you think it remotely possible that maybe, just maybe, Young was joking?

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Thank you for the explanation. I had not considered that... I'll definitely chalk it up as one pretty likely possibility, although I imagine there were probably multiple reasons. And I think you're probably right, the possibility of ET phoning was probably not one of them.

It does seem a little strange that it took decades for someone to find it after declassification. Why would such an interesting portion of such an amazing accomplishment be buried to such an extent, even unintentionally? I would think that all the data regarding the backside of the moon would be of scientific importance. Its not often that we get a human being seperated from the earth at such a great distance and with a moon sized object between them.

Analyzing their conversations could be a good learning tool for the future of space travel. There could be behavioral/psychological effects detected, or health concerns that might be at least somewhat discernable from changes in tone, or clues from the actual topic of conversation if not outright direct statements such as "my chest hearts".

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Well if that's what he actually said then yes he probably was. i've not heard the actual tape just read the transcripts. that's quite a difference. What is AFJ?

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I do not believe we have been visited by aliens. I do not believe there were any on the Moon when the Apollo mission landed there. I believe there is life out there in the universe but the distances are too far for them to travel to earth or a planet in our solar system.

However, I have some pretty extensive training and experience in radio communications and know what feedback is and I have never heard anything like this. I do not believe NASA's explanation. It just does not sound like a feedback loop which is an assault to the ears. This sound is closer though not exact to whale sounds. I can't say what it is of course but there has to be a different explanation that not even NASA knows. No aliens though.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: icewater

Is it possible that the VHF feedback interference would sound different since they were on the far side of the Moon? Don't forget, their VHF radios would have been shielded from any other background noise or background interference that you are accustomed to on Earth, which would have made the feedback interference pure.

So could that pure interference (lacking any of the other background noise from Earth) sound odd due to being so pure?

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People
a reply to: icewater

Is it possible that the VHF feedback interference would sound different since they were on the far side of the Moon? Don't forget, their VHF radios would have been shielded from any other background noise or background interference that you are accustomed to on Earth, which would have made the feedback interference pure.

So could that pure interference (lacking any of the other background noise from Earth) sound odd due to being so pure?

I don't think background noise ever has anything to do with a feedback loop. After all the loop is a closed system and it is basically caused by the amplifiers exponentially boosting the sound within the loop over and over again measured in micro-seconds. Space is a vacuum, the purest way that sound travels. Without any loss. This sound is probably some sort of harmonic that is enjoying the pure atmospheric conditions. Radios in that era could even have had vacuum tubes (very high fidelity) but they can produce noise (and heat). Of course I am guessing and have no intimate knowledge of how NASA rigged communications in the capsules but I know what we are used to today and what the NASA astronauts had are two different things.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigfoot73

So who was outside over the far side of the Moon when there was nothing else from here up there? Yes I checked, nothing from NASA and the Soviet missions had either blown up on take off or failed to make stable Earth orbit before setting off for the Moon.
"Who" not "what". I find it hard to come up with an explanation for that comment which doesn't involve alien spacecraft.

To make sure -- you do realize from the LM, the CM was flying free outside?

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimOberg

originally posted by: Bigfoot73

Bigfoot may have stumbled on something here. There were several Soviet missions that failed when their unmanned lunar modules disappeared and were unaccounted for right around this time. It is possible one of them were emitting some weird transmission from the surface of the Moon.

By the way, why is it our Moon is the only moon in our solar system without a name? Every planet's moons are named except our Moon.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
If someone finds the raw video that's not part of the documentary with the dudes saying "sounds like outer space type music" without the stupid music they added overtop of it that would be the perfect sample at the end of a song (and the rest of the thread wants it too), until then I have to settle with "well that sure is weird music"

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: JimOberg

T

It seems unlikely they would have found the CM worth mentioning. Besides which if what OneBigMonkeyToo posted is correct then interpretation of their comments has been skewed by the vagaries of NASA transcription etiquette.
I haven't listened to the tapes yet but John young was just having a poorly recorded laugh then the CM issue matters even less than if he was referring to an alien craft.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Where's the music?

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

There is no question that they heard these sounds. The question is, "what was the cause?".

Yeah...that was basically what I was getting at in my prior post (not the one you responded to).

As I stated in a previous post:

...there is NO SOUND in space that can be HEARD by the astronauts (within the context the OP story is suggesting,) - Space is a vacuum.

I would say it's not "a bunch of horse manure" in as much as that they DID IN FACT hear eerie whooshing and whistling sounds over the radio which was caused (as per the one of the possible explanations, one which seems plausible) by VHF feedback interference from the radios of the two spacecraft.

It is indeed "horse manure" what the OP story and video is suggesting as being the cause - "outer space" music. If it is indeed caused by VHF feedback interference from the radios of the two spacecraft - then what is the big deal about that...?

In other words: It's a sensationalized story about nothing...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 24-2-2016 by Involutionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

You can get some interesting sounding noise out of various sources. I had a tape I'd made out of RF noise coming from an old four-banger calculator, it was quite musical and interesting.

Had one of those creepy moments once when we were (for odd and confusing reasons) trying to measure domain noise on a big magnet, I decided it might be useful to listen to it, put a tape head in the field and hooked an amp to it. The magnet was putting off this sound like wind blowing through a canyon, complete with whistling noises.

Ah...you peaked my interest with that story! Thank you once again for sharing your knowledge with me. I appreciate it.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: icewater
Space is a vacuum, the purest way that sound travels. Without any loss.

Sound doesn't travel in a vacuum at all. The loss is total.

This sound is probably some sort of harmonic that is enjoying the pure atmospheric conditions. Radios in that era could even have had vacuum tubes (very high fidelity) but they can produce noise (and heat).

Radio doesn't depend on an atmosphere whatever.

The LM and CM radios work differently in different mission states. When the LM loses lock on Earth on S-band, it dumps telemetry to the CM on the VHF B channel. There are other modes as well, that change depending on the astronauts' settings in the CM and LM, and depending on all that, the signal processors in the LM and CM will rearrange the usage of the S-band and VHF radios, moving voice channels and data channels around between different radios.

So it makes sense that there can be types of audio channel noise that only happen in certain flight modes. A lot of rearranging happens when the LM doesn't have S-band lock on Earth.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Found a decent vid with the actual audio . . . probably the biggest letdown ever. It's amazing the crap news outlets come up with for page clicks, that's what my cordless phone sounds like when I use the microwave.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: captainpudding

I listened to parts of the whole tape recording from the LM during the landing simulation. That static noise was present the whole time, not just when they experienced loss of signal (LOS) on the far side of the Moon.

I believe the actual "music" that they heard was only present in their headphones. I'm not sure how NUF found the recording, or whether the sound they presented was a simulation.

-dex

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join