It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recording of "outer space" music heard on Farside by Apollo 10 crew

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Riffrafter...
What surprised me was how he acts. There is no excuse for rude or disrespectful behavior - especially the totally unwarranted kind.

So far, I've been shown correct on all the facts, and you not so much. Let's press on and collect and share and assess facts.

The transcripts have been available since the mid-1970s, and the noisy radio link was well known, and shrugged off.

As a senior comm console operator during Apollo, one of my mentors and friends for the first shuttle missions, told me today about Apollo-10, "We had REAL $hit to worry about," and saw nothing unexplainable about the ship-to-ship noise. He got a good laugh at anybody crazy enough to think aliens were involved [his words].

Gene Cernan, on that mission, issued a statement today as well, which I have no reason to doubt. Do you?

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
*Sarcasm* Probably just one of the stage technicians that turned his radio up too loud while listening to music. *Sarcasm*

-MM

edit on 22-2-2016 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

It's not sound, though. They're picking up the motion of a few hundred particles per ml of space using an antenna, then converting it to sound with an amplifier.

Ah...thank you for taking the time and energy to explain. I appreciate that bit of information.

Mostly, it's hype to get you to buy it. If they had said "Music of charged particles being buffeted about by electric and magnetic field fluctuations", it wouldn't sell.

I feel you. However, I still find the recording of complex interactions of charged electromagnetic particles from solar wind, ionosphere, and planetary magnetosphere, and the resulting sounds the process of using a plasma wave antenna produces, very appealing despite it not actually being "music of the spheres".

Back to the O.P: I suppose we both conclude the Apollo story is a bunch of horse manure based on the fact no sound exist in space.

Have a great week.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

originally posted by: Lurker1
Two radios interfering with each other? Please.

The same sounds were recorded by Cassini at Saturn, so there has to be another explanation.

The Moon's core acts like a loudspeaker with respect to the Solar Wind by distorting the field lines of plasma?

There may not be a magnetic field but the side facing the Sun builds up a strong static charge. So that's going
to generate some electric fields.

Respectfully, do you have a link for that?

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Involutionist

Back to the O.P: I suppose we both conclude the Apollo story is a bunch of horse manure based on the fact no sound exist in space.

I would say it's not "a bunch of horse manure" in as much as that they DID IN FACT hear eerie whooshing and whistling sounds over the radio which was caused (as per the one of the possible explanations, one which seems plausible) by VHF feedback interference from the radios of the two spacecraft.

There is no question that they heard these sounds. The question is, "what was the cause?".

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Skush

Me, too - Only articles I found today did not specifically say, 'here listen, this is what they heard.
Guess it's still classified- waste of my time - click bait

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   
i hope someday nasa says screw it and releases all their secret files. im sure they have some more goodies like this one buried in their vault! maybe they have proof of aliens but its still buried in red tape?

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   
gotta call b.s.

sounds like they took some old tapes of soundtracks Kubrick had worked up and now that the artist is dead they are tossing this into the kitty…

and does anyone actually believe these people aren't mostly scripted? someone call casting and replace the girl, btw…she sounds fake.

ever see the interview of the first astronauts when they supposedly get back from the moon?

I mean gimme a break: if these guys went to the moon the way we were told then pigs can indeed fly:

Psychotic apollo11 press conference RKO
youtu.be...

Apollo 11 Post Flight Press Conference (1969)
youtu.be...

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: JourneymanWelder
i hope someday nasa says screw it and releases all their secret files. im sure they have some more goodies like this one buried in their vault! maybe they have proof of aliens but its still buried in red tape?

This
was
never
buried
in
their
vaults.

The TV show lied about it to attract a bigger audience they figured were easy to fool.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

Electrons spiraling along field lines of earth's magnetic field release radio energy

In fact exoplanet astronomers looking for evidence of a magnetic field on exo solar planets use this principle
to determine if planet has a magnetic field and thus candidate for life

Nothing here.....

Move along.....

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: mouthfullofkefirgrains

I'm probably going to regret asking this, but what problem do you have with that press conference?

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

Though, they don't reveal the actual sound, I'd assume there is some variation in tone, for the Astranauts to refer to it as space music... otherwise they probably would have used the term "static interference" or noise.
Just my opinion of course.
Would love to hear what they heard.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Involutionist
I feel you. However, I still find the recording of complex interactions of charged electromagnetic particles from solar wind, ionosphere, and planetary magnetosphere, and the resulting sounds the process of using a plasma wave antenna produces, very appealing despite it not actually being "music of the spheres".

You can get some interesting sounding noise out of various sources. I had a tape I'd made out of RF noise coming from an old four-banger calculator, it was quite musical and interesting.

Had one of those creepy moments once when we were (for odd and confusing reasons) trying to measure domain noise on a big magnet, I decided it might be useful to listen to it, put a tape head in the field and hooked an amp to it. The magnet was putting off this sound like wind blowing through a canyon, complete with whistling noises.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 01:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

There is no question that they heard these sounds. The question is, "what was the cause?".

Well, one thing to ask is 'Why did they only hear it at certain times, one of which was when they were on the back side of the Moon', and a possible answer is, when the LM and CM fall out of communication link with Earth, the LM brings up VHF Channel B and sends telemetry on that link to the CM, where it was recorded on tape for a later dump to Earth when they emerged.

That only happened in certain circumstances, and being on the back side is one. So there's a difference you wouldn't normally see, but it does happen then.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Most people here, if not all, already understand that planets and stars, and even galaxies resonate at their own frequencies, and thus emit sound.

For example, here is the sound of Neptune:

Sounds the sun makes:

Sounds of Saturn:

Oh, and BTW, here is the music that was heard when they were on the far side of the moon, in case anyone was actually looking for it:

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 02:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: JackReyes
Most people here, if not all, already understand that planets and stars, and even galaxies resonate at their own frequencies, and thus emit sound.

Well, no, no they don't. There isn't any sound in space. There's really no way for a galaxy to resonate that I know of. You'd have to specify what sort of resonance and how that might occur. At least planets and stars are physically contiguous.

For example, here is the sound of Neptune:

Actually, no. As discussed just upthread, what that is is the output of a plasma wave receiver on a spacecraft as it goes past Neptune. Neptune's electric and magnetic fields are pushing charged particles around, which cause electric field fluctuations that the spacecraft can detect. Not sound, not resonance.

eta: that's not what they heard on the VHF channels. Someone's having you on.
edit on 23-2-2016 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Yes, most of that is obvious, that you can't literally hear in the vacuum of space, because there is no air for sound waves to travel through.

But they do make sound. In fact if there was a medium over which sound waves could travel, the sounds the sun itself makes would be beyond belief in magnitude. We are fortunate the sounds it literally makes does not reach the earth.

As far as the sounds in the above recordings I thought it was also common knowledge they were recordings of charged particles either created by the planets themselves or bouncing off of them, and can be caused by both electromagnetic waves, and charged particles.

But to think that these recordings translated into sound don't really mean they make sound doesn't make sense.

I mean really, you don't think that a huge solar flare, if there were a sound medium for the sound from them to travel through, would not be making literal sounds? Or imagine the sound of the plasma as it moves around on the surface of the sun. While perhaps the literal sound they create travels a very very short distance because of the lack of a medium for it to travel further, it does not mean the sun does not make literal sound.

And they also make "songs" which can be recorded and transferred into digital form as sound. So they do make sounds. And I believe most people here already know this, as you pointed out someone explained it in a lot more technical detail than I above.

Oh, and what do you think about that last video, the music recorded on the dark side of the moon?
edit on 23-2-2016 by JackReyes because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-2-2016 by JackReyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: JackReyes

But they do make sound. In fact if there was a medium over which sound waves could travel, the sounds the sun itself makes would be beyond belief in magnitude. We are fortunate the sounds it literally makes does not reach the earth.

They don't reach the spacecraft from which that recording you posted was made, either. Those aren't "sounds", which was my point. Characterizing them as such was a way of dumbing it down for a sales pitch for the recordings.

As far as the sounds in the above recordings I thought it was also common knowledge they were recordings of charged particles either created by the planets themselves or bouncing off of them, and can be caused by both electromagnetic waves, and charged particles.

Yeah...except in your post you said that they 'resonate at their own frequencies and thus emit sound...here is the sound of the Sun, here is the sound of Saturn' etc. Which is an awful lot to me like you were saying they were emitting sound that the spacecraft recorded as it went by.

And they also make "songs" which can be recorded and transferred into digital form as sound. So they do make sounds.

Emitting an electrical signal which is transliterated into a recording to listen to isn't 'making sounds', any more than putting an AM radio next to a calculator and recording the resulting noise means the calculator is 'making sounds'. It's more like 'here's a neat signal that you can listen to'.

Oh, and what do you think about that last video, the music recorded on the dark side of the moon?

When I played it, it sounded a lot like a muddy low volume rick roll or something. 80's pop music. That's not what they heard.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 02:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

it is [ IMHO ] telling that they dont actually interview any of the apollo 10 crew

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 03:06 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Indeed.

John Young doesn't tend to do much of this kind of thing tough. Not sure about Stafford but Cernan isn't exactly hard to find (particularly as he is promoting a film at the moment. Neither of the latter two mention it in their autobiographies, and Cernan is quoted as saying he doesn't remember hearing music. Not surprising, because what he heard wasn't music.

I'm going to see Cernan in April - maybe I'll ask him if I get the chance

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join