It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey Demands US Brand Kurds "Terrorists" If Washington refuses, "measures will be taken."

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Will the US just do whatever turkey wants to keep access to a military instalation?
Tell turkey to get their own business done. We need to start keeping our military out of other people's problems.
I don't think we need military bases all around the world .
We need to use our military to protect our country instead of going around the world and making things worse than they ever were and just expect people to forget about it.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Didn't read the article or highlights, just your part of your OP, but that was plenty. Erdogan is a D-Bag in many ways, and I think he believes he will soon be the Caliph of the "revived Ottoman Empire", and I believed some of his actions (both known/confirmed and rumored/suspected) reflect that.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 01:08 AM
link   
All signs are showing we are in the midst of WW3, this will only get worse...

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shuye
All signs are showing we are in the midst of WW3, this will only get worse...

Not in the midst, just labor pains right now. But, soon the confluence of events will become a storm that will suck the world into iWW3 whether they like it or not. There are labor pains showing all over the world. The middle east is building a fuse and will probably start the conflagration that will destroy great and small. I look at what preparations the countries and elite have been preparing when they didn't even do that level of supply and bunker development during the cold war, a time when nuclear holocaust was on a hair trigger. The world has been preparing their rabbit holes because those in power, be it governments or corporate elite know what is coming.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   
It utterly amazes me that with America's and some Western Allies love affair with deposing Heads of State they don't like or won't be their puppets, they haven't distorted to go for Erdogan. Perhaps his time is coming?

One big question though isn't a large proportion of oil actually on the land called Kurdistan? Now there's the crux of the matter and why the fat little Turkish man is salivating over the Kurds. Who interestingly are the largest ethnic group in the world denied their own homeland - its even called Kurdistan but somehow after WW1 they didn't get it allocated to their rightful claim.

With Erdogan taking his tentative little steps into Syria who knows where he will toddle with his troops next?

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   
We should free the hell out of turkey and Saudi Arabia

Muricuh!

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Well to be honest the YPG are pretty much terrorists. They work with the PKK which the US and everybody else recognizes a terrorist organization and they have among their membership Turkish members of Marxist-Leninist Communist Party another terrorist group. However, The YPG were formed after Syrian forces crushed a Kurdish uprising in 2004. So they hate Assad and they hate ISIS and they can fight. So the US is willing to ignore the terrorist ties and the fact they tend to attack the other Syrian Kurdish groups whenever they want something they have.

So yeah the YPG are not good guys but, they are useful so long as they hate ISIS and Assad. And since most Kurdish groups in Syria do no get along with them, their is no reason they can not be used now and then dealt with later. Granted I can see why the Turks see them as a more immediate problem but, if the can just be patient they can get what they want later.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 04:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: rigel4

I'd have no problem with that, save for this...

Is NATO membership keeping him in check, or giving him the moxie to do all this? Until we know which one, not sure if expelling Turkey would be wise. But it'd be an option, certainly.

That’s a very good point that i had only half considered..
keeping him in NATO could be NATO's strategy for now.

Russia might think of taking liberty's otherwise?

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: rigel4

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: rigel4

I'd have no problem with that, save for this...

Is NATO membership keeping him in check, or giving him the moxie to do all this? Until we know which one, not sure if expelling Turkey would be wise. But it'd be an option, certainly.

That’s a very good point that i had only half considered..
keeping him in NATO could be NATO's strategy for now.

Russia might think of taking liberty's otherwise?

NATO has already said they will not support Turkish aggression and will not be dragged into a war with Russia.
youtu.be...

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
Well to be honest the YPG are pretty much terrorists. They work with the PKK which the US and everybody else recognizes a terrorist organization and they have among their membership Turkish members of Marxist-Leninist Communist Party another terrorist group.

Their ties with the PKK are undeniable, but does that connection automatically make them terrorists? What about the Iraqi-Kurdish Peshmerga, who have worked with the PKK in Iraq?

The YPG rides a fine line, but they are a separate organisation to the PKK (even though they cooperate and share ideologies with one another). They aren't considered a terrorist organisation by many countries (only Turkey comes to mind), and they haven't committed any terrorist attacks (ignoring the allegations made by the Turkish government in recent days).

Are they good guys? Certainly not. Every group in Syria has its fair share of problems, but the YPG aren't widely recognised as a terrorist organisation, despite any connections they may have with the PKK.

However, The YPG were formed after Syrian forces crushed a Kurdish uprising in 2004. So they hate Assad and they hate ISIS and they can fight. So the US is willing to ignore the terrorist ties and the fact they tend to attack the other Syrian Kurdish groups whenever they want something they have.

So yeah the YPG are not good guys but, they are useful so long as they hate ISIS and Assad. And since most Kurdish groups in Syria do no get along with them, their is no reason they can not be used now and then dealt with later. Granted I can see why the Turks see them as a more immediate problem but, if the can just be patient they can get what they want later.

While the YPG was founded as an armed wing of the PYD, it has been officially recognised, within the Arbil agreement, as being under the command of the Kurdish Supreme Committee. In actuality, the PYD still retains most of the power over the group, but these agreements between the Syrian Kurdish parties show that they are able to put political disagreements aside. It is also evidence that the YPG has become more than just an armed wing of one political party, now evolving into an armed group of a region and an active participant of the SDF, which has larger plans for the country. This may not last, if Kurdish political history is anything to go by, but it goes some ways in showing that they aren't as divisive as they were at the start of the Syrian civil war.

Of course Turkey has a lot to be worried about when it comes to the PKK and its connections with the YPG, but the way Rojava is going, it seems it would do them well to engage in diplomacy with the PYD/Kurdish Supreme Committee, rather than throw international tantrums about other states not seeing eye-to-eye with them on the situation. They can keep hitting the PKK all they want, but as it stands, the YPG is not currently recognised as a terrorist organisation by most of the world.

edit on 21-2-2016 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Turkey Demands US Brand Kurds "Terrorists" If Washington refuses, "measures will be taken."

Sounds like blackmail.

Maybe spill the beans about what was going on in libya and benghazi?

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   
No need to worry for Erdogan, once the Kurds stop being useful idiots and cannonfodder against ISIS, the US will brand them as terrorists and throw them under the bus in no time, as usual.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
The Kurds have been the only bright spot in Iraq and in fighting ISIS , actually I think the other way, Iraq, Turkey and Syria should be given an ultimatum, annihilate ISIS in 6 months or the Kurds get even more arms and get their own country. That should motivate them, and if they fail, carry through with that, set the borders for a new Kurdistan carved out mostly of Iraq and also Syria. Leave Turkeys borders alone but you know that would tick them off. A side effect is that Kurds having there own country, they would probably stop doing terrorism in Turkey as they had already had a country so what would the point be.
edit on 21-2-2016 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Maybe Erdogan has noticed the change in the wind and is giving NATO that last chance, you know the one right? The one you give to the person you don't trust at all because of past history but that you can't just straight up dump because, you know, history?

He has certainly been testing NATO's allegiance by basically splashing down into already troubled waters.

Perhaps his thinking is along those lines, particularly if he believes that Russian influence is increasing in the region.

The only thing I know about the whole ME thing? It's an unfathomable mess.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

I would rather trust either of the Kurds then Turkey. Russia claims that Turkey is supporting terrorists seems to be coming true. I have failed to see any actions agaisnt ISIS by Turkey other then their claims of fighting them but in reality Turkey is only fighting and massacring the kurds.

I do mot understand why some here continue to defend the Turkish state? do they want an Ottoman Empire?
edit on 21-2-2016 by TaleDawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
He has to do something now... with trying to whip the turks into a frenzy against the Kurds once Isis is taken care of, a world of hurt will flow back in his direction, he has to break them now before that time occurs.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Read that, Turkey is engaging the Kurds who are shooting at the US backed insurgents.

If Washington refuses(?) Try Brussels, headquarters of NATO , of which Turkey is a member.

Isn't Proxy warfare grandly disingenuous?

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

NATO has already said they will not support Turkish aggression and will not be dragged into a war with Russia.

And Russia is only pounding "Terrorists" for Syria, not attacking US backed (21 flavor) insurgents.

Just like Vietnam. Endless little profit making venture for both sides. The Syrians caught in the middle of the mega power block squeeze.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Turkey rather pounds the Kurds than ISIS. Check the map syria.liveuamap.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I dont know him, but Im already tired of his muslim dictatorship wannabe...

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join