It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Referendum 23 June 2016 - Will it be an EU BREXIT or Not?

page: 152
<< 149  150  151    153  154  155 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 02:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite

Boy they are desperate..........................

Brexit: Nationalism makes you weak, poor and morally insecure, EU warns

uk.yahoo.com...

Love it when the EU 'doom mongers' about us and how bad Brexit will be for us.

Have they got an answer yet on filling the huge gap in their economy when rhe

UK no longer contributes the second largest contribution to the EU economy

This is why I think that much business will continue more or less as usual purely because it will damage EU countries and companies if it doesn't! And EU companies are not going to change they long standing reliable and quality supply chains because that is self destructive! There will be some impacts on both sides of No Deal but that will all settle down and sort its self out over a few years! And we will then be outside of a club that can never bring sustained economic growth to its membership. The EU club is just a protectionist zone!!

A UK outside this zone will be able to easily breach and attract new markets, bringing along new trade deals etc. Which will in the longer term enable the UK economy to steadily out grow those countries in the EU.

I have said this all along and anyone who is familiar with how international business and trade works/develops will understand this. I think there are too many piggy backing contributors who don't really know what they are talking about who only increase the projected doom!

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Here is another example of typical BBC bias reporting...
Grand National 'could be hit by no deal Brexit' warns racing group
The headline of the article makes you think Brexit is the cause and how awful it will be how Irish and French horses being unable to come to England to compete in the famous race.
But at the end of the article it says...

We (UK) do get horses from further afield than France and Ireland to compete in our races and we have an established procedure in place to deal with those countries. The big question will be - and this is a matter for our colleagues in Ireland and France to be representing to their own governments and the Commission - is whether the Commission chooses to reciprocate.

So it's not us the British that is making things difficult, it will be the EU commission!

So the title of the article should read more like "EU commission could bloke horses from entering Grand National after Brexit", as that is the reality, but BBC love their propaganda.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Have just read a very interesting article by Atiku Abubakar, who is a businessman

and philanthropist, he was Nigeria's vice-president from 1999 to 2007 and is a

presidential candidate in February's election.

AFRICA LONGS FOR BREXIT, says ATIKU ABUBAKAR

In 1960 British prime minister Harold Macmillan embarked on a tour of African colonies, famously proclaiming that a "wind of change" was blowing through the continent. It was an acknowledgement that African nations were ready to govern themselves and the days of Empire were ending.

It was a moment where Britain looked into the future and saw new possibilities while countries like Nigeria saw a chance to thrive as an independent state.
That spirit helped us to reform the old imperial partnership into the Commonwealth. We were able to move forward together as partners and friends instead of masters and servants.

Now, 58 years later, as the current Prime Minister Theresa May tours Africa, a new wind of change is blowing. The wind has a name - **Brexit.**
While some in Europe see it as a destructive power this new wind, if harnessed properly, could blow life back into the old relationships in the Commonwealth and fan the fires of progress and prosperity in Nigeria and across Africa.

My sincere belief is that Brexit can be a great force for good. It could blow down barriers which have prevented Nigeria and other countries from grasping their potential.

Let us face facts: Britain's membership of the EU should compliment its older Commonwealth relationships. It should not have been an either/or situation.

The EU's single market is a great example of free trade but where it becomes a case of fortress Europe against the rest of the world then free trade suffers. It imposes high tariffs, particularly on agricultural products but also minerals which punish countries such as Nigeria, preventing us from turning ourselves into an economic powerhouse.

Macmillan's speech was a mutual recognition of change for the benefit of all both in Africa and Britain.

And yet time and again we are hit by EU tariffs on products such as sugar cane and rice. This is aimed at protecting European producers, often for products which are not farmed in Britain.

Sugar cane from Nigeria faces a 115.4 per cent tariff while if we refine it for human consumption it becomes 375.6 per cent. Impossible to trade.

Rice, maize and other cereals face tariffs of more than 50 per cent. This is an EU protection racket which drives up prices in Britain and deliberately holds back developing nations. The poorest in my country and yours pay the highest price for this.

As Mrs May visits our nation this week I urge her to look at a more ambitious project. Let us renew the Commonwealth by going for a Commonwealth freetrade agreement between all its members.

The future is in Africa and Asia, not Europe. At the moment the Commonwealth has a GDP worth £10trillion - behind the EU's £11trillion but it is catching up and will pass it.

Already, the UK is exploring free-trade deals with Australia and New Zealand, two important Commonwealth members but I hope the Prime Minister pushes for deals in Africa.

It is time to release the African lion economies such as Nigeria, South Africa and Kenya. We can be the catalyst for a worldwide Commonwealth trade deal with none of disadvantages of the EU's attempt to run Britain from Brussels.

My message to Mrs May is think big and harness this new wind of change for the good of Britain, Nigeria, Africa and the world.

www.express.co.uk...

Well how about it Mrs May? Sounds good to me!!

edit on 26-8-2018 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: 83Liberty
Here is another example of typical BBC bias reporting...
Grand National 'could be hit by no deal Brexit' warns racing group
The headline of the article makes you think Brexit is the cause and how awful it will be how Irish and French horses being unable to come to England to compete in the famous race.
But at the end of the article it says...

We (UK) do get horses from further afield than France and Ireland to compete in our races and we have an established procedure in place to deal with those countries. The big question will be - and this is a matter for our colleagues in Ireland and France to be representing to their own governments and the Commission - is whether the Commission chooses to reciprocate.

So it's not us the British that is making things difficult, it will be the EU commission!

So the title of the article should read more like "EU commission could bloke horses from entering Grand National after Brexit", as that is the reality, but BBC love their propaganda.
We all know who's side the BBC is on and bias!

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

Have just read a very interesting article by Atiku Abubakar, who is a businessman

and philanthropist, he was Nigeria's vice-president from 1999 to 2007 and is a

presidential candidate in February's election.

AFRICA LONGS FOR BREXIT, says ATIKU ABUBAKAR

In 1960 British prime minister Harold Macmillan embarked on a tour of African colonies, famously proclaiming that a "wind of change" was blowing through the continent. It was an acknowledgement that African nations were ready to govern themselves and the days of Empire were ending.

It was a moment where Britain looked into the future and saw new possibilities while countries like Nigeria saw a chance to thrive as an independent state.
That spirit helped us to reform the old imperial partnership into the Commonwealth. We were able to move forward together as partners and friends instead of masters and servants.

Now, 58 years later, as the current Prime Minister Theresa May tours Africa, a new wind of change is blowing. The wind has a name - **Brexit.**
While some in Europe see it as a destructive power this new wind, if harnessed properly, could blow life back into the old relationships in the Commonwealth and fan the fires of progress and prosperity in Nigeria and across Africa.

My sincere belief is that Brexit can be a great force for good. It could blow down barriers which have prevented Nigeria and other countries from grasping their potential.

Let us face facts: Britain's membership of the EU should compliment its older Commonwealth relationships. It should not have been an either/or situation.

The EU's single market is a great example of free trade but where it becomes a case of fortress Europe against the rest of the world then free trade suffers. It imposes high tariffs, particularly on agricultural products but also minerals which punish countries such as Nigeria, preventing us from turning ourselves into an economic powerhouse.

Macmillan's speech was a mutual recognition of change for the benefit of all both in Africa and Britain.

And yet time and again we are hit by EU tariffs on products such as sugar cane and rice. This is aimed at protecting European producers, often for products which are not farmed in Britain.

Sugar cane from Nigeria faces a 115.4 per cent tariff while if we refine it for human consumption it becomes 375.6 per cent. Impossible to trade.

Rice, maize and other cereals face tariffs of more than 50 per cent. This is an EU protection racket which drives up prices in Britain and deliberately holds back developing nations. The poorest in my country and yours pay the highest price for this.

As Mrs May visits our nation this week I urge her to look at a more ambitious project. Let us renew the Commonwealth by going for a Commonwealth freetrade agreement between all its members.

The future is in Africa and Asia, not Europe. At the moment the Commonwealth has a GDP worth £10trillion - behind the EU's £11trillion but it is catching up and will pass it.

Already, the UK is exploring free-trade deals with Australia and New Zealand, two important Commonwealth members but I hope the Prime Minister pushes for deals in Africa.

It is time to release the African lion economies such as Nigeria, South Africa and Kenya. We can be the catalyst for a worldwide Commonwealth trade deal with none of disadvantages of the EU's attempt to run Britain from Brussels.

My message to Mrs May is think big and harness this new wind of change for the good of Britain, Nigeria, Africa and the world.

www.express.co.uk...

Well how about it Mrs May? Sounds good to me!!

Nice article. It is good to get an African nations perspective. And I do agree with much that is said!

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Now there's a revelation..................................

Theresa May says no deal Brexit 'wouldn't be the end of the world' as she rejects chancellor’s stark warning

uk.yahoo.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Thank f.ck for that!

Barnier threatened to BOYCOTT Brexit talks if May insisted on basing the deal on her Chequers plan

www.msn.com... =BBoPWjQ

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   

"The former European Council President, Herman Van Rompuy has

warned the UK that crashing out of the EU without a deal poses an

existential threat to the UK itself. The ex Belgian PM said 'We could

end up with a situation in which the EU27 becomes more united, and

the UK less united."

He wishes ..... He would do better spending his time on figuring out how to

fill the gap left by UK's annual financial contribution, AND the much larger

hole left in their economy when the severance money is NO LONGER ON THE

TABLE.

And YES we are leaving BECAUSE we do not wish to remain unitedly saddled

to the corrupt EU. Quite happy for the 27 to enjoy that privalige.

I have to say I still cant get my head around why we have to pay to leave a

club of which we were a reluctant and deceived member..... Why we need a

divorce, we were never married

Phillip Hammond has signed off at least £92 million to fund a 'satellite navigation

system' which will rival the EU's Galileo programme. It comes after the European

Commission said "The UK cannot play a full part in Galileo - even though the UK

helped create it."

Is this the European Court of Justice's unbiased ruling?

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 02:04 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia
He's completely deluded of course. Every member state's general elections for the past few years have seen massive swings to anti-EU parties, so I would say that the EU has never been as divided, and that division will only increase.

I have to say I still cant get my head around why we have to pay to leave a club of which we were a reluctant and deceived member

I don't think we're actually paying to leave. The so called 'divorce bill' is basically the cost of two years worth of staying in the EU (for the two-year transition period), but I bet we will also have to pay for things we signed up to that go beyond 2020, when the transition period ends.

We should sack the transition period off, surely it gives more uncertainty to businesses, which was the main reason they wanted a transition period in the first place!

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 03:05 AM
link   
It's all kicking off in the English Channel !

French fishermen have been accused of throwing insults, rocks and smoke bombs at their British rivals in the English Channel in a vicious scrap over scallops

Source

Typical French breaking rules and agreements

I wonder if the EU will condemn this?

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   

He's completely deluded of course. Every member state's general elections for the past few years have seen massive swings to anti-EU parties, so I would say that the EU has never been as divided, and that division will only increase.

Van Rompuy is deluded......

Juncker is drunker......

Merkle It seems has lost her voice? been very quiet of late.....

The EU doesn't have a lot going for it at present?

The cracks are showing.

I don't think we're actually paying to leave. The so called 'divorce bill' is basically the cost of two years worth of staying in the EU (for the two-year transition period), but I bet we will also have to pay for things we signed up to that go beyond 2020, when the transition period ends.

I wish I'd been able to have a transitional period when I divorced, would

have really helped me through the lean times.

We should sack the transition period off, surely it gives more uncertainty to businesses

Totally agree with you there - just gives the EU more licence for extraction.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   
They are worried that there might be no deal which will hurt them.......

Macron 'softens position to avoid no-deal Brexit' as Barnier raises prospect of a bespoke trade pact for Britain

uk.yahoo.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Seems to me that it is not just the call for a 2nd BREXIT vote that's a betrayal of trust but also the proposing of a Chequers FAKEXIT plan and by the very lady who talks about a 2nd BREXIT vote betrayal. Mind boggles!!

PM slams call for second Brexit vote as 'betrayal of trust'

www.msn.com...

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 02:32 AM
link   
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite
I think she will go down as one of the weakest prime ministers in history.
Did you see her dancing in Africa? How embarrassing.

She has also said that she will not be pushed into compromises on her Chequers agreement 'that are not in the national interest'. So basically, we can expect compromises to come.

I was just wondering how being tied to a common rule book with the EU and if we deviate from that common rulebook, the EU will be liable for compensation from us (the Chequers plan), is in the national interest?

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 03:40 AM
link   

a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite
I think she will go down as one of the weakest prime ministers in history.
Did you see her dancing in Africa? How embarrassing.

She has also said that she will not be pushed into compromises on her Chequers agreement 'that are not in the national interest'. So basically, we can expect compromises to come.

I was just wondering how being tied to a common rule book with the EU and if we deviate from that common rulebook, the EU will be liable for compensation from us (the Chequers plan), is in the national interest?

Seems the EU has the UK well and truly hogg tied in .... AGAIN as always in its

own interest!!

One of the top reasons to Brexit was to gain our S-O-V-E-R-E-I-G-N-T-Y back .......

What part of that is Theresa May not understanding?

Never mind dancing and making a fool of herself, Boris needs a word in her ear

reminding her that sovereignty means ....

*In the context of global politics, a sovereign government is a government that

operates its own independent nation without interference from foreign powers.*

I for one will be happy with no less.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 01:53 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia
The trouble is that the Brexit negotiations have been a complete farce and time is running out. Mrs May has her Chequers plan and she won't go back on it now. She doesn't have a clue and too busy listening to her backroom 'advisors'.

We will either get a watered down Chequers deal or a no deal in my opinion. I'm hoping Boris and co can get rid of her and strike a free trade deal with the EU but maybe too late for that now though.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 05:29 AM
link   
One says end of EU and the other says still in the EU.................I favour the latter. However, I do think that if we leave with no Deal that it will be the beginning of the end of the failed EU project!

Barnier trashes PM's Brexit plan as 'end' for EU

www.msn.com...

David Davis: PM’s Chequers plan is actually almost worse than being in EU

www.msn.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Think Tank - More like Think Crank. The economy is not doing bad, if anything will cause a recession it will be a) the over inflated housing market and b) businesses too paranoid or brainwashed to infest/expand etc.

No Deal Brexit Would Risk Recession, Warns Leading Think-Tank

www.msn.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Theresa May's Chequers deal is a 'fix' that will only lead to victory for Brussels, Boris Johnson says

www.msn.com... =BBoPWjQ

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 05:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite

It really annoys me when politicians like Chuka Umunna and Nick Clegg demand another vote on the final deal, they even have the cheek to call it a "people's vote".
We had the people's vote on 23rd June 2016 and we decided to LEAVE.

The government clearly stated (verbally and in that £9million booklet they delivered through everyone's door) that they would honor the result of the referendum, and since then they have been purposely dragging their heels and causing as much problems as possible (like making up terms like hard and soft Brexit).

I would only accept another vote if.. Yes = Leave with Gov's final deal, No = Leave with no deal.
When you play roulette and the ball does not fall on your number you cant demand another spin! A peoples vote is just that and 2 people's votes makes it not a people's vote because you could argue the the results should be averaged out of 2 people's votes. No how ridiculous is that. Might as well make it best of three. 1 vote = democracy, 2 votes = no democracy!

No, when you play roulette and your number doesn't come up, if you can afford to you back another spin, you might go the same way but you may chose another route depending on several factors. Much like the reason a lot of people think another vote in order is because the deal we end up with might be worse than the deal we get staying in the EU. The sensible thing would be to have another vote on the final deal. Not a referendum on whether we should leave or not. A vote on which deal we should get, nobody in the UK should be trusting the politicians to make this choice for us and it scares me how many people are.

Also 1 vote does not equel Democracy. Technically 1 vote would be a dictatorship, 2 would be a stalemate and 3 would be Democracy...
edit on 4/9/18 by djz3ro because: Spelling

new topics

top topics

<< 149  150  151    153  154  155 >>

join