It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crowdsourced Science Could Discover Ancient Civilizations—And Maybe Even Aliens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Crowdsourced Science Could Discover Ancient Civilizations—And Maybe Even Aliens

Sarah Parcak is a space archaeologist who is this year’s TED Prize winner. Her unique work involves analyzing satellite imagery with computers to hunt for hints of buried ancient civilizations, structures, or artifacts. In Egypt alone, she’s identified 17 potential new pyramid sites, as well as 1,000 tombs and 3,100 unknown settlements. But with the amount of imagery that exists, it’s impossible for her and a few professionals to analyze it all.

Thats where you come in.

Join the hunt? All you need is some spare time, Are you game? If I had more time and a better home set up I'd dive into this as much as possible myself. However that's not presently the case. Maybe some here not only have the time but the interest. In either case I thought I'd help get the word out.

With the $1 million in funding that comes with the prize, Parcak is launching a citizen science site that will ask people from all over the world to help analyze satellite imagery, identifying structures they think could be significant as well as looking for signs of looting that could destroy treasured ancient history.

"I wish for us to discover the millions of unknown archaeological sites around the world by creating a 21st-century army of global explorers," Parcak said on stage at TED 2016. In addition to discovery, the project "will help create a new global alarm system to help protect sites."

If the project goes anything like Planet Hunters, another citizen science project from TED speaker and Yale University astrophysicist Tabetha Boyajian, then there will be a lot to unearth. In her talk, Boyajian described a recent mystery that has rocked the space world over the last few years.

If you do decide to get involved and help please keep us here at ATS informed and up to date

edit on 20-2-2016 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 04:08 AM
link   
This would prove most interesting...
Initially my first thoughts goto some of the best areas for sites already known... Russia China and the Bermuda triangle come to mind for example.
Knowing where things are and being able to get at them are two different things.
Im afraid this would prove true for most future finds.Quite a shame really as there is indeed so much to learn...

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Good initiative, not a bad way to spend 1 million dollars.
Interesting to see how this evolves, thanks for the news Slayer.

I wonder what Zahi says of this

So when will this be available, any news on that?

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

The site doesn't mention 'How to get involved?'

I'd imagine a ot of people would have the time to help.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I pity those who will have to sift through all the false positives...

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I think the writing is "on the walls" in the literal sense. Ancient man had an obsession of drawing something that didn't look like ancient man. Even as recent as Egyptian Pharaoh times we see this.

Were they infused with religion? Maybe. Did they see something/someone they could only describe in drawings to represent the difference? Probably.

Ancient man wouldn't have global ties like modern man, I could see aliens playing with the ancient ant farm earth. Hell we would do it if we found a planet with primitive life, we do it here on earth.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

After following a few links, it seems the prize money she won would initially fund building of the basic Global Xplorer platform, and they are after other investors at this stage.

Investors needed

But you can sign up for emails on progress if interested once the platform is up and running.

Email updates link

Thanks Slayer for posting this.

edit on Feb504848743America/Chicago2016-02-20T10:50:48-06:00k by MissBeck because: spelling error

top topics

join