It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dark matter might have killed the dinosaurs (dark matter theory)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I know what you're likely thinking.

No, I'm not drunk.
No, I've not been smoking or taking anything.

I just saw this article on wired.com (one of my usual clicks a day) and thought I'd share it here.

It's got some good hypotheses and some sound science.

Here's the first part of the link to give an idea.

Harvard University's Lisa Randall is a theoretical particle physicist focusing on extra dimensions of space and dark matter. In her fourth book, Dark Matter and the Dinosaurs (Bodley Head), Randall explores the interconnectedness of the Universe, theorising that dark matter may have caused Earth's major extinction event 66 million years ago

Full article can be found HERE
edit on 193719/2/1616 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   
No, just no..

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

The physicist is essentially saying that there may be a "dark matter disc" at the center of the "galactic plane" of the Milky Way, and that as our solar system "bobs" up and down along the galactic plane, that this disc could have pulled the comets towards earth

(the title seemed misleading to me but once you read it the theory makes more sense)

Thanks for sharing OP!

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Kantjil

You might want to read the actual article.. going by the title alone I would've said the same thing

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

The physicist is essentially saying that there may be a "dark matter disc" at the center of the "galactic plane" of the Milky Way, and that as our solar system "bobs" up and down along the galactic plane, that this disc could have pulled the comets towards earth

(the title seemed misleading to me but once you read it the theory makes more sense)

Thanks for sharing OP!

I just copied the title from the article.

I find it interesting to theorise about such things especially when it makes sense without having to stretch reality too far.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   

always blaming the darks... that's just racist

Interesting take about pulling the comets too Earth.. Not sure how she will ever prove this theory true, but interesting nevertheless

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537

always blaming the darks... that's just racist

Interesting take about pulling the comets too Earth.. Not sure how she will ever prove this theory true, but interesting nevertheless

I'm not sure how she'd prove it either. Dark matter is a touchy subject for some people, but I find it very interesting.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
The physicist, Lisa Randall has a pretty impressive track record as well

Professor Randall was the first tenured woman in the Princeton physics department and the first tenured female theoretical physicist at Harvard.[a][8][9]

You go girl!

Wiki

edit on 19-2-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

I've always believed it was caused by a super volcano erupting.Like the one in Sumatra 75,000 years ago that almost wiped out the human race,at least we'll be better prepared when Yellowstone blows.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

The physicist, Lisa Randall has a pretty impressive track record as well

Professor Randall was the first tenured woman in the Princeton physics department and the first tenured female theoretical physicist at Harvard.[a][8][9]

You go girl!

Wiki

Yeah, I did some digging before I posted to make sure she wasn't some crackpot.

Her ideas might be a bit "out there" for some people though, but that's why I find theoretical physics so enjoyable.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
it would be interesting if an area of excessive dark matter might cause gravitational anomalies in the solar system... Ooh, even better, growing understanding of the nature of gravity waves might be able to narrow down the attributes of dark matter.

If we could "See" dark matter by measuring gravity waves that would be fascinating.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Imagewerx

I've always believed it was caused by a super volcano erupting.Like the one in Sumatra 75,000 years ago that almost wiped out the human race,at least we'll be better prepared when Yellowstone blows.

I think the proof of an asteroid far outweighs a super volcano at this point. But that's the joy of science, if more proof of the super volcano comes up it might end up changing to the most plausible explanation.

Science is all about being the best explanation with proof it can find, which means that theories can change with more knowledge of certain things.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Whoever outright dismisses this theory is ignorant at best.

Here's my contribution,

Dark Matter May Have Caused Earth’s Cataclysms, Mass Extinctions

S+F for exposure.

ETA: Here is another related thread. theabsolutetruth is also well versed in this department. I would love for her to stop by and share her thoughts.

edit on 19-2-2016 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
Whoever outright dismisses this theory is ignorant at best.

Here's my contribution.

Dark Matter May Have Caused Earth’s Cataclysms, Mass Extinctions

S+F for exposure.

i skimmed over the first page and its essentially the same theory, but posted about a year ago.

I'll have to read more of your thread.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

After looking at your additions with your edit. I never realised this theory was such a mainstream (for lack of a better word) theory within theoretical physics.

Seems like it's a very popular theory indeed.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Thanks for sharing OP!

What this guy said. I've read the theory before, the title should have probably made it more clear because most people are just going to skip the thread as being ridiculous.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   
We wont be able to really nail down gravity waves till 2025 at least....till the LIGO gets its satelites up out there in space.....
The project just confirmed their existence....
Who knows what dark undercurrents lurk in the heart of the universe....

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Anything is possible when we know nothing, nor cannot prove anything...

Kewl Idea tho...........

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: DogMeat
Anything is possible when we know nothing, nor cannot prove anything...

Kewl Idea tho...........

That's the thing. You can't see Dark Matter. No "Dark Matter Disk" has ever been found. Yes, the Solar System wobbles about the Galactic Center. So....

IF there is Dark Matter in our galaxy, and
IF this Dark Matter is in the form of a DIsk, and
IF this disk is above or below the Galactic Center, and
IF our Solar System periodically wandered into this disk's influence, and
IF this disk's influence were to break comets loose from the Oort Cloud, and
IF one of those comets hit the Earth 60 million years ago, then
Dead Dinosaurs.

I do not think it is ignorant to point out that this is a pretty long chain of theoretical "Ifs" to get from postulating the existence of Dark Matter to Dead Dinosaurs. OK, it's acknowledged speculation. But there is no good reason to place this chain of speculation at the forefront of Dead Dinosaur Theories.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
In episode 3 of Cosmos (the original), Carl Sagan states something similar... but he says it was "anti-matter" that could have been the culprit. I realize that anti-matter and dark-matter are probably not the same thing, but having watched this yesterday it just came to mind...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join